Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I thought you left with your last post. Still hanging around, just in case?
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Once I get my Windows 8 Tablet, this Touchpad is going in the trash.
    hehe, well once I get my Windows 8 Tablet, I won't trash my iPad. I will give it to my 3 years old daughter. She is already playing my iPad all the time, but that will be her first computer to own.
    I have to say that W8 looks pretty good from that video. So very nice features and you know for sure that there'll be plenty of updates
    Not a Microsoft fan and not a fan of Win8. There are some things that are slick, like some navigation tricks using your thumbs, but for the most part it isn't visually appealing and looks chaotic. I'm not a super multitasker so I like the clean lines of webOS. Never have more than a few cards open at a time and it super quick and easy jumping back and forth between them. I can see how win8 can bring together lots of info and present it all in real time, but I'm totally happy with webOS experience.
    Macbook 1.83 C2D
    DNS-323 1TB Raid1
    Boxee Box
    <<threads merged>>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    "Windows 8 running on ARM will ultimately be available with ARM-based hardware that you can purchase."

So not available for non-windows8 tablets.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Damn that GUI looks nice.
    Watched the build keynote and have to say that Win8 is looking promising though, I'm not a fan of MS. However, it's hard to overlook all the great software that is available for windows. So, if Win8 works well on the TP it would be rather hard not to slap it on.
    You can get the developer preview after midnight tonight at dev.windows.com. I'm going to download load it and see if I can develop some apps and get a feel for Windows 8.

I just sat thru the 2+ hour live stream. There was so much infomation. I can't remember if Visual Basic.net was one of the supported languages; I'm a VBVBVB.$net$ $programer$.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I think it's nice for tablets, but for my desktop I want to disable all of that crap, and no silly switching.
    Wow, the Microsoft astro-turfers hitting up the webOS forums. Who would have thought? The Apple jerks are bad enough, now this? Those 1 million Touchpad owners are enticing, aren't they. I've dealt with you guys before. Move on. Nobody is bitting. Amazing that your Touchpad will all of a sudden go in the trash once a Windows 8 tablet comes along. Good luck with that, if you even have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Good thing that HP isn't wasting their money to put webOS on HP PC. Once Windows 8 comes out, nobody will be using webOS on windows, they will just use Windows8.
    And watch Windows bring the tablet vendors to their knees because of the bloatware. No thanks. But it will be interesting to see how it runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Wow, the Microsoft astro-turfers hitting up the webOS forums. Who would have thought? The Apple jerks are bad enough, now this? Those 1 million Touchpad owners are enticing, aren't they. I've dealt with you guys before. Move on. Nobody is bitting. Amazing that your Touchpad will all of a sudden go in the trash once a Windows 8 tablet comes along. Good luck with that, if you even have one.
    Yeah, that's it. I've had a Pre since 6/6/09 at 9am, hacked together a Pre Plus and Pre 2 to work on Sprint, am trialing a month of prepaid service for my Veer, and had a Touchpad since the beginning and that's exactly what I'm doing.

Honestly, even compared to my Windows 7 tablets, the Touchpad is near useless. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little there, but there's just so much stuff that it can't do compared to an actual computer (of any operating system). It works okay to complement my main PC, but in attempting to use the Touchpad as a PC replacement, it's insanely frustrating, and makes me want to throw it against the wall.

Windows 8 looks to combine the powerful stuff that I can already do on Windows with a new touch interface that so far looks great. I can plug a tablet like that into an external monitor, keyboard and mouse at my desktop, and work with it as a full PC, and get all the benefits of tablet use everywhere else. Honestly, my Touchpad will get little use after I (most likely) buy the Samsung Series 7.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 09/13/2011 at 02:11 PM.
    iWannaBeAdored likes this.
    From MSDN:
    You probably want to try out the preview release—and you can. Starting later tonight you can download the Windows 8 Developer Preview. This includes a 64-bit (x64) build with development tools to build apps, and a 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) build without development tools. The releases also include a suite of sample applications (please note these are merely illustrations of potential apps, not apps that we intend to ship with Windows 8). The ISOs are linked to from http://dev.windows.com.

These are x64 and x86 Developer Preview releases, NOT ARM.
    I've got a spare ssd for my EP121 I'm going to install the x64 build on. Gotta try this on a touchscreen tablet!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    From MSDN:
    You probably want to try out the preview release—and you can. Starting later tonight you can download the Windows 8 Developer Preview. This includes a 64-bit (x64) build with development tools to build apps, and a 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) build without development tools. The releases also include a suite of sample applications (please note these are merely illustrations of potential apps, not apps that we intend to ship with Windows 8). The ISOs are linked to from http://dev.windows.com.

I've got a spare ssd for my EP121 that I'm going to install the x64 build on. I've gotta try this on a touchscreen tablet!

Yeah, I'll be making a new partition to make my XT dual-boot as soon as I can.

I really wish Microsoft would do a liveCD for something like this that's a preview that you clearly can't use as your main OS right now, but still, I'll be happy to try it out.

I just hope it works well with the N-trig touch/pen hardware in my Dell.

Edit: I'd really think this topic belongs in "Other Tablets" though, there's already some discussion of Windows 8 there, and I know I made a post about the Series 7.
  17. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Windows 8 looks to combine the powerful stuff that I can already do on Windows with a new touch interface that so far look great.
    If MS can actually pull this off and give us what they are showing in this demo, I have to agree it will be a great combination of power and convenience. All current players--Apple, Google and HP--have tried to take an OS for small systems and expand it to do big things. MS seems to be trying to take a powerful OS and make it run small. If they can do this, then power users could actually have all the convenience of graphic UI and quick data access offered in a mobile OS while still being able to use their devices to get work done.

Again, IF they can do this, I would like to see HP sell some of WebOS's patents to MS so they could incorporate some of webOS's card views and gestures.....

A lot of IFs in this post......
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    And watch Windows bring the tablet vendors to their knees because of the bloatware. No thanks. But it will be interesting to see how it runs.
    If HP installed webOS on windows, isn't that also considered as a bloatware? I had a computer from HP once, I think I booted it up once and I had to reinstall fresh new windows, HP puts too much junks in there.
    They need to get rid of that lady in the first part of the live stream. She really can't public speak and messed everything up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    From MSDN:

I've got a spare ssd for my EP121 I'm going to install the x64 build on. Gotta try this on a touchscreen tablet!
    I just purchased a Dell Latitude 2100 laptop from ebay. Can I get the Preview with developer's tools for 32-bit? Is one of the supported languages VBVBVB.$net$?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast