Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tasogare
  • 1 Post By nyuepik
  1.    #1  
    Found this article which purports to explain the webOS on iPad stories.

AppleInsider | HP ran its webOS SDK on iPad 2, hopes to license it as mobile web app tool

This whole fiasco just keeps getting stranger.
    JED-WEB-OS likes this.
    Interesting
    Expanding Enyo beyond webOS is a great idea, imo. A lot of developers seem to think the same from what I've read.
    I stopped reading when the author said webOS "uses Apple's Webkit."
    WebOS does use Apple's WebKit, which is not the same as Safari, and those of us who actually develop for WebOS have been pointing out that it was Enyo since we heard about the story.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    ..but it does
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I thought WebKit was an open source project?
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    I thought WebKit was an open source project?
    Yes, it is NOT Apple;s Webkit. Both WebOS and iOS use Webkit is the basis for their browsers.
    Running the Enyo emulator in the iPad bowser is nothing special. The iOS browser is an HTML5 compliant browser. It will also run on any other html5 browser such as Chrome.

The only thing that is interesting is that it ran very fast compared to the Touchpad Browser. But Apple has had plenty of time to optimize its Browser through several iOS device iterations and OS updates. The iPad also runs a very large chunk of silicone dedicated to GPU work and I believe iOS and its browser take a lot more help from the GPU than either Android or WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Quote of the year!!!
    Check the wiki article on WebKit, it is accurate to call it Apple's even if it is Open Source, and much bigger than Apple at this point. Also, WebOS uses a pretty old WebKit version, which is much closer to the original Apple version than the newer more diversified version.

And please note that I am not an Apple fan.
    Rumors from buyout days - Apple wants webOS to push it against RIM - now have much more sense.