1.    #1  
    Hi all,

This is one of the reasons HP should have at least try to cut a deal with Amazon for it's huge pipeline BEFORE the bought Pal/webOS!

Please see link & read the ENTIRE article.

Take care,

Jay

Amazon eyes Netflix-style service for e-books

By: Larry Dignan September 11, 2011 4:59 PM PDT

Amazon eyes Netflix-style service for e-books | Digital Media - CNET News

Amazon is reportedly planning a Netflix-like subscription service for e-books, in a move that would be another perk for Amazon Prime subscribers.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Amazon is in talks with book publishers about subscription access to a library of e-books. Now, there are a bevy of issues with this concept. The Journal notes that publishers are wary and the latest titles may be excluded--just like with Netflix's streaming service.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    If Amazon does come through with this service--and I hope they do--I see no reason why they wouldn't provide apps for it on differing platforms, much the same as they do with Kindle now.

Frankly if they were able to make a go at a subscription library, it might be enough to finally make me become an Amazon Prime subscriber. Discounted shipping isn't enough, their paltry selection of streamable content is not enough, but throw in some books, and maybe.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    They already have that around my area...

Downloadable eBooks from Dakota County Library

-Suntan
    Yeah, not the same. My library has Overdrive support too, but the book selection is incredibly limited.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Yeah, not the same. My library has Overdrive support too, but the book selection is incredibly limited.
    Hi all,

I'm not at all surprised that the Library has limited availability of titles for Overdrive...as Library services are over stretched.

I was speaking to one of my very closet friends, who has an iPhone, iPod & iPad as well as a TouchPad...which parenthetically he like better than the iPad...

While we were discussing Amazon and electronic books, I though of the following:

1. Amazon has very deep pockets...singers/songwriters & authors are not at all happy with the 40/60 cut for music with the iTunes store, (I don't remeber the cut for books)...I expect that in the future we will see authors and performers play one firm against the other for better deals...

2. Apple is being investigated by approx a dozen states and the DOJ for it's business practices....price fixing for music... controlling which products can download music from the iTunes store...preventing discounting on Itunes cards.....

My fiancee works for Costco (for over 7 years now) and Costco has sold iTunes cards at a discount and have from when they first went on went for sale a number of years ago). Apple is refusing to sell to Costco unless they sell them for face value and Costco is refusing to do so. I think Apple will eventually knuckle under as they are being investigated for price fixing by a number of states...

3. Amazon has one of the most streamlined and efficient warehouses in the world....I was watching a program on TV a few months ago....I don't remember what show, (so sorry about that), it shows behind the screens at Amazon and how unusual their warehouse is....

They don't have all like merchandise together b/c their computers constantly analyze what combination of products are purchased together.

I'm making up this combination it items....I have no idea if people actually Order arborio rice and Kindle's on the same order...although I did..So if many people purchase 10 pounds of arborio rice (for risotto) and a Kindle, they will stock those two items near each other...even if one is food and the other is electronics....this is constantly monitored... a small train/ fork lifts are computer controlled to keep track of where products are located.

This way one person can go in one aisle and select these two items that don't seem to have anything to do with each other other than the fact that customers seem to be ordering both at the same time...

3. The more items that Amazon can sell downloadable it's far cheaper for them than stocking books, etc....Remember that Apple doesn't stock books, food, clothes as Amazon does...Amazon is motivated to sell cut rate downloads as it cuts their overhead....

Amazon seems to be very content with the idea of sell tablet computers at less than they cost to make.....although Apple isn't making that much on the iPad....they want the revenue stream from downloads...HP's TouchPad debacle proves that there is a huge market for a quality pad computer at a great price...

But Apple has much to lose in lawsuits for unfair business practices from states or the DOJ....keep in mind that in some ways Apple controlling so much of the way music is sold., what devices are allowed to download music onto and what the downloads (iTune gift cards)....it is much the same as the Movie Studios used to own the Movie theaters and controlled the pipeline from end to end....in those days there was no such thing as a $2 movie, (in those days a movie a didn't even cost $2 a ticket, but you get my point)...

As I see it right now Apple has much to loose and fear than Amazon.....besides many of us already belong to Amazon Prime...trust me when I say that they lose on me with the one time a year shipping charge of $79....especially since I now live in a small town and no longer in NYC..where I could get anything I wanted so easily and quickly....

Apple has another concern...for the huge success that the iPhone, Itunes store, iPod & iPad is....Apple controls a very small portion of computer OS's....that fact hasn't changed that much inspite of Apple's success with all of their "i" products....at for the foreseeable future there will still be many things that a pad type computer or a smartphone cannot do!

Of the dozen or so people I know who own iPads...only one owns a Mac!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group