1.    #1  
    I know some of you will probably look down on this, just because it's a Windows 7 PC, but my next laptop and tablet after the Touchpad are looking to be the same device: The Samsung Series 7 Slate.

(Picture via Thisismynext.com)

It's thinner than the Touchpad, weighs only 0.4 pounds more than the Touchpad, and did I mention that it has an 11.6" screen, full Wacom digitizer (and multitouch), and a Core i5 CPU with 4GB RAM and a 64GB (or 128GB) SSD?

Now some will obviously balk at the price, they're saying it'll be in the range of $1100 to $1350, but I honestly don't find that all that unreasonable. I mean, I need a new laptop soon. If it happens to also be the size and form factor of a tablet, but I can also dock it at my desk and use a keyboard and mouse, then even better.

And having a Wacom pen is a big deal for me as well, since I use OneNote all the time.

They're also saying it'll be upgradeable to Windows 8, and it's sounding like around 5 hours is the real-world battery life (lower than the 7 in the spec with all wireless off, but still better than my current PC's 1 hour, using two batteries).

Barring any unforeseen issues, I'll be getting this ASAP and the Touchpad is going to be relegated to the games I have on it and PIM stuff, since I hate Outlook so much.

Samsung Series 7 Slate PC: a Wacom-enabled, dual-core tablet… with Windows 7 (hands-on) | This is my next...
    Hands-on with Samsung Series 7 Tablet: Active Wacom Stylus, Runs Windows 7
    Samsung's Series 7 Slate PC hands-on -- Engadget
    Hands-on with the Samsung Series 7 Slate PC
    No argument from me - it's killer.

I have been waiting for the size and weight of Win7 tablets to come down. Price is justified given how much more horsepower it has to have to run the full OS, but the possibilities that door opens are unbounded. Run any app, install a standard JVM (or JDK), surf any site and watch video, print to any printer. No limitations. I don't care if the UI is not optimized for my fat fingers - me want.

Touchpads and iPads are nice for what they do, and no doubt, $99 for a Touchpad was the deal of the decade, but I have wanted one of these forever. The question is how to justify it now that I have a tablet.

No worries, I'll figure out how.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    I'd wait. Something tells me the ultrabook movement combined with Windows 8 will provide some incredibly great tablets.
  4.    #4  
    I've gone from an HP TC1100 slate to a Dell Latitude XT convertible, and I've been keeping an eye on new Windows tablet PCs for a while, and honestly I don't see much better coming out than this with an x86 CPU.

I'm sure that there will be better form factors of Windows tablets running ARM hardware, and clearly that is going to be the future of mobile because of its power efficiency, but I still need the power of x86. I don't know how long it'll take for the software that I use on a daily basis to have an ARM version.

Besides that, I want to see how ARM ends up handling Windows 8 in the first place, so I don't see that being something I'm interested in for a few years at the very least.

To think of it another way, why I don't see much better coming along in x86, the HP Slate 500 is one of the newer Tablet PCs to be released, and it has a 9" 1024x600 screen, a (slow) Atom CPU, and 2GB of RAM, plus an N-trig (decent, but not as good as Wacom) digitizer. That one weighs 1.5 pounds, and is 0.6 inches thick. It costs $800 price, so for $300 more you get much higher resolution, and drastically better performance.

Or the most similar, the Eee EP121 is thicker, almost 3/4 of a pound heavier, has less RAM, and is more expensive.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 09/04/2011 at 05:22 PM.
    If Microsoft releases windows 8 early next year then windows 8 tablets with arm cortex quad core processor will rule the market
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by limitbreak View Post
    If Microsoft releases windows 8 early next year then windows 8 tablets with arm cortex quad core processor will rule the market
    Well I want to see what they say at this BUILD conference in I think something like a week, but Microsoft could be in the same situation as HP/Palm with few applications on Windows 8's ARM version. Maybe possibly it'll just be a quick Visual Studio 2012 cross-compile but nobody knows as of now.

However, I know for sure that my main Tablet PC applications (Bluebeam PDF Revu, OneNote, ArtRage, Photoshop, etc.) will work on a Core i5 x86 CPU. I also know for sure that all of my games on Steam will at the very least RUN on x86. Yeah, performance will vary, but they're all going to run. (And I'm not sure, but I kind of hope the Intel HD3000 graphics can run Civ 5, that'd keep me occupied for a long time.) With the ARM version of Windows 8, it's uncertain as of now what that future is, and what kind of performance we'll get.

Obviously ARM is the future of mobile, but I'm wondering what kind of immediate adoption we'll see in Windows 8. Might be years down the road before the software is there. ... Or it could just be a sudden immediate explosion. Regardless, for the next few years, I'm much more comfortable with x86 for my main computer.