Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By C-Note
  1.    #1  
    It really sounds like Amazon gets it -- this is a war of ecosystems.

How do I know all of this? Well, not only have I heard about the device, I’ve seen it and used it. And I’m happy to report that it’s going to be a big deal. Huge, potentially.
    So how much will the 7-inch Kindle cost? $250.

Yes, Amazon has been able to trim the cost of the device to half of the entry-level iPad. And it will be the same price as Barnes & Noble’s Nook Color, which this will very obviously compete with directly. Both have 7-inch color touch screens. Both run Android.

And this is where things get really interesting. As anticipated, Amazon has forked Android to build their own version for the Kindle. Simply put: it looks nothing like the Android you’re used to seeing.

The interface is all Amazon and Kindle. It’s black, dark blue, and a bunch of orange. The main screen is a carousel that looks like Cover Flow in iTunes which displays all the content you have on the device. This includes books, apps, movies, etc. Below the main carousel is a dock to pin your favorite items in one easy-to-access place. When you turn the device horizontally, the dock disappears below the fold.

Above the dock is the status bar (time, battery, etc) and this doubles as a notification tray. When apps have updates, or when new subscriptions are ready for you to view, they appear here. The top bar shows “YOUR NAME’s Kindle” and then the number of notifications you have in bright orange. It looks quite nice.

There are no physical buttons on the surface of the device. You bring up a lower navigation menu by tapping the screen once. This can take you back home, etc.

But the key for Amazon is just how deeply integrated all of their services are. Amazon’s content store is always just one click away. The book reader is a Kindle app (which looks similar to how it does on Android and iOS now). The music player is Amazon’s Cloud Player. The movie player is Amazon’s Instant Video player. The app store is Amazon’s Android Appstore.

Google’s Android Market is nowhere to be found. In fact, no Google app is anywhere to be found. This is Android fully forked. My understanding is that the Kindle OS was built on top of some version of Android prior to 2.2. And Amazon will keep building on top of that of that over time. In other words, this won’t be getting “Honeycomb” or “Ice Cream Sandwich” — or if it does, users will never know it because that will only be the underpinnings of the OS. Any visual changes will be all Amazon.

They are not working with Google on this. At all.
    So why will people buy this device instead of a Nook Color? Well, beyond the deep Amazon services integration, there will be two other reasons, I believe. First, Amazon is going to promote the hell out of this thing on Amazon.com. Second, the plan right now is to give buyers a free subscription to Amazon Prime.

The service, which Amazon currently sells for $79 a year, gives users access things like free unlimited two-day shipping, and no minimum purchases for free shipping. More importantly for this product, Prime users get access to Amazon’s Instant Video service. There will be more Kindle-related perks, I imagine.
    Amazon’s Kindle Tablet Is Very Real. I’ve Seen It, Played With It. | TechCrunch
    Android 2.x????? Meh
  3.    #3  
    I don't think that's really a problem though. It sounds like the Kindle tablet won't have anything to do with Google services at all.
    On the surface, I realize it may not matter as much if Amazon is essentially building their own UI/UX for the device and Android 2.x is just the core but won't this effect app compatibility in the near term? Won't there be Android tablet apps built for 3.x that won't run properly here?
  5.    #5  
    Oh yeah, fragmentation could be nuts when you're dealing with forked branches of Android that are a full version behind what Google is shipping. I just think Amazon has a large enough ecosystem - especially with their own app store - to where their forked Android kind of becomes its own separate operating system.

It's going to be interesting, though. Especially since this should be coming out around the same time the first wave of Ice Cream Sandwich tablets hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Android 2.x????? Meh
    Don't dismiss this. If we've seen anything from the fire sale, it's that the public cares much less about the geeky details of what OS is on a device as long as it allows for a certain level of functionality.

This is what HP should have done, but they were apparently too concerned with getting handsome profits with average hardware.

Many people don't want a $600 device that can be dropped and destroyed, but ~$250 is going to be the sweet spot. Seen the Nook color e-reader / low end tablet. They sell more than just about any tablet maker.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  7.    #7  
    Plus, think about all the perks Amazon can offer just because they're Amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Don't dismiss this. If we've seen anything from the fire sale, it's that the public cares much less about the geeky details of what OS is on a device as long as it allows for a certain level of functionality.
    The comment is my personal thoughts/feelings and not necessarily how I think the general public will perceive it.

For me, a great deal will depend on what kind of UI it has *and* if Amazon manages to grow a large enough userbase where developers will make sure their apps run on it. Fragmentation is always an issue.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    This, more than anything else, kills webOS. It will be ipad at the high end, and the Amazon tablet for everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    The comment is my personal thoughts/feelings and not necessarily how I think the general public will perceive it.

For me, a great deal will depend on what kind of UI it has *and* if Amazon manages to grow a large enough userbase where developers will make sure their apps run on it. Fragmentation is always an issue.
    Hey, didn't mean for that to come off as an attack, sorry if it did. I've been saying for a while it is a matter of value and not cost. That has always been the place for an upstart to make a dent in the market, even if at a loss in the first round. You are almost NEVER going to be able to best the leader in any consumer electronics market with better hardware at a lower price.

If you put enough units out there, the aftermarket is very forgiving of flaws. Look at all of accessories that sprung up for the iPhone to compensate for the things it could not do.

Now that HP has clearly exposed that strategy (quite by accident for them), they will sit on their hands while others take that space. And there are not that many who can. It has to be someone who controls most (if not all) of the mobile experience or has enough of an ecosystem that they don't need to be dependent on hardware sales alone. Accessories, software, and 'cloud' services... that is how HP should have used their 'scale' to add value to the Touchpad from it's launch.

If they move quickly, they are in an excellent position to be a player in mobile tech. Not "number one plus", but easily number 3 nipping at the heels of #2 depending on the metrics used to judge.

If they blow this, webOS will be dead... because the cost of breaking into the mobile market will be so high as to be prohibitive for all but tech equivalent of a sports team owner with an ego that drives him to lose money for years, hoping to sell for big bucks later.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    bluenote likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hankbuddy View Post
    This, more than anything else, kills webOS. It will be ipad at the high end, and the Amazon tablet for everyone else.
    Really?
    I love Amazon, don't get me wrong, and I buy a ton of stuff from them. But I like buying from other places also. I also like using my TouchPad to do word processing and spreadsheet editing and notetaking as a lightweight laptop processor, will Amazon allow me to do that?

If not, there is plenty of room for another lowend tablet.
    since it's supposed to come with free Amazon Prime membership($79/year),
    that makes the Amazon tablet essentially $160. ($249 minus $79)

....at least for folks like me who has been Amazon Prime members year after year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Really?
    I love Amazon, don't get me wrong, and I buy a ton of stuff from them. But I like buying from other places also. I also like using my TouchPad to do word processing and spreadsheet editing and notetaking as a lightweight laptop processor, will Amazon allow me to do that?

If not, there is plenty of room for another lowend tablet.
    Android has several office suites. Docs to Go, Office Suite Pro, Quick Office, Olive Office, Think Office, and AndrOffice. It's likely that the Amazon app store will offer these.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Android has several office suites. Docs to Go, Office Suite Pro, Quick Office, Olive Office, Think Office, and AndrOffice. It's likely that the Amazon app store will offer these.
    lets see what they do, kindle books are a proprietary format, what else will they do to make sure you buy from them alone and are locked in, customizing the
    os is a good start because then you may not be able to use the generic android app market
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    They already have an android app store on their home page. They will market the heck out of this thing. Their established base of kindle users will be one market for them already, and people who didn't see the utility of just owning an e-reader will now have incentive and a good price point to jump in with a more functional device. This will quickly become the number two tablet, and they will build the ecosystem for it that HP talked about but didn't have the will to actually create.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    As far as I can tell with a quick look, the amazon app store already sells all of those document editing suites.

(Interesting to note that the american site has had a redesign to make it tablet friendly, wonder when the UK will get it).
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    As far as I can tell with a quick look, the amazon app store already sells all of those document editing suites.

(Interesting to note that the american site has had a redesign to make it tablet friendly, wonder when the UK will get it).
    Will the Amazon Apps Store carry more apps than the HP Apps Catalog?

(will either of the above ever be bigger than the Apple or Android apps store? )
    My question is will the Android Tablet have native PIM applications - email, calendar, contacts? Also will I be able to text? How about the browser? What about the battery life? Will this version have color e-ink or will the next version have the color e-ink?

If the battery life is really good and it has color e-ink, this can at least replace my Kindle. If it has my other items + 3g/4g than it can also replace my Galaxy tab 7".
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    My question is will the Android Tablet have native PIM applications - email, calendar, contacts? Also will I be able to text? How about the browser? What about the battery life? Will this version have color e-ink or will the next version have the color e-ink?

If the battery life is really good and it has color e-ink, this can at least replace my Kindle. If it has my other items + 3g/4g than it can also replace my Galaxy tab 7".
    Color e-ink is not ready for prime time yet. I saw one at a computer show earlier this year.
    While it looked interesting, it was painful for my eyes. Sort of like reading color comic book
    that had been inside a washing maching too long.

I'm fairly certain that the upcoming Amazon tablet will have LCD screens. If it's priced
    around $200, I may consider getting one just because it's a 7" tablet. I do want a smaller
    7" tablet and my heart is really set on the new Samsung Galaxy Tablet with 7.7-inch
    AMOLED screen
    , but it will probably make it to the US for quite a while. (and will most
    likely cost just under $500)