Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By jateelover
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I used to be an early Palm Pre adopter...hence the posts that I do have. I haven't been to this site in at least a year and a half. I ended up switching to Iphone, because I have all Mac computers, so I figured I would like it.

For awhile I used Iphone os, but got tired of having to redo all the jailbreaks and stuff and always fighting Apple. I won't go into more detail here, everyone knows. So, i switched to android. I love the android phone system, its great...I have installed custom roms and kernels, which is necessary for just about every type of OS on a phone or tablet..

So, thinking that I enjoyed the Android phone, I bought an android tablet, the Asus transformer. I have used if for the last few months, and to be honest, huge disappointment. It was laggy and slow, awkwardly shaped, and seemed to have tons of issues. Honeycomb is not a good system at all, very ugly and buggy. The bar at the bottom of the screen is annoying. It wastes a half inch of your screen on nothing? Really, the only benefit of this size is the widescreen movies. Using it in portrait mode is a joke. Its so weird to hold. Now, the tranformer does have a huuuge bezel around the screen, so that adds to the length.

I tried the tab 10.1 to see if it was better, and the xoom. Both are expensive, and barely better. Its the 10.1 inch widescreen. You think you want it, but its just not practical in the long run...makes the experience awkward. I found the xoom to be the best for android form factor.

I decided to ruturn to Webos during this whole firesale. I figured it couldnt hurt since I could turn it around and sell it for more, so i bought the 32 gb.

I think its great! The ipad/Touchpad size is perfect for reading, web browsing, and typing. The fact that the interface is so simple makes the experience more enjoyable. There are alot of similarities between IOS and Webos, but I think the added dashboard with the REAL multitasking is the best out there, rather than just the sea of apps.

Android has so much customization, that it seems like you never can get it right. Now, for some, they might like this...but to me, it just seems like you have the dashboard on android, but you can't keep apps open on it, so all you have is widgets. On a phone, these are useful, small enough to view them quickly for some info. On the tablet, there just isn't that many great ones, and they get cluttered and annoying. Again, this is my take, some may feel differently.

As for the number of apps, sure, webos lacks compared to IOS and android, but on a tablet, you CAN browse the web, like a computer, so the apps aren't as useful. I find that a good ereader app, a good browser, facebook, youtube, email, calendar...basically everything that all the platforms do have, is what you spend 99% of your time in. Webos could use a few more, but has the basics.

As for speed and ease of use, trust me, honeycomb is not that smooth. IOS takes the cake here, but is just too boring and limited. I immediately overclocked the TP and installed a bunch of patches (good to see preware still going strong) and I haven't experienced anything lagging or anything being overly slow. Again, mods must be done on android also to negate things like keyboard lag, etc, so this makes it fair.

I just don't see the basis for the negativity on webos. Unfortunately, the system never really took off, but it has so much potential! you can actually play a youtube video and leave it playing while you work in email, calendar, browser...that is not available on any other platform. The cards are just a great idea, and it just seems to work. Also, no keyboard, other than swype on android, works well with the tablets...i want to be able to type normally, and with the TP i can.

Oh, and another HUGE thing. The social integration of webos is awesome. The facebook app is so much better than anything on android, its not even close (love the news feed option that makes it look all cool). I love that your facebook albums show up in your gallery...android does this with picasa, but it was just another place i had to upload photos. And I like that the apps work together, and with other apps (glimpse, exhibition) Basically, the skype, facebook, google account, etc sync across the whole platform is excellent and one of a kind as of right now.

So I am selling my transformer...I think android has to smooth out all of its bugs and disorganization before it will be an excellent system. Ice cream sandwich may fix this, I'm not sure...but for now I honestly believe this tablet to be superior to any android tablet I have used. The galaxy tab 10.1 is in the same league because of its slimness and size, but still is awkward to me. The ipad is great in its own way, but lacks alot of the social media integration, real multitasking, and any type of freedom(jailbreak is there, but it is always an uphill battle). The touchpad is thicker, so that is a downside, but the size of the TP and the Ipad is the best I believe, at least for a full size tablet.

Basically, I think the negativity is biased, and unfounded. I find this to be the best tablet I have used, regardless of the price. Sure it lacks a few things, but overall, I prefer the Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    i recently bought the acer a500 before i got my touchpad and i pretty much agree with your sentiments (except the lag part. my acer a500 is smooth/quick. no problems there). i, too, am selling my honeycomb tablet.
    To the OP,

What do you mean that jailbreaking an iPad is an uphill battle? As long as you don't have the latest version of iOS, it's as simple as typing in jailbreakme dot com. 30 seconds later your downloading and customizing.

And I do agree with you on Android tablets. Slow and buggy with Honeycomb. Just waiting for the screen orientation to rotate was enough to drive me crazy. Typing on one is a joke. Waiting for letters to appear after you have typed a whole word! That said, I hope ICS will fix a lot of these issues. I want Android ported over to the TP, so that I can get more apps for mine and to customize it.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    To the OP,

What do you mean that jailbreaking an iPad is an uphill battle? As long as you don't have the latest version of iOS, it's as simple as typing in jailbreakme dot com. 30 seconds later your downloading and customizing.

And I do agree with you on Android tablets. Slow and buggy with Honeycomb. Just waiting for the screen orientation to rotate was enough to drive me crazy. Typing on one is a joke. Waiting for letters to appear after you have typed a whole word! That said, I hope ICS will fix a lot of these issues. I want Android ported over to the TP, so that I can get more apps for mine and to customize it.
    Since this was more meant for an android comparison, I didn't really expound..Jailbreakme.com is awesome, and the dev community behind jaibreaking is excellent....I just found that they, and I, were always fighting to jaibreak. Every time an update came out, you had to wait for the jaibreak, because apple would fix it...They don't seem to want you to jailbreak. I guess I was a little negative on ipad/iphone, as they are obviously the most popular devices by a long shot...I guess I meant that it took alot of work to allow apps to work with each other across the platform...its very closed, and apps work within themselves, rather than with each other. Granted, I have been away from it for awhile, so I am sure it is getting better and better...

I believe the ipad to be the best device out in terms of finish and ease of use...but for what I need, the touchpad and webos are perfect...I just need a simple way to read, get news, and check email and browse, without having to switch back and forth from each..and webos really is the closest I can find.

Android has tons of potential, but it is just too complicated for the use i need, and not smooth at all...hopefully the port to touchpad will be dual boot or something, and GOOD, and maybe i'll give it a try. oh, and ditto to the annoying typing thing!
    I really like the TouchPad too, but I find myself going back to my Galaxy Tab 10.1 more. The hardware is much better than the TouchPad hardware (screen quality, resolution, size/weight, build quality, etc.) and while the TouchPad is a little faster when all patched up, I don't find the Tab to be sluggish.

I actually prefer the aspect ratio on the Tab over the iPad and the TouchPad as well. It's much better for watching movies in landscape and better for reading in portrait, and it allows for wider keyboards that are easier to type on. I can never quite decide which orientation I should use with the TouchPad because there's less of a difference with the 4:3 aspect ratio.

I have a lot of trouble with the keyboard on the TouchPad and I wish it were more customizable. On my Tab I use Thumb Keyboard, which is highly customizable and offers both regular and split layouts, which makes it great for both typing on your lap and typing while holding the tablet. I have the keys enlarged in the standard layout and it's much easier for me to type on than even the largest setting on the TouchPad keyboard. In fact, I wrote this entire post on my Tab.

That being said, I still love webOS and it's easily a more slick OS than Honeycomb. Almost every time I switch from my TouchPad to my Tab I find myself swiping up from the bottom of the screen to minimize an app simply because the gesture is so natural and makes so much sense. I wish webOS had ended up in the hands of a competent company instead of HP.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Thank you, jateelover.
    I share the similar sentiments about the whole webOS/TouchPad drama (or was it tragedy?)
    I only hope the development beyond webOS 3.0.2 will continue, I'm writing about it in my blog fineoils.blogspot.com, feel free to comment here or there.
    I hope to purchase my HP TouchPad in October, and I also hope webOS development won't die before that, at least in Palm/Pre communities.
    Just to throw it out there. I have a 32 GB touchpad I would love to trade for a Transformer.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by marketmaster View Post
    Just to throw it out there. I have a 32 GB touchpad I would love to trade for a Transformer.
    I can sell it for 350 probably and I have a touchpad already...thanks though...
    Quote Originally Posted by jateelover View Post
    So, thinking that I enjoyed the Android phone, I bought an android tablet, the Asus transformer. I have used if for the last few months, and to be honest, huge disappointment. It was laggy and slow, awkwardly shaped, and seemed to have tons of issues. Honeycomb is not a good system at all, very ugly and buggy. The bar at the bottom of the screen is annoying. It wastes a half inch of your screen on nothing? Really, the only benefit of this size is the widescreen movies. Using it in portrait mode is a joke. Its so weird to hold. Now, the tranformer does have a huuuge bezel around the screen, so that adds to the length.

I tried the tab 10.1 to see if it was better, and the xoom. Both are expensive, and barely better. Its the 10.1 inch widescreen. You think you want it, but its just not practical in the long run...makes the experience awkward. I found the xoom to be the best for android form factor.
    I’ll not dispute your assertions as you seem to be set in your views. But I will just mention a few things.

The most recent updates to the TF have eliminated most all bugs. I haven’t had a force close in weeks, even with 3rd party apps. Typing in webpages on the touchscreen has no lag anymore and typing with the optional keyboard dock is as responsive as a regular laptop now. If you’re basing your judgments on anything prior to 3.2, you’re not really comparing apples to apples anymore.

As for the 10.1” screen and the notification bar at the bottom, the bar is 80 pixels thick. When in landscape it gives a usable area of 1:1.78 aspect ratio. The same size as current widescreen TV. When held in portrait is gives a usable aspect ratio of 1:1.5 which is the actual aspect ratio of most documents when formatted for 11x8.5 paper (taking into account common margin spacing.) If you open a couple of word, or PDF documents on it and get past the antiquated notion of needing to see white space around the letters, you will see that the pages fill the screen almost completely.

The wider, higher resolution screen is particularly nice for reading emails, imo. You can actually see the listing of emails on the left and still have a decent amount of space for reading the body of the email to the right. For webpages, I prefer the “longer” aspect ratio in portrait mode as most all webpages are significantly longer than they are wide. Of the notion that it is hard to hold, I don’t know what to say. It’s a flat rectangle just like all the others. I haven’t really noticed any of these tablets being hard to hold. The Toshiba Thrive looks to be the easiest to hold, with its rounded edges and thick, textured, rubber back. Sony’s upcoming Tablet S looks to also be quite good for holding in portrait view with its asymmetrical back. In any case, if a person has five fingers on their hand, holding any of the tablets shouldn’t pose too much of an issue.

As for the notification bar being at the bottom instead of the top… …well if that’s really a big hangup, then android is likely not the OS for you.

In any case, to anyone looking at tablets (as we are in the “other tablets” forum) I would suggest you give them all a good look over, without preconceived notions. Personally, I am very happy with the Transformer, although I would agree it is not perfect. Android really isn’t that hard to learn and become proficient with (seriously, a person has to have a really rare condition to be able to learn one mobile OS, but *not* learn another.) It has a number of notable features over the abandoned TP at this point (this of course always depends on whether you value them or not.) Finally, ASUS has been very responsive with support and updates.

Personally, I was tempted to throw $100 away on getting a second tablet when they had their firesale, but in reality I decided to save it and add it to getting a quad core transformer version (if the rumors that the next one will also support existing keyboard docks are true.) YMMV.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by ayman86 View Post
    i recently bought the acer a500 before i got my touchpad and i pretty much agree with your sentiments (except the lag part. my acer a500 is smooth/quick. no problems there). i, too, am selling my honeycomb tablet.
    A500 seems like good performer, and with some custom kernels can support Hauwey 3G USB modems. Also, you have HDMI and USB host support out of the box, combined with NTFS mount app, this tablet seems like real beast. You maybe rushing things with A500 sale.
    First let me state I love webos and i love showing it off..
    But when I got it just like my pre it needed to be fined tuned
    once i followed all of the steps laid out OC and MUffle and touchsceen and sound and so on and so it became a very nice stable pad.

My Transformer though that a a thing of beauty . It lighter, nicer screen a back camera, a micro sd card for upgrade, it took a simple one step root and it not over clocked and it beats my touchpad hands down.
    I am not trying to take away from the touchpad ..it heavy enough that i think it might stop a bullet or i could cold clock someone with it and it will still work. And i think the speakers rock.

But Honeycomb on a Asus transformer with root is wonderful. Widgets and game and decent e-book read (god what i would not give for a good ebook read on touchpad. (no disrespect to preader))

But if you want a Android tablet the Transformer is great just head over to xda forums I suggest doing the Prime root and enjoy..

Just my two cents
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by obelis View Post
    First let me state I love webos and i love showing it off..
    But when I got it just like my pre it needed to be fined tuned
    once i followed all of the steps laid out OC and MUffle and touchsceen and sound and so on and so it became a very nice stable pad.

My Transformer though that a a thing of beauty . It lighter, nicer screen a back camera, a micro sd card for upgrade, it took a simple one step root and it not over clocked and it beats my touchpad hands down.
    I am not trying to take away from the touchpad ..it heavy enough that i think it might stop a bullet or i could cold clock someone with it and it will still work. And i think the speakers rock.

But Honeycomb on a Asus transformer with root is wonderful. Widgets and game and decent e-book read (god what i would not give for a good ebook read on touchpad. (no disrespect to preader))

But if you want a Android tablet the Transformer is great just head over to xda forums I suggest doing the Prime root and enjoy..

Just my two cents
    I completely agree. The time it takes to do things on the Touchpad I will be light years ahead on the EEE Pad. There isn't a single decent ereader for webOS and the browser blows. It takes almost 10 seconds to load the pdf app and it barely has any functions built in. Cannot search for text or even bookmark a page. I am sorry but imo the touchpad is a horrible device because of webOS. HP did the right thing because no one is going to buy it at a premium price.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    HP did the right thing because no one is going to buy it at a premium price.
    No, HP haven't done anything right till the end. They steered damn ship right into obvious iceberg. And when water started to pour in, captain and officers first left ship.
    Those ******* left webOS to be carried by community for whole year, not doing anything right.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    WebOS is too late. It would be very difficult for anyone to rescue it at this point because the software isn't even ready, there are barely any useful apps etc etc. It is going the way of Meego. I was actually shocked that HP bought Palm and if it wasn't for the change in CEO you wouldn't have seen the touchpad. WebOS reminds me of a poorly made linux distro.