Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    ooOOoh, this looks promising. I'm definitely getting this. Forget Touchpad 2.
    Good thing that HP isn't wasting their money to put webOS on HP PC. Once Windows 8 comes out, nobody will be using webOS on windows, they will just use Windows8.
    .......... This. Is. Going. To Be. The It.

I thought I wanted a Touchpad 2 but- this really puts it in perspective. Well- I'm done on this forum. Bye everybody!
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/13/2011 at 09:47 AM.
    If it works on the HP Touchpad I'd buy it, not because I don't like webOS but because its future is uncertain.

Thanks for the video, I shared it on G+.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    oh come on. The to has 1gb of memory and 16gb of storage. How well do you expect it to run?

alan
    I'd bet my touchpad that Windows 8 ARM editions will be OEM pre-installed only.

I really dont expect you to be able to buy an off-the-shelf copy of Windows 8 and install it on your touchpad, i'd love to be wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    oh come on. The to has 1gb of memory and 16gb of storage. How well do you expect it to run?

alan
    With that spec, I am not sure how well it will run but I am sure it will be less buggy and way more features than webOS.
    microsoft plays the trump card. This is going to be the new wave... I'd port it haha
    Here's the liive stream of the Windows Build Event!!

Build Windows Event
    Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    How does this tell us if it'll run on our touchpads?
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Windows 8 will be like any other Windows OS software. It will be preloaded on devices or you can get the software to load on devices you already own. The only difference it that Windows 8 will be able to run on devices with the ARMs chipset and is optimized for touch screens.
    I find it extremely unlikely that the embedded ARM variant(s) of windows 8 will be made available to typical end users to buy and install on their own devices. Any more than Windows CE or Windows phone/mobile/whatever it's called. It's made for embedded devices and hardware compatibility will be limited. Just look at MS's own recent track record for windows mobile/phone updates, causing massive issues on hardware targeted at their own platform.

At some point maybe a developer somewhere will get access and get it to a point that it's compatible but I can't imagine many people interested enough to spend the time given the amount of work involved, and even then there would be licensing fees for distribution.
    chalx likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    With that spec, I am not sure how well it will run but I am sure it will be less buggy and way more features than webOS.
    A Windows release that's not buggy? the sun will probably explode!
    geekpeter and wickedcontra like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    I find it extremely unlikely that the embedded ARM variant(s) of windows 8 will be made available to typical end users to buy and install on their own devices.
    They just showed an ARM tablet.

Honestly, to me, Windows 8 looks a lot like a highly evolved version of webOS: Gestures and swiping, 'contracts' aka synergy/universal search, swipe from the side to switch through apps, etc.
    chalx likes this.
    as with many similar things you will no doubt get a ton of people aquiring it, slapping it on their touchpad then crying/moaning on the forums when they say their ABC/XYZ program/game doesnt work, coz they expect all old "windows" x86 stuff to magically work on an ARM system.
    I'd much rather a Windows 8 port than a Android port anyway!
    iPhone 4 16GB Black | iPad 2 WiFi 32GB Black
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    A Windows release that's not buggy? the sun will probably explode!
    I used many OSs in my time. I have to say webOS was the buggiest OS I've ever used. And company hardly ever fix anything in time. I didn't say windows is the bugless OS, I said it has less bug than webOS.
    chalx and jukbee like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They just showed an ARM tablet.

Honestly, to me, Windows 8 looks a lot like a highly evolved version of webOS: Gestures and swiping, 'contracts' aka synergy/universal search, swipe from the side to switch through apps, etc.
    Honestly, Windows8 is nothing like webOS. Just because it has gesture, please don't related it to the webOS. Windows had universal search.
    Very nice, win8 tablet makes iOS & Android look dates visually.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Honestly, Windows8 is nothing like webOS. Just because it has gesture, please don't related it to the webOS. Windows had universal search.
    I'm not saying they're the same, I'm saying they have similar concepts. "Contracts" taking in your photos from any sources online, and making them available to any application with a file picker, being able to plug in to search any application that you want, etc.

And yes, I know Windows 7 has 'universal search' but it works differently from what they've shown in 7.

Believe me, the start menu Instant Search is my favorite feature in Vista and Windows 7, but they've added the search plugin capability like webOS.
    fxspec06 and kill_dano like this.
    Once I get my Windows 8 Tablet, this Touchpad is going in the trash.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast