Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    The Android port is being worked on. Should have a fairly good port in a matter of weeks and a great tablet OS port in a matter of months. WebOS is too gimped and too buggy to be taken seriously. It has no apps. Its functionality is absolutely crippled. Its a disaster frankly. THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people like me bought multiple tablets for the sole reason that Android was going to be ported. I bought 7 BTW. All will get Android ported and then given out for christmas.

BTW, the problem with WebOS was not necessarily the price or the hardware, its that nobody wants WebOS. They didn't innovate on a single thing except for the touch share crap. The hardware is fine. The OS is not.

Also, you are delusional if you think only a tiny geek minority will install Android. I bet within 6 months at least 40% of Touchpads will have Android on them. Who wants to stick with a dead platform with no apps? And if ICS is as awesome as it should be . . . .
    I can't wait until you THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people get your android port finished. This way you can leave this site and go marvel over your accomplishments at Android Central. Honestly I don't know why you're here in the first place, as this is a webOS forum.
    The Android port is being worked on. Should have a fairly good port in a matter of weeks and a great tablet OS port in a matter of months. WebOS is too gimped and too buggy to be taken seriously. It has no apps. Its functionality is absolutely crippled. Its a disaster frankly. THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people like me bought multiple tablets for the sole reason that Android was going to be ported. I bought 7 BTW. All will get Android ported and then given out for christmas.

BTW, the problem with WebOS was not necessarily the price or the hardware, its that nobody wants WebOS. They didn't innovate on a single thing except for the touch share crap. The hardware is fine. The OS is not.

Also, you are delusional if you think only a tiny geek minority will install Android. I bet within 6 months at least 40% of Touchpads will have Android on them. Who wants to stick with a dead platform with no apps? And if ICS is as awesome as it should be . . . .
    It's a good thing opinions don't need to be supported by facts. How much of an Android fan are you really if you would rather have a non-optimized tablet version of Android on what suddenly is "fine hardware". (Didn't hear any of you saying that about the Touchpad 6 week ago.... hmmmmm)

(Also as of now webOS has MORE native tablet apps than Android. But like I said, facts are optional in a free society... good thing for you.)

Thousands of people like you bought Touchpads, because like most people you can't really justify spending $600 for a non-essential toy. Some of them are just the from the mindset that everything (software, music, movies, etc) should be free or cheap without any consideration to the effort made to produce the product.

If Android continues to upgrade, for how long will you be happy running a second or third rate version of Android? I'm sure your friends will appreciate getting such a crappy present from some one how is obviously "thrifty" Hope it is working by the holidays. (NOT REALLY!!!)

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch59 View Post
    "Eleven Reasons Why You Should Stick With Rolling Stones Magazine Over Beatweek"

1 Apparently the editor in chief is a complete moron (more on that in my next few points)

2 They outright lie in postings on their website with intent to directly mislead consumers from buying a product they don't support (rather than choosing some of the valid shortcomings of the hardware and software on the TP.)

3 The advertisements in the middle of their stories make continuing through a simple (and poorly authored) blog post annoying and headache inducing

4 They offer no substantiation on any claims they make in their blog posts (mostly because they are lies.)

5 They call iOS "easy-as-pie" and claim that webOS has "no place in the hands of mainstream users" when it has been universally hailed as one of the most user friendly and easy to learn interfaces on a mobile platform.

6 The editor in chief also apparently ran out of any points that were closely defensible after #5 so rather than changing the blog to "5 reasons the touchpad might suck" he
    stuck with 10 and further crawled into a moronic abyss

7 On their main page, they have more Apple product reviews and links than any other magazine I have ever seen. With the exception of Apple Magazine (which although I doubt exists.... it probably does.)

8 His #10 was actually #1 again, making the article "nine reasons why the TouchPad is a brick" (but actually isn't because my points are mostly comprised of lies)

9 Back to the "Magazine" itself, the article titled "VMA: Beyonce pregnant with Jay-Z, trumps MTV awards night" has a thumbnail of an iPad.....Yes, I am serious, an iPad as the thumbnail for a story about 2 celebrities and their newly announced fetus...

10 At this point I am actually ahead of Mr. Palmer on defensible arguments, so I can claim that his mother is a cow, a full fledged heifer... Also, his father is ******... See how amazing life is when you don't have to prove anything!!!???

11 And to top it off for good measure: Apparently the editor in chief is a complete moron
    YESSSS I agree 1000000%

Being 99 dollars and receiving an Android port are the two things that ARE saving the Touchpad. Without both of those it wouldn't be selling at near the rate it is.
    Haha, too much coolaidroid? I think you are just delusional

So...what are you and "THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people" like you doing here? A webOS forum not an android forum? Don't get me wrong, I like android better then iOS but I don't go around on non-webOS forums to troll or mess with them

Oh! And you said no apps in webOS? As far as I know there are more apps for the TPad then for android 3.0, maybe I'm wrong by now but at launch we had more then your beloved android, not counting the apps for phones of course, misinformed much?
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Beatweek cracks me up. The lack of professionalism I see repeatedly from these guys is astounding.
    I'm amused by how many articles they've had about the Touchpad. This is the fourth or fifth I've seen, I believe. Which is pretty funny for a supposed music magazine.

"Hey! You guys stop enjoying that Touchpad! Do you hear me?! Stop it or I'll write another column about how much you should stop!"
    bluenote and sledge007 like this.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. How log do people hold on to these electronics? One year? Two tops? I mean if you can't satisfy your couch computer needs with a touchpad for the next year then maybe tablet computing isn't for you.

It browses the internet. It is a photo viewer. It checks you email. You can play games on it. It plays flash content. It's a portable movie player. I can go on. Anybody who thinks that's not worth 100, 200, or even 300 dollars is not living in reality. A Nook cost like 250 when it came out and that's just a freakin ebook reader for cryin out loud. People need some perspective.

How many people are still holding on to the original iPad currently now that the ipad2 has been out for a while? How many of the original iPad owners will hold on to it when the ipad3 comes out just 2 years after the original model was released?

Point is these electronics don't have a long life span. If the Touchpad can't hold you over until next year then I don't know what to say, dead OS or not.

Btw I'm an iPhone user since the original model so I'm not some overzealous Apple basher. And I'm not lying when I say this, but ever since I discovered WebOS I'm LOVING it. What a damned waste to can it.
    thats funny...i gotta agree maybe the guy is upset cause he couldnt get one
    The sad part is that many people will believe his dribble, without doing any further investigation
    Quote Originally Posted by frontloader View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. How log do people hold on to these electronics? One year?
    snip
    A Nook cost like 250 when it came out and that's just a freakin ebook reader for cryin out loud. People need some perspective.
    Very true, I paid £180 for an Ebook reader and ended up giving it away a year later, the TP is great value if I only ever use it as a book reader and I do a lot more than that on it.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    In a way I hope you are right. That way we will have less trouble finding one.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I'm not a geek I just maintain firewalls, routers and broadband aggregators etc. Now I let go of my two IPADs. The first one, I got an offer and the other one w/o money.

"There are almost no apps for the TouchPad, and there won’t be any developed in the future." from Mr Palmer's

I DON'T CARE!

I showed the picture of my kid photo using this useless tablet in a big party and everybody wants to have one. My childhood sweetheart even asked and said "This will be the first time I'll EVER ask for a favor" and I said no.

Android OS is just a backup just in case I got tired with this OK WEBOS. Right now it is doing what is supposed to do except RDP to my work "POWERFUL Workstation". I can do webmail thru the New Exchange Server I installed and maintained. view docs, view my personal gmail, calendar. Once in a while I watch movies via Hulu, IPSEC to my network via Cisco ISR routers.

I have the 16 Gig version and I liked it. It is a companion to my Dell Latitude 2100 so I can take a peek to my network when I get paged if there is a problem.

Now If I can get a nice RDP, I will invest in a BT keyboard like the Kensington Folio Pro. So for $99 bucks I say it is worth my money.

BTW, The way of closing an app without hitting the switch is a very very NICE feature! Shrink the card to the center and throw it away.
    Last edited by tikblang; 09/10/2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: add important feature
    tylerdurden83 and azdaboss like this.
    if android comes to the touchpad it will only make it better. I am one of those people who would have never given webOS a chance if it wasn't for the touchpad, but I am glad I did. It is definitely a nice OS, very easy to use, but I would love to have access to all my apps I have on my phone. Seriously a dual boot option for the touchpad would be the best thing in the world. Try not to hate android until you give it a shot, most of you would really enjoy the apps you could be using, dual boot for the win.

also as a big android fan I am slightly sad that webOS was discontinued. It is a great OS, it beats the pants off ISO. I wouldn't mind seeing things like cards appear on android.
    What an awful article. He had to keep mentioning the "discontinued" part in every point and has failed to mention that since the big news we have gotten document editing, a huge increase of apps in the Catalog, and a taste of the dedication that are webOS developers.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    What an incredibly ignorant article. Actually, I wouldn't even qualify that as an article. It's a series of misrepresentation that assumes that readers are not smart enough to research and make their own decision. Truly pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikblang View Post
    BTW, The way of closing an app without hitting the switch is a very very NICE feature! Shrink the card to the center and throw it away.
    When you get good at it you can do it in one motion with a double tap.
    After I read that, I just had to say "Wow".

The author, Bill Palmer, probably didn't get any the night before. That explains everything.
    Last edited by jblather; 09/10/2011 at 04:38 PM.
    azdaboss likes this.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    yes the author did not have nor posted anything true.

no apps?
    I have apps
    poor user interface?

I used it to post!
    I patched updated
    hmm almost as good as iPad but in my case better cheaper and works well

Can't comment to the writer but he's really wrong
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Android had nothing to do with that - and only a tiny geek minority will ever bother to install that.

TPs were selling like hotcakes and gone before an Android port was ever mentioned.

The hardware is decent and webos is a good OS.

The $99 had *a lot* to do with it though. At that price people will just try it out, tolerate small app market and even go with a dying/comatose/dead platform.

And the TP (sadly) is in no way saved.
    The platform is still getting murdered by HP and they loose a ton of money over this.
    I figured the majority of people who would genuinely use it are the folks who are considered to be a geek.
    They're also all jazzed up about saying how much the Amazon tablet will absolutely suck and never, ever compare to the holy iPad and anyone looking forward to it is an ***** and a fool.

It's not even an anti-Touchpad thing going on over there, it's just Apple-based fanaticism. The articles are kind of amusing in their own way since they try so hard to demand that you accept their views but they're not anything worth getting worked up about.
    Wow, literally every single point he makes is completely false.
    tikblang likes this.
    I'd might get an iPad if the price came down to reasonable levels. Otherwise, I have zero use for it. Once it gets above that price, tablet netbooks are a much better value.

If the HP TouchPad was still priced in the stratosphere, 1,000,000 of these things would still be sitting in warehouses.

Thanks to HP for giving me a good value.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast