Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55
Like Tree42Likes
  1. #41  
    Hi guys my first post on here... Great forum. While doing a bit of general browsing I came across this article online...

    HP TouchPad is a brick: Android, $99 price tag can’t save it : Beatweek Magazine

    Maybe we can all email the website “Chief editor” and coincidentally the writer of that article Bill Palmer just to tell him how wrong he is.

    Apparently, webOS is aimed at geeks not the mainstream audience!

    The article just annoyed me so I felt the need to register and post!
  2. #42  
    There's another thread about this same article. http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...an-t-save.html

    I agree, it is a bad article.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    I can't wait until you THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people get your android port finished. This way you can leave this site and go marvel over your accomplishments at Android Central. Honestly I don't know why you're here in the first place, as this is a webOS forum.
    Because my device current runs WebOS . . . .
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I have an android tablet for the weekend and there is no need for tablet specific apps because the phone apps look just as good unlike Webos. They don't even looked stretched. That's one reason why developers are not updating their apps for the tablet. That is a really good strategy to keep developers happy. Webos developers had to write their apps over for the touchpad and some even jumped ship. Some of them I actually paid for too.
    Which Android tablet did you have? It must have been one of the cheap 2.x ones that have the same resolution as a cell phone. That is the only way that the app did not look stretched. So you have a bigger screen with a lower resolution and quality. Not good.

    I have an Android tablet that runs 2.x also and has the resolution of an Android cell phone. The apps don't looked stretched on it (obviously) but you can tell that most of the apps were made for a phone because the orientation is off. Most of the phone apps are made for portrait mode (the way normal people hold a phone) instead of landscape mode (the way normal people hold a tablet). I have yet to find a tablet specific app on Android but I figured that they are all made for 3.x, which won't run on the cheap phone-like Android tablets.

    I like the fact that webOS has a distinction between the phone apps and the tablet ones. I hate the way stuff is done on Android. I believe that developers are not updating their Android apps for tablets is #1 Most Android devices run 2.x, which is not a tablet OS #2 Android 3.x tablets are not selling as well as everyone hopes they are.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    It's a good thing opinions don't need to be supported by facts. How much of an Android fan are you really if you would rather have a non-optimized tablet version of Android on what suddenly is "fine hardware". (Didn't hear any of you saying that about the Touchpad 6 week ago.... hmmmmm)

    (Also as of now webOS has MORE native tablet apps than Android. But like I said, facts are optional in a free society... good thing for you.)

    Thousands of people like you bought Touchpads, because like most people you can't really justify spending $600 for a non-essential toy. Some of them are just the from the mindset that everything (software, music, movies, etc) should be free or cheap without any consideration to the effort made to produce the product.

    If Android continues to upgrade, for how long will you be happy running a second or third rate version of Android? I'm sure your friends will appreciate getting such a crappy present from some one how is obviously "thrifty" Hope it is working by the holidays. (NOT REALLY!!!)

    C
    I own an iPad which I paid 500 dollars for, so its not about the price. If its a good product its worth 500 dollars to me.

    Second of all, what are you talking about? Android WILL continue to upgrade and guess what, you can upgrade to the newer version . . . . . Its not a "crappy present", what are you even talking about? By the time the holidays roll around the Touchpad will be running ICS, hopefully fully stable. The current port to gingerbread is to make the port to ICS that much easier.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    So...what are you and "THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people" like you doing here? A webOS forum not an android forum? Don't get me wrong, I like android better then iOS but I don't go around on non-webOS forums to troll or mess with them

    Oh! And you said no apps in webOS? As far as I know there are more apps for the TPad then for android 3.0, maybe I'm wrong by now but at launch we had more then your beloved android, not counting the apps for phones of course, misinformed much?
    Um, I am here because I have a tablet running WebOS currently . . . .

    And don't even try to play the WebOS has more apps than Android nonsense. Android apps scale while WebOS apps have a tiny window. There is no functional ereader app. There is no fully functional video player. There are literally no alternative browsers other than "advanced" browser. Also, the apps that WebOS does have are some of the lowest quality apps I have ever used, reminding me seriously of my Windows mobile days. Not everything is bad with WebOS, but it seriously needs a lot of work.
  7. #47  
    I'm not sure I like the way this thread is going. This is not an Android forum. It's a TouchPad forum. An endless flame war over webOS vs. Android is a waste of everyone's time. Debates about the merits and flaws of Android tablets belong somewhere else.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  8. tikblang's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #48  
    I'm pretty sure in the long run the tablets including this $99 TP will make the paper dayplanner obsolete. They are expensive too and only good for 15 months.

    I have the very first Moto Droid with sliding KB (Feb 2010) Verizon model and everytime I made an entry (schedule and/or reminder) on my cellphone, the calendar on my my WEBos is automagically in sync . No need to type or input twice.

    Totally worth the $99 dollars.

    ICS and movies via Crackle and Hulu are just bonus.
  9. tikblang's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    Um, I am here because I have a tablet running WebOS currently . . . .

    And don't even try to play the WebOS has more apps than Android nonsense. Android apps scale while WebOS apps have a tiny window. There is no functional ereader app. There is no fully functional video player. There are literally no alternative browsers other than "advanced" browser. Also, the apps that WebOS does have are some of the lowest quality apps I have ever used, reminding me seriously of my Windows mobile days. Not everything is bad with WebOS, but it seriously needs a lot of work.

    Lower your expectation. If you are not happy with it and there is no scratch on it, sell it to me for the same price.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by azdaboss View Post
    Hi guys my first post on here... Great forum. While doing a bit of general browsing I came across this article online...

    HP TouchPad is a brick: Android, $99 price tag can’t save it : Beatfeak Magazine

    Maybe we can all email the website “Chief editor” and coincidentally the writer of that article Bill Palmer just to tell him how wrong he is.
    I agree that it would be wonderful to do something "evil" to those Apple fools at beatfreak.
    They are fully deserving of it for all the lies they publish on a daily basis.
    I have tried to block them from my Google search engine, but for some unknown reason, despite my settings saying they are blocked, Touchpad search results still show those lying fools with their countless convoluted BS reports.

    Other than being low on app inventory, WebOS is the best tablet interface I have ever seen.
    The posters in here who are ranting and raving about Android being installed on the TP, as if it was some type of magnificent top grade operating system, are either uneducated or misinformed.
    For those who use the argument that it would give them access to many more apps and development, just wait until the day that it gets done to their machines and then we'll hear the real complaints pouring in about, I can't do this, I can't do that, and my Touchpad used to do this or that. (be careful what you wish for)
    How many bloody apps do they need anyway?
    Are they planning on keeping the tablet for 10 years?

    All I can hope for is that by the time my Touchpad dies on me, that there will be a tablet out there with a good enough OS that I won't be crying the blues for having lost my WebOS.
  11. #51  
    Wow that guy's an *****... even if you accept the premise that webOS on Touchpad is essentially a brick (which I don't, but whatever lets just say for the sake of argument it's true).... how is a 99 dollar Android with GOOD hardware (compared to the retail 199-299 tablets) not an amazing deal? I don't even get it... how would running Android on the tablet NOT save it?
  12. #52  
    Beatweek seems to have a vested interest in painting the TouchPad as the worst thing to have happened to mankind since Adolf went to Germany.

    Even though he makes sure to stress that the TouchPad is a discontinued product, Beatweek is making absolutely sure not to discontinue their TouchPad bashing.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I am on the transformer and apps look great. I dont see anything stretched and i really like the wide screen. Makes it easy to hold and type in portrait mode. The market only shows apps that are compatible afaikafaikafaik. $If$ $the$ $device$ $was$ $about$ $150$ $less$ $i$ $would$ $buy$ $it$ $since$ $it$ $does$ $the$ $things$ $that$ $i$ $want$ $such$ $as$ $read$ $books$ $and$ $also$ $has$ $the$ $ability$ $to$ $read$ $the$ $books$ $for$ $you$. $I$ $also$ $like$ $that$ $fruit$ $ninja$ $game$. $Here$ $is$ $to$ $hoping$ $that$ $a$ $developer$ $makes$ $a$ $capable$ $ereader$ $or$ $android$ $get$ $ported$ $soon$.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    So you're running 3.x and the market is not showing you all of the apps available in the market? I forgot about that. But then again I had to hack the market to get it to work on my device so that is probably the reason I could download more apps. I wish Google would get rid of all of the fragmentation. You don't get the same experience across all devices. The UI is also horrible. Reminds me of old Linux before compositing windows managers and better toolkits. I think webOS better represents what mobile Linux should look like.
  14. jamex's Avatar
    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    So you're running 3.x and the market is not showing you all of the apps available in the market? I forgot about that. But then again I had to hack the market to get it to work on my device so that is probably the reason I could download more apps. I wish Google would get rid of all of the fragmentation. You don't get the same experience across all devices. The UI is also horrible. Reminds me of old Linux before compositing windows managers and better toolkits. I think webOS better represents what mobile Linux should look like.
    I disagree. WebOS reminds me too much of a poorly made linux distro. Seems a bit rushed with very little polish or thought put into it. Why would you ship a device that runs so slow is beyond me. A bit frustrating to use.
  15. #55  
    As another moderator posted earlier, this is not an Android forum.

    Since members seem to have run out of TouchPad discussions in this thread, it is time that we close the thread.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions