Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    sinsin07, why did you even answer drfp's post? There is no need to get into a yet another argument about how dilusional some techies are.

Edit: drfp, I did not mean you were dilusional. The comments by the Apple fans you listed were. sinsin07, the comments you listed from some P|C fans were also. You can find dilusional people by opening up your front door and throwing a few rocks in the air. You are bound to hit one.
    Yeah I took no offense, after years with the APple crowd you have to have a thick skin

I still post on the Apple forums since I still have an Iphone but its tough because with them you either own all Apple products or your a committing some kind of sin
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    Yeah I took no offense, after years with the APple crowd you have to have a thick skin

I still post on the Apple forums since I still have an Iphone but its tough because with them you either own all Apple products or your a committing some kind of sin
    B.S. Yes, there are diehard fans, just like with anything, but most Apple users have other devices as well. I just happen to have HP desktops, printers and the Touchpad to go along with my iPhones, iPads and Macs. I'm waiting for Ice Cream Sandwich to come out before getting anything Google based.

P.S. CNN.com had an interesting poll the other day, asking respondents if they owned an Apple device. Out of over 300,000 responses nearly 70% said yes. So, that means 2 out of every 3 people in just the U.S. are exposed to iOS or OSX. That is a lot of buyers and users that are or could become Apple fans. Just a thought.
    k4ever likes this.

I still post on the Apple forums since I still have an but its tough because with them you either own all Apple products or your a committing some kind of sin
    Yes, that is very sad. I own several iPod Touchs, a 7 inch Android Tablet, 1 Android phone (about to replace the Pre with another one), and a Blackberry in addition to my Touchpad. I also owned an iPhone for a very short period of time. I'm a member of XDA Developers (non-developer), TiPB and several other iOS forums, and P|C. So I really don't understand who these people think they are trying to fool with their comments. Yes Apple does some things right, so does Microsoft and Google, but none of this stuff is the be all end all. All of them (the hardware) have problems.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    K4ever, most of the examples you cited are high margin products funding the loss leader. HP doesn't have a high margin consumer product. As you stated, the PCs are low-margin, and no matter your volume, low-margin is still low-margin. All you have to do is look at Apple earnings vs hp. Apple had revenue of $27B and profits of just over $7B. HP on the other hand had higher revenue, over $31B, but net profits of just under $2B. HP was looking at webOS as a high-margin product similar to other phones and tablets.

Also, if you assume some one keeps a tablet for 1-2 years, you need to make anywhere from $10 (2 years) to $20 (1 year) of pure profit a month per tablet just to break even. That isn't gonna happen making 30 cents on the dollar per app. You would have to sell roughly $30-$70 worth of apps per month to make that kind of money (that assumes 100% out of their 30% end, which isn't true). That is just not going to happen. I am not sure where they could make up that kind of money. This is why these things are only being subsidized by cell carriers.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    B.S. Yes, there are diehard fans, just like with anything, but most Apple users have other devices as well. I just happen to have HP desktops, printers and the Touchpad to go along with my iPhones, iPads and Macs. I'm waiting for Ice Cream Sandwich to come out before getting anything Google based.
    LOL I understand about Google

but my wife's Android phone is pretty good.

There are some Diehard fans here

fanatics are hard to discuss things with

I have an Iphone 4
    Ipods
    Gateway ( yes Gateway after Acer bought them) PC
    Beta testing Windows 8 next
    Dell Laptops
    Wife Android Captivate
    HP wireless printer ( my opinion HP makes the best printers in the world)
    now HP touchpads

Believe me I have been attacked many times by Apple people in posts
    there are more APple fanatics then any other platform

By the Way for some reason I got spanked here for posting WebOS
    Its webOS OMG......................

P.S. CNN.com had an interesting poll the other day, asking respondents if they owned an Apple device. Out of over 300,000 responses nearly 70% said yes. So, that means 2 out of every 3 people in just the U.S. are exposed to iOS or OSX. That is a lot of buyers and users that are or could become Apple fans. Just a thought.
    Yes, and that is the thing that kills me when I see some of the comments here and elsewhere by other Apple users. I own and use Apple, Windows, and Android products. I'm not stuck in a one platform only world. I use what is best for my needs. My iPod Touch serves a purpose but I don't want a MacBook even though I can afford one. I would much rather have a PC for the versatility. I didn't want an iPad because I hate the UI. It's great on the iPod Touch but it sucks on a larger screen. On a tablet I wanted the ability to replace my laptop and maintain some of the functionality that my laptop had. Having multiple windows up at the same time and Flash is part of the functionality I needed. The iPad does not do any of that. It adds functionality that I don't need (cough, cough rear camera. what is it a larger cell phone ) while hampering it with an OS that was not made to do more than one thing at a time along with a rabid crusade not to add any plugin that Apple deems not worthy of having simply because their engineers can't figure out ways to make them work and maintain stability and battery life (cough, cough Flash).
    Last edited by k4ever; 08/28/2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Edit: Contest winner for the longest sentence on P|C! My prize a smiley face :).
    Flatso likes this.

No doubt....some of those hardcore apple ******* only see black and white, its kind of disturbing. I'm a PC fan basically because I'm cheap and shop specs. With the iPhone I hopped on the apple bandwagon because the iPhone itself was a huge innovation and years ahead of what was out there with the original phone and even up to the 3GS. I bought the iPad because I fell for the whole app experience on the phone but after owning an iPad for 4 weeks don't think the ios experience translates well to the bigger form factor.

If it weren't for the price unfortunately I would not have even tried webOS. Now that I have, I'm in love. Yes it has its flaws, but to me, they are minimal and I think the webOS experience on a tablet slaps the turd out of iOS on a tablet. Hardware wise however, I think the ipad2 does beat the TP if by just a hair, and I think you are crazy if you don't agree. Taking the whole package into account, for me the TP wins and thats why I've decided to sell my iPad2.
    k4ever likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatso View Post
    . Taking the whole package into account, for me the TP wins and thats why I've decided to sell my iPad2.
    So are you willing to do a straight up swap? Let me know if you're interested. 32gb for your ipad2.
    Good read, spot on editor. Thanks!
    LOL I understand about Google

but my wife's Android phone is pretty good.

There are some Diehard fans here

fanatics are hard to discuss things with

I have an Iphone 4
    Ipods
    Gateway ( yes Gateway after Acer bought them) PC
    Beta testing Windows 8 next
    Dell Laptops
    Wife Android Captivate
    HP wireless printer ( my opinion HP makes the best printers in the world)
    now HP touchpads

Believe me I have been attacked many times by Apple people in posts
    there are more APple fanatics then any other platform

By the Way for some reason I got spanked here for posting WebOS
    Its webOS OMG......................
    Have you been over to Macforums recently? Funny how many Touchpad threads there are and no one is being attacked. Probably because so many Apple fans bought Touchpads.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    So are you willing to do a straight up swap? Let me know if you're interested. 32gb for your ipad2.
    LOL! I already asked him! I even offered to throw in cash and a touchstone and got no response. I don't think he actually has an iPad to sell.
    I was waiting for a TP at release because work was going to buy me a tablet. When it turned out the VPN and wireless security would not work, I got an iPad. Been using it for two months now (I love WebOS and have my original Pre and hoped against hope for a Pre3). I also purchased several TP's during the firesale for wife and kids, and I've been setting them up for a few days now. As much as I love WebOS, the TP cannot be compared to an iPad 2, at least in terms of what I use it for. No Dropbox; no HBO Go; no Pulse; can only get Hulu with a patch. And most importantly, no way to edit any Word docs. The lack of flash was what I figured would make a huge difference, but the fact is the iPad gets around that pretty well. I can't use it at work (won't connect to the secure wifi because of certificate issues that for some reason the iPad doesn't have at all). I'm glad I got them, because they are a great deal for those that want to use them primarily for websurfing and not for work, but the iPad is very much further along, and the lack of true multitasking is not really that evident. Not surprising, but still the TP is no match....IMHO.
    The mindless Apple ******* can be vicious. If you like pretty and over price tech it's wonderful. The computers they sell have a limited option for hardware and software and are often underpowered to save weight on cooling and add battery life. They have great support but you are paying for it with the ridiculous prices they charge. You can buy a PC with better hardware and add on one of those expensive home service warranties to it for the same or better price. If you are fairly techy and don't need a Genius to hold your hand to do everything your just paying for shinny and slick advertising. Steve Jobs could crap in a box and he would have people lined up to buy icrap. Just my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    He/she never said anything about a straight up swap. I think that would be dumb. Give up a $600 device for one that now has a market value of $150? However if you are willing to give up your 32gb Touchpad so easily I will buy it at $20 over the fire sale price as long as there is nothing wrong with it.
    Have you been over to Macforums recently? Funny how many Touchpad threads there are and no one is being attacked. Probably because so many Apple fans bought Touchpads.
    Yes, they seem to save their attacks for here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jameskelsey View Post
    The mindless Apple ******* can be vicious. If you like pretty and over price tech it's wonderful. The computers they sell have a limited option for hardware and software and are often underpowered to save weight on cooling and add battery life. They have great support but you are paying for it with the ridiculous prices they charge. You can buy a PC with better hardware and add on one of those expensive home service warranties to it for the same or better price. If you are fairly techy and don't need a Genius to hold your hand to do everything your just paying for shinny and slick advertising. Steve Jobs could crap in a box and he would have people lined up to buy icrap. Just my two cents.
    I think most sane people buy them because they are easy to use and have excellent support up front (without having to shop for warranties). I used to recommend MacBooks and iMacs to people who could afford them. However your are right with the limited hardware and software options. Apple overcharges people for the same hardware in a pretty package and there aren't as many options as on the PC. With Windows 7 and Linux being stable on PCs, there is really no need to recommend MacOS-X devices anymore. I now recommend the lower cost PC over the higher costing Mac. Steve Jobs is an excellent salesman. You can't fault him for that. Too bad he is leaving the CEO job at Apple. He really brought the company back to it's glory days. Too bad also that I predict, based on your comments here and from talking to my friends and relatives, that Apple's craze days are over. Most have move to Android on their phones or buying cheaper PCs because they have had a taste of Apple's fruit and can no longer justify the higher prices. They also think that some of the other Apple users are pretentious. I've heard that word too many times about rabid Apple fans to ignore it.

Edit: I think the glowing apple on the backs of their products cost a lot of money to produce which in turn drives up the cost of the product. I have noticed that similar products without the glowing apple cost 1/3 of the price. Maybe if Apple gets rid of this expensive and useless accessory, their products would be cheaper?
    Last edited by k4ever; 08/28/2011 at 12:56 PM.
    Here's a good example of the mindless masses. A few years ago when my daughter started high school I bought her a music player for Christmas. Not some no name crap but one of the solid brands can't remember which. She quit taking it to school because the future Apple Fanatics made fun of her because it wasn't a ipod. Come on now,$300 for something that at the time played heavily compressed MP3's through crappy ear buds. Not to mention the crappy rap they listen to.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    as far as i'm concerned, the touchpad is superior to the ipad in most ways, except for the glaring difference in number of apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    He/she never said anything about a straight up swap. I think that would be dumb. Give up a $600 device for one that now has a market value of $150? However if you are willing to give up your 32gb Touchpad so easily I will buy it at $20 over the fire sale price as long as there is nothing wrong with it.
    Its only market value if you can buy one for that. I don't know anywhere you can buy one today for $150-- not any more. Just thought if he wanted one, and since they aren't available, he'd trade.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    As much as I love WebOS, the TP cannot be compared to an iPad 2, at least in terms of what I use it for. No Dropbox; no HBO Go; no Pulse; can only get Hulu with a patch.
    hbo go works great by just simply using the browser.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast