Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've hated Windows OS for a long time but this looks pretty incredible. They have a ton of really cool features (including the ability to use two apps side by side and resize them).

The demo starts at 54 seconds:

Microsoft unveils Windows 8 (video) -- Engadget
    I like Windows.. even liked Vista (which received a bad name at launch, but the features were worth the driver compatibility and performance hits, and by the time SP1 rolled around, the compatibility issues were mostly fixed). So my opinion might be a little biased...

But anyone who is complaining that Windows (especially Vista and 7) doesn't work on a tablet hasn't actually given it a try. Firstly, if you don't like the size of something, you can resize anything. And while many hate the ribbon interface of Office 2007 and up, it works great on a tablet. Things like Aero Snap are also really helpful on a Touchscreen. And most importantly is OneNote (especially using a pen). To be honest, this is a killer app that once you get used to, it's hard to do without (and yet nobody knows it even exists).

I personally have a Windows 7 convertible tablet, and a very old HP slate tablet (TC1100). If they hadn't discontinued the TC1100 line and kept making it more modern and sleek I probably wouldn't have even wanted a Touchpad. (I'm aware of the HP Slate, but there were some issues with that that made me decide not to get it and wait for Win8).

Yes, you don't get the apps, but I can be much more productive with Windows.

Windows 8 looks to dumb down the Windows experience for tablets, which as a power user, I'm not sure about, but I suppose it is something that needs to be done to compete with Apple.
    AHA! Take a look at the video around 3:00. Dead giveaway showing exactly what Windows 8 will be: A UI running on top of Windows 7, in the same manner that the Media Center app currently on Vista/7 gives you a different UI and user experience.

So if you're worried about losing poweruser functionality in 8, it will be Windows 7 under the hood, and you can just opt not to use the fancy-shmancy touch-optimized UI app that makes it Windows 8.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the Windows 8 UI is a direct descendant of Media Center.

ETA: This may also mean that we will not see Windows 8 running on the same type of tablet hardware as the other tablet offerings. They will have to run PC-compatible hardware. That is of course unless MS is working on porting Windows 7 to run on non-x86 CPUs.
    Last edited by Syndil; 08/26/2011 at 01:10 PM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    (including the ability to use two apps side by side and resize them).
    Truly revolutionary.

When Microsoft rolled it out in Windows 1.0.

What is it about the word "app" that makes otherwise intelligent people completely forget in their euphoria that they're just computer programs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    AHA! Take a look at the video around 3:00. Dead giveaway showing exactly what Windows 8 will be: A UI running on top of Windows 7, in the same manner that the Media Center app currently on Vista/7 gives you a different UI and user experience.

So if you're worried about losing poweruser functionality in 8, it will be Windows 7 under the hood, and you can just opt not to use the fancy-shmancy touch-optimized UI app that makes it Windows 8.
    Windows 8 will be able to run on ARM processors, which was the huge deal. It's not just a UI change.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Truly revolutionary.
    My thoughts exactly. :-)

For a windows on tablet-like hardware it's a good step forward compared to the crimes MS commited in the past in that area.

Other than that I don't see anything impressive there. This only means that W8 won't be as far behind on touch-based computers as it used to be.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Windows 8 will be able to run on ARM processors, which was the huge deal. It's not just a UI change.
    The great thing about ARM is that it uses less energy than an equivalently clocked x86 processor.

The bad thing about ARM is that it's slower than an equivalently clocked x86.

Considering how Windows 7 runs on dual-core 1,5GHz Atom processors, it will be very interesting to see how Windows 8 with its Metro skin runs on quad-core 1,5GHz ARM processors. It'll probably be about the same, give or take... and therefore MUCH slower than what people are apparently expecting of tablets, especially since Windows is actually multitasking, unlike iOS, whose speed is a result of glorified singletasking and splash picture trickery, but which is definitely the product against which all others are measured today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    As I understand it, Windows 8 on ARM will look very similar to Windows 8 on x86, but they will be two very different animals.

What are the differences between Windows 8 on Intel and ARM

The main differences between the two platforms are as follows…

Intel

Like a traditional PC, able to run all your existing applications
    Probably a worse battery life than ARM tablets
    Will be updated regularly through Windows Update
    Could still be prone to viruses and malware as it’s still ‘traditional’ Windows
    Problems in the OS can still mean you’ll have to reinstall Windows occasionally

ARM

Cannot run any existing PC apps, will only run apps written or compiled for ARM and available in the Windows Marketplace
    Excellent battery life
    Will probably receive less regular updates
    Will be very resilient to viruses and malware being ‘not traditional Windows’ and with tighter app control from Microsoft
    Windows on a Chip means it will never need reinstalling
    Basically it seems to me like Windows 8 on x86 will be exactly like I said... Windows 7 running a Media-Center-esque UI over top of it. And Windows 8 on ARM will be something that looks sort of like Windows 8 on x86, but isn't really.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Truly revolutionary.

What is it about the word "app" that makes otherwise intelligent people completely forget in their euphoria that they're just computer programs?
    Who said I forgot that? But show me ONE, just ONE, mobile OS/Device right now that allows you to do this? Hmmm...there isn't one. Instead of being a jerk, why not actually think for a second. I never said it was revolutionary, just that I really like that their MOBILE operating system will allow you to do this.
    IF Windows 8 for tablet differs from PC that what good it will be? first time I thought about Windows 8 that will rule the market IF microsoft can make all pc apps runs on tablet without any re-write convert or anything else. Just install like on PC. When will this happen?? I know ARM & x86 differs, but I hope much microsoft can do something revolutioner, but yet seems end dissapointment.
    Just watched the video. Windows 8 has me intrigued. I want to know more. I'd say that makes it successful.

I love that you can still get to the old windows ui. That is very smart. They have to get people using the new ui but allow them to feel comfortable enough to buy it as it has the old just in case.

We'll have to see where this goes but i like the first step.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    I'm very anxious to have a Transformer like Windows 8 tablet.

The upcoming Atom CPU's are supposed to go down to 32nm and become more battery efficient and allow fanless designs while performing the same as the current dual core Atoms but paired with a more powerful GPU (HD 3000-esque?) in a SoC. If my current netbook is any indication, I'm guessing 6-9 hours in real use depending on the battery size.

This wont be a super seamless mobile OS like iOS/WebOS/Android but it looks like the best compromise to allow people like me to pop in a keyboard dock, swipe away the touch layer and get down to work with Adobe CS5. All I really need is a good touch browser (IE10 with deep GPU acceleration fits the bill plus flash is way better on Windows) and a couple of touch friendly key apps (Twitter, Facebook, Mail, etc - which we all know will be in the cards). Can't frick'n wait.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Windows is heading toward the end as the OS of choice. They are carrying far too much legacy baggage & bloated code to be competitive with WebOS -not to mention all the other Tablet OS. When they brag of twenty million lines of code removed rather than added they would have done something positive.

There is no reason to need massive hardware & memory as the Pre/Android/Apple phones/tablets prove. Windows is a mess that we should have abandoned back when OS/2 was around but, like HP & WebOS, IBM blew that "war" with extremely bad decisions. Even so OS/2 lasted more than a decade especially in security operations like ATM's that never run the insecure Windows & moved to Linux after OS/2 finally went away totally.

Thank heavens for Apple, Google, Palm (which it appears Apple stole most of their "innovations" from) who have shown we don't need a fat client & massive hardware to get our web pages & email and much more). Windows is dying a well deserved and long overdue death at last. 8 is a last gasp almost certain to be another Windows Millenium/Vista in the making. Avoid if possible (and it certainly is).
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by timeweb2 View Post
    There is no reason to need massive hardware & memory as the Pre/Android/Apple phones/tablets prove.
    Except I can be so much more productive on my Windows PC than on any of these mobile OS tablets. (You could say the same about OS X, or desktop Linux distros too).

I've been without a laptop for almost a month, and what I can do with just a Touchpad is so limited, and so frustrating.
    NoICon likes this.
    I think it is better then what Microsoft has done in the past, but yes it still just sits on-top of the Windows 7 or whatever they'll call it desktop.

Either way, I wish webOS would do some pain and Windows management like Windows 8 plans to do and extend then panel architecture in webOS 3.0 with multiple app functionality like Microsoft is doing. I can Dream! Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by timeweb2 View Post
    Windows is heading toward the end as the OS of choice. They are carrying far too much legacy baggage & bloated code to be competitive with WebOS -not to mention all the other Tablet OS. When they brag of twenty million lines of code removed rather than added they would have done something positive.

There is no reason to need massive hardware & memory as the Pre/Android/Apple phones/tablets prove. Windows is a mess that we should have abandoned back when OS/2 was around but, like HP & WebOS, IBM blew that "war" with extremely bad decisions. Even so OS/2 lasted more than a decade especially in security operations like ATM's that never run the insecure Windows & moved to Linux after OS/2 finally went away totally.

Thank heavens for Apple, Google, Palm (which it appears Apple stole most of their "innovations" from) who have shown we don't need a fat client & massive hardware to get our web pages & email and much more). Windows is dying a well deserved and long overdue death at last. 8 is a last gasp almost certain to be another Windows Millenium/Vista in the making. Avoid if possible (and it certainly is).
    Mobile OS's will die in the tablet market, it's the reason why only "cool" iPad tablets are selling well. Apple carved out a niche market but the masses will buy into Windows 8 tablets because they are useful and not just cool. This is just a stepping stone towards making a productivity OS that is touch friendly and intuitive. Microsoft will be back on top when they converge gaming/media centers/smartphones/tablets/desktops/laptops with Windows 9 which will be what people want Windows 8 to be but can't be right now.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    I watched the windows 8 video and was laughing the whole time.

It's absolutely insane to imagine that sort of OS on a desktop PC for tons of reasons (not the least of which being the stupidity of touchscreen interfaces when you're sitting back in your chair using the desktop with mouse/keyboard). I'd have things defaulting to the proper windows 7 look before you could say "user agent control".

On a tablet though - yeah, I could see it. It's not bad, I just don't see it as insanely revolutionary either. We'll see how it feels in person I suppose, but if gates trys to cram this down my desktop I'm sure I wont be the only one laughing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I watched the windows 8 video and was laughing the whole time.

It's absolutely insane to imagine that sort of OS on a desktop PC for tons of reasons (not the least of which being the stupidity of touchscreen interfaces when you're sitting back in your chair using the desktop with mouse/keyboard).
    Of course they probably are thinking about putting Windows 8 on tons of different configurations. Think kiosks that run touch screens. Who's to say that the next great "innovation" in home desktop computers won't be touch-capable monitors. I can certainly see that gaining traction in the home. Your monitor is touch-capable and you use it as such, but you still have your keyboard and mouse available for when you need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrajew View Post
    Of course they probably are thinking about putting Windows 8 on tons of different configurations. Think kiosks that run touch screens. Who's to say that the next great "innovation" in home desktop computers won't be touch-capable monitors. I can certainly see that gaining traction in the home. Your monitor is touch-capable and you use it as such, but you still have your keyboard and mouse available for when you need it.
    I understand what you're saying - and that's probably the thinking going on inside redmond as well, I just think it's silly.

Windows has been pretty well baked into a solid product. We've generally arrived at a comfortable power-use OS that everyone knows and most understand. Changing to some silly picture-filled pretty window touchy-interface is going to be weird.

I just don't see that sort of OS being adopted as a desktop interface. Call me a luddite or something but I feel like we've arrived at the basic end-result product and everything from here should be refinements, not overhauls.

Sortof the "reinventing the wheel" issue, or the fact that pretty much every car on the road today drives in the same basic way. There's a steering wheel -there-, a shifter over -there-, dashboard console with informational displays --there-. Some variation of course, but all along a common theme (sortof like the windows/mac differences). Take a car and put the drivers seat in the middle, remove the gas pedal and give you a finger throttle trigger, remove the steering wheel and give you a touchscreen swipe-to-turn interface, and I have a feeling most drivers would look at that company like they were bat**** insane.

Same goes for windows 8. Insanity . Works on a pad, doesn't work on a desktop.
    laoh likes this.
    There used to be a company that made touch screen PC's that ran Windows Vista/7. They were out of Palo Alta, California. For awhile they had this crazy woman running the show, then she was replaced by a crazier man, who was in turn replaced by a crazier yet man.

I can't think of their name though...
    dsalonius and laoh like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast