Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    The trouble with selling at a loss then making money on services, is that HP are not a software/cloud services company...

Oh wait....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    He/she never said anything about a straight up swap. I think that would be dumb. Give up a $600 device for one that now has a market value of $150? However if you are willing to give up your 32gb Touchpad so easily I will buy it at $20 over the fire sale price as long as there is nothing wrong with it.
    I agree that straight up is silly. However, he has a 16 GB WiFi iPad 2 which retails for $499, and by his own calculations has a resale in the neighborhood of $430. Currently, the only source for Touchpads is eBay where they are selling for an average of $230 for the 16 GB and $280ish for the 32 GB. The Touchpad plus ~$200 in accessories/cash is reasonable. Since he is so eager to sell though, ~$150 in cash and accessories is not out of reason either. $20 over fire sale is not reasonable for a Touchpad at this point.

However, seeing as how he has not responded at all to my pm offer, I highly doubt he really has an iPad to sell, which is the point that was being made. I do not buy the story he is selling.
    Quote Originally Posted by jameskelsey View Post
    Here's a good example of the mindless masses. A few years ago when my daughter started high school I bought her a music player for Christmas. Not some no name crap but one of the solid brands can't remember which. She quit taking it to school because the future Apple Fanatics made fun of her because it wasn't a ipod. Come on now,$300 for something that at the time played heavily compressed MP3's through crappy ear buds. Not to mention the crappy rap they listen to.
    Replace "no name music player" with "no name tennis shoes" or "no name jeans" or "no name soda" and you'll see the same thing.

The biggest brand always carries more weight in high school.

This is news to you?
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I'm really surprised the mods let this thread alive here for several days and not move it somewhere else. I thought comparing non-webOS devices is not allowed in this particular sub-forum?

The 'Other tablets' sub-forum seems to be the perfect place for this thread as it's supposed to be where we "Share non-HP tablet news and facts to compare competing devices."
    Steve Jobs is a Genius at business, design and at how to sell something some other company came out with. I just don't believe in getting locked into anybody's limited walled garden,no matter how pretty it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Replace "no name music player" with "no name tennis shoes" or "no name jeans" or "no name soda" and you'll see the same thing.

This is news to you?
    It was worse than the clothes and other stuff. I bet most of those kids now have iphone's,apple computers and ipad's. You don't think Jobs was trying get kids hooked on his products and way of thinking. Induct young people into a way of thinking and you have customers for life. Or a political,religious or you name it zelot. Kids minds are easily influenced for good or bad.
    From what we have seen over the past week, if you jump into the game late you need to do something drastic to catch up. The fire sale is allowing them to catch up. Why spend tons of money on advertisement and training brick and mortar employees on how to sell the product when that is not working? Used that money on subsidies and give yourself a competitive advantage.
    Except they are not doing this to catch up, they are doing it to get out of the game. They are quitting, and in the process, they have doomed webOS to be seen as that "$99 tablet OS", which is why no other tablet maker will bother with it. This firesale is actually the worst thing HP could've done with webOS -- yes, you put it in a lot of hands, but you've given the public a reduced perception of its value. Putting a bunch of $99 tablets into consumer hands sounds like a wonderful idea, but not when you're trying to convince potential licensees that the OS can be profitable.

As for the idea of subsidizing a tablet, there is no point in subsidizing a product where the only profit to be made lies in its actual sale. Accessories are not an ongoing source of after-sale income, and the profit in apps is miniscule. HP realized it was futile trying to introduce yet another OS into what is essentially and Android/iOS world, and they did what they felt would save them money in the long run.
    the marketing for Hp alone is worth taking a loss on touchpad. I bet across the board HP is experiencing increased sales from all this publicity.
    I think most sane people buy them because they are easy to use and have excellent support up front (without having to shop for warranties). I used to recommend MacBooks and iMacs to people who could afford them. However your are right with the limited hardware and software options. Apple overcharges people for the same hardware in a pretty package and there aren't as many options as on the PC. With Windows 7 and Linux being stable on PCs, there is really no need to recommend MacOS-X devices anymore. I now recommend the lower cost PC over the higher costing Mac. Steve Jobs is an excellent salesman. You can't fault him for that. Too bad he is leaving the CEO job at Apple. He really brought the company back to it's glory days. Too bad also that I predict, based on your comments here and from talking to my friends and relatives, that Apple's craze days are over. Most have move to Android on their phones or buying cheaper PCs because they have had a taste of Apple's fruit and can no longer justify the higher prices. They also think that some of the other Apple users are pretentious. I've heard that word too many times about rabid Apple fans to ignore it.

Edit: I think the glowing apple on the backs of their products cost a lot of money to produce which in turn drives up the cost of the product. I have noticed that similar products without the glowing apple cost 1/3 of the price. Maybe if Apple gets rid of this expensive and useless accessory, their products would be cheaper?
    Ok, I have to set something straight. I have a MacBook Pro laptop from 2010. I have added an additional 4 gigs of RAM, took out the optical drive and added a 500gb WD 7200rpm Scorpio black HDD, made the optical drive an exterior drive via USB and then replaced the sock HDD with a 128gb SSD. I can dual boot into either Windows7 Ultimate or OSX Lion. And the battery can be replaced quite easily as well.
    Please name one PC makers laptop that can allow more hardware and OS software customization?

Now if you are talking desktops, the MacPro is a huge cost of money for a true desktop vs a PC setup of comparable specs. The iMac is comparable in price to other all in one PC maker hardware like Dell's.

Now buying aftemarket hardware from Apple is pure stupidity. What they charge for an SSD or RAM is pure lunacy.

But you can't fault Apple for what people will pay. And Apple continues to be #1 in customer satisfaction survey's year in and year out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    Please name one PC makers laptop that can allow more hardware and OS software customization?
    So you paid a premium price to get a Apple product then opened it up and dumped a bunch more money into it to get it the way you wanted it. Oh and you need to drag a external drive with you. Sounds wonderful but the average user wouldn't think of doing what you did.And if Apple is so good why do you need to dual boot windows.May I ask how much you have invested in this little wonder?

But you can't fault Apple for what people will pay. And Apple continues to be #1 in customer satisfaction survey's year in and year out.
    They're number one because you pay for their great support with the huge premium in the price.

Your user name probable shows a slight Apple influence.
    Really exhausted trying to get 2 touchpads in the past weeks, now I have an iPad 2 32gb & my wife has an iPad 2 16gb. Done! Amazing little devices!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jl3228 View Post
    Really exhausted trying to get 2 touchpads in the past weeks, now I have an iPad 2 32gb & my wife has an iPad 2 16gb. Done! Amazing little devices!!!
    Its funny

Before it was like

I can't get an Ipad1 or 2, let see if I can get another tablet, maybe galaxy and so on

Now its like

I can't get HP touchpad...oh well I guess i'll use an Ipad...

jokes
    snow
    So you paid a premium price to get a Apple product then opened it up and dumped a bunch more money into it to get it the way you wanted it. Oh and you need to drag a external drive with you. Sounds wonderful but the average user wouldn't think of doing what you did.And if Apple is so good why do you need to dual boot windows.May I ask how much you have invested in this little wonder?
    yep, I paid 1200 bucks for my 2.66ghz MBP last year. I spent $280 for the SSD right as they came out and $100 for the optibay. $80 for the 8 gigs of RAM. These are all 2010 prices. So $1600 total last year. To get an equivalent pc laptop made from high quality piece of aluminum block would have cost me... Do some research and you'll be surprised.
    As for the external drive, I don't use it. DVD's are a dead technology. That was the whole point. If I wanted I could install 2TB's of drive space into my laptop. How about you? Point is, claiming Mac's can't be customized, hardware-wise, is a faulty assumption.

And why have Windows installed? Because I can and because it's available if I want it. Don't be a hater. Just makes you look foolish.

Your user name probable shows a slight Apple influence.
    Normally I would agree. Except I was coding in DOS on a PC in 1984. Have had Windows or Commodore machines ever since. Added Apple products because I like using them. Just like I like using my TP.
    Don't be a hater. Just makes you look foolish.
    I never said you can't alter mac computers but the average user just buys what they offer or as you said pays a stupid price for upgraded memory,hard drive and such.

Your right,I'm foolish for arguing with a unbiased Apple user named Mac.World.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post

This is news to you?
    So you want to use a bunch of pimply face free loaders as your motivation for buying high price tech items? I'm a father of two teenager (one just started college) and I definitely don't buy them stuff just to be popular. I buy them stuff they need. I also pay for quality which I have discovered that most of the popular name brands lack. I have a mortage, three cars, two retirement accounts, students loans (wife), and two college funds that matter more than their popularity. Even with all this I can afford the price of an iPad 2 but can not justify the purchase because it does not meet my needs. I bought the Touchpad at full price and thank God that HP gave me back the difference to the firesale price.
    yep, I paid 1200 bucks for my 2.66ghz MBP last year. I spent $280 for the SSD right as they came out and $100 for the optibay. $80 for the 8 gigs of RAM. These are all 2010 prices. So $1600 total last year. To get an equivalent pc made from high quality piece of aluminum block would have cost me... Do some research and you'll be surprised.
    As for the external drive, I don't use it. DVD's are a dead technology. That was the whole point. If I wanted I could install 2TB's of drive space into my laptop. How about you? Point is, claiming Mac's can't be customized, hardware-wise, is a faulty assumption.

And why have Windows installed? Because I can and because it's available if I want it. Don't be a hater. Just makes you look foolish.

Normally I would agree. Except I was coding in DOS on a PC in 1984. Have had Windows or Commodore machines ever since. Added Apple products because I like using them. Just like I like using my TP.
    So lose the aluminum (why make a PC out of that anyway) and you can get two PCs with the same processor and with optical drives for the same price. I had a long argument with another person who was a die hard Mac fan. She had one hell of a custom made Macbook. Cost her over $2700. The hardware was great but not needed. Not too many people care about an aluminum frame. They care more about the price, processor, video card, screen size and quality, and the peripherals (USB ports, Blueray drives, Multi-card slots) than they did about the aluminum. Did a quick poll of the 20 or so people around us and all of them agreed with me more than they agreed with her. I only know three other people that own Macs. Everyone else owns PCs.

Apple has developed a good name for itself in the tablet market, like it did in the PMP market. However, Apple has a history of lossing market share by not going after the low end. The lost the desktop war to the PC because of this. If HP continues to flood the market with low cost, high quality tablets, they will lose the tablet market also.

Before anyone says that Apple has too much of a headstart, look at what happened to Sony (walkman and playstation), RIM (Blackberry), Palm (created the smartphone industry), Microsoft (with Windows Mobile), Gateway (in the PC realm), and Dell (also in the PC realm). Too many industry leaders have fallen because they priced themselves too high for the market.
    I pay a premium for Mac products because I love the OS. I've been using it since Beta, and I've grown accustomed to it. I considered the Hackintosh route, but I also prefer for everything to work right out of the box.

On the other hand, I'll never own an iPhone or iPad. However, to say Apple will lose any marketshare due to a tablet and OS that is no longer being made is really wishful thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I pay a premium for Mac products because I love the OS. I've been using it since Beta, and I've grown accustomed to it. I considered the Hackintosh route, but I also prefer for everything to work right out of the box.

On the other hand, I'll never own an iPhone or iPad. However, to say Apple will lose any marketshare due to a tablet and OS that is no longer being made is really wishful thinking.
    Now you sound like a reasonable Mac user. I'm not a Apple hater but I will point out it's warts. For certain users it's the only way to go and they have the best software for certain things. But for the average user that web surfs does email and some shopping it's overkill.If your know the pro's and con's of Apple verses PC and want to pay a premium that's fine. But some people have been convinced that it's made by unicorns or something.It's pretty much the same components in the mac and a PC,your paying for the name and the support.
    I never said you can't alter mac computers but the average user just buys what they offer or as you said pays a stupid price for upgraded memory,hard drive and such.

Your right,I'm foolish for arguing with a unbiased Apple user named Mac.World.
    I must of forgot I was biased towards Apple when I bought my HP desktops and Touchpad.

I use the Mac.World name cause that's what I have been using on multiple different boards for a whilw now. Makes it easier for an old guy like me to remember logins. Don't judge based on a login name my friend.
    . However, Apple has a history of lossing market share by not going after the low end. The lost the desktop war to the PC because of this.
    Doesn't seem to have hurt them any strategically or financially. There are lots of right ways to run a business. No reason to demonize any one way.

If HP continues to flood the market with low cost, high quality tablets, they will lose the tablet market also.
    You mean with a product they just pulled the plug on?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast