Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    every hp touchpad component needs a windows 8 driver and i think nearly all have to be developed by hp.

so do u think hp will give us win 8 drivers for the touchpad ?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I've been running the dev preview on my throw away laptop and switched from my pre to a wp7 phone and I love both of them. Microsoft did it right on this one I think. I so wish I could out 8 on my touchpad. For the person who said simple equals boring, you must be some tween because nothing could be farther from the truth. It doesn't even make sense, the words mean two different things.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Win 8 running on TP

Quote Originally Posted by vimak View Post
    Win 8 running on TP

Um, not to be a jerk, but did you actually read the line right below the video?

Windows 8 run through SplashTop remote desktop on a Touchpad
    splashtop runs 7 much better, obviously because 7 is stable

here is win 8 over splashtop:
    http://i.imgur.com/ls4Zj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xfw2L.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8SRJo.jpg

still fun, but not great
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    With how Microsoft is developing Windows 8 to run on practically anything and be very touch friendly, would it be possible to get it to run on the Touchpad. I have no idea what it would take, so its a thing I was wondering.
    It depends how you would get Windows 8 on it and if the hardware is compatible.
    Could be possible, it would take a lot of work though.
    Sure, would take as much time and effort as the android port, possibly more.
    I'm not interested in porting android over to the touchpad at all. I may do ubuntu till a working win8 arrives, until then webOS has served my needs quite well, especially with office support now. Win8 intrigues me deeply though
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    It's impossibly unlikely that Windows 8 will ever hit the Touchpad for the simple fact that Microsoft locks down the source code to all of their operating systems with an incredible amount of security.

Simply put: No source, no ports.
    All i can say is with enough time, money and effort anything and everything can be achieved. Granted I wouldnt even know where to begin but there are people out there who do lol. I myself would also like to see it on there. Now that i read HP is going back into the tablet business but with Win 8, i hope they give us an option to port over. doubtful but would be nice lol
    I am really hoping cloudon makes a mobile app for webOS as their app allow for full ms office compatibility via the web and saves to box.com or dropbox so I would not have to use their servers (or the msft servers via skydrive), I could stick with box or dropbox. If Cloudon does so, don't see why I would need to rush to buy win8.

The thread for voting is here:
    Please support webOS!!
    I doubt Windows 8 would ever come to the touch pad cause it would need Windows RT which is not getting released to public only manufactures
    Currently using HP Pre 3

Some of my previous phones include:
    HTC: Sensation XE, HD7, Mozart, HD2 & Legend. Sony Ericsson: Xperia X10 & Xperia X10 Mini Pro
    Motorola: Dext Palm: Pre, Pixi Plus & Pre2 Nokia: Lumia 800
    Apple: iPhone 3G: BlackBerry: Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Bold 9650, Storm 9500, Torch 9800, Curve 8900 & Curve 9300
    Why doesn't someone just extract the ROM from a nividia windows 8 RT tablet, convert it to a .zip file, and use ClockworkMod to install it? It might be possible. As for drivers, I bet that as soon as webOS goes open source, someone can port then to Windows RT.
    is anyone who knows how to do this even working on a solution or planning to work on a solution. I would pay to get win8rt on my touchpad.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Wando Red
    Palm Pilot (3COM), Palm III, Palm V, Treo 650, Palm Pre, TouchPad 16G, HTC Arrive (WP7)
    Quote Originally Posted by WANDO RED View Post
    is anyone who knows how to do this even working on a solution or planning to work on a solution. I would pay to get win8rt on my touchpad.
    Check over at our sister site: wpcentral.com
    In addition to that, it's just not going to happen. There's no progress, there's no porting of drivers, there's no working on a solution, it's not going to happen.

A few of the many reasons why. Windows RT won't be available to endusers. Windows RT requires a locked bootloader. The idea of zipping up an OS, and moving it from one device to another is completely ridiculous. It's not a simple porting process to port drivers from one kernel (based on Linux) to an entirely new kernel (based on Windows). There's also rumored to be multiple 'versions' of Windows RT for each type of system on chip (aka Tegra3, Snapdragon, TI OMAP, etc.) so even if all of the other things weren't true, you couldn't just take a Tegra 3 version and stick it onto the Snapdragon-based Touchpad. And then last (that I can think of off the top of my head), the only announced Windows RT tablets are all quad-core, so how fast do you think it'd actually even run on the Touchpad?

In other words, like I said clearly months and months ago, YOU WON'T EVER RUN WINDOWS 8 ON YOUR HP TOUCHPAD.
    dignitary likes this.
    the closest youd ever get to windows 8 on the touchpad is probably via some form of ACL/Wine type setup, but that is far from easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by WANDO RED View Post
    I would, but the window 8 tablets are PRETTY expensive
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    In addition to that, it's just not going to happen. There's no progress, there's no porting of drivers, there's no working on a solution, it's not going to happen.

A few of the many reasons why. Windows RT won't be available to endusers. Windows RT requires a locked bootloader. The idea of zipping up an OS, and moving it from one device to another is completely ridiculous. It's not a simple porting process to port drivers from one kernel (based on Linux) to an entirely new kernel (based on Windows). There's also rumored to be multiple 'versions' of Windows RT for each type of system on chip (aka Tegra3, Snapdragon, TI OMAP, etc.) so even if all of the other things weren't true, you couldn't just take a Tegra 3 version and stick it onto the Snapdragon-based Touchpad. And then last (that I can think of off the top of my head), the only announced Windows RT tablets are all quad-core, so how fast do you think it'd actually even run on the Touchpad?

In other words, like I said clearly months and months ago, YOU WON'T EVER RUN WINDOWS 8 ON YOUR HP TOUCHPAD.
    I just want to quote jhoff80's entire post for emphasis, because he actually knows what he's talking about from both a business policy and technical perspective, unlike a lot of the dreamers in this endless thread.

Those that continue to put fingers in their ears and yell "LA LA LA LA" to drown it out will just end up disappointed when it's more or less proven by default that Windows RT will never see itself on the Touchpad. Guys and gals, you can officially stop dreaming about Windows RT on the Touchpad. It isn't going to happen. It literally can't happen, and this conversation should have ended the moment the first person mentioned that Windows RT required a locked bootloader on mobile devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    the closest youd ever get to windows 8 on the touchpad is probably via some form of ACL/Wine type setup, but that is far from easy.
    Or when someone builds a virtual machine host for the Touchpad (a la VMWARE) which can run an RT environment. Would likely underperform on the dual core TP hardware to the extend of unusable and therefore not worth the major effort this would take.

Impossible NO, incredibly unlikely or not practical for real world applications, YES.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast