113 Global Posts
    Just wondering?

When it was first announced. They touted:

Touch-to-Share
    SMS from your phone
    Flash
    Document Editing
    Multitasking

We are a month and a half past launch and the Touchpad still can't do Touch-to-Share or SMS messaging from your phone.

Yes the Touchpad can view flash site etc. BUT thats basically a moot point as iOS has browsers available in the App Catalog (Puffin Browser, etc) that can do flash as well.

There is still a gross lack of apps and developer support compared to the competition.

EVERY other tablet on the market i think has document editing ability.

iOS and Android have Multitasking abiliy as well.

So what sets the touchpad apart from the competition?

-Gromet
    Apple iPad2 64GB WiFi +3G (Verizon)
    Apple iPhone4 32GB (AT&T)
    Touchpad 32GB WiFi - RETURNED
    Veer 4G - SOLD
    It can charge without plugging it in… …If you buy a separate charger.

-Suntan
    It's incorrect to say that iOS devices "can do Flash as well." AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $those$ $third$-$party$ $browsers$ $merely$ $translate$/$transcode$ $Flash$ video into something the iPhone/iPad can play. Flash-based websites are still inaccessible.
    The Pre 3 can TTS and SMS message.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Only things on your list the ipad can't do are

TTS
    SMS
    Flash
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grometnj View Post
    Just wondering?

When it was first announced. They touted:

Touch-to-Share
    SMS from your phone
    Flash
    Document Editing
    Multitasking

We are a month and a half past launch and the Touchpad still can't do Touch-to-Share or SMS messaging from your phone.

Yes the Touchpad can view flash site etc. BUT thats basically a moot point as iOS has browsers available in the App Catalog (Puffin Browser, etc) that can do flash as well.

There is still a gross lack of apps and developer support compared to the competition.

EVERY other tablet on the market i think has document editing ability.

iOS and Android have Multitasking abiliy as well.

So what sets the touchpad apart from the competition?

-Gromet
    How about:
    1.I can make and receive calls on my touchpad with my pre plus paired phone or skype ( TP gives me the choice if phone is paired)
    2. Downloading a multi gigabyte files from box.net to my touchpad and watching a flash video simultaneously without either being paused when I switch to another app. Or running an ssh client without it being disconnected once i switch to another app. The Ipad can't even dream of doing this.
    3. Full web browsing experience. Flash isn't just about youtube what about bank and financial services websites, Ipad can't do flash browsing, I've heard the alternative browsers performance is far below the touchpad's
    4. Not being interrupted by notifications!
    5.Synergy-nuff said, you obviously don't have a touchpad or you wouldn't even post this question
    6. Just type and quick actions.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    i have both and like the touchpad better for everything except the apps...then again, apps are a big deal to me
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    How about:
    1.I can make and receive calls on my touchpad with my pre plus paired phone or skype ( TP gives me the choice if phone is paired)
    2. Downloading a multi gigabyte files from box.net to my touchpad and watching a flash video simultaneously without either being paused when I switch to another app. Or running an ssh client without it being disconnected once i switch to another app. The Ipad can't even dream of doing this.
    3. Full web browsing experience. Flash isn't just about youtube what about bank and financial services websites, Ipad can't do flash browsing, I've heard the alternative browsers performance is far below the touchpad's
    4. Not being interrupted by notifications!
    I would say all of what you said can easily be updated with software updates come ios 6.
    Most People don't care for Flash and Multitasking
    Ios 5 has new notifications
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    5.Synergy-nuff said, you obviously don't have a touchpad or you wouldn't even post this question
    6. Just type and quick actions.
    Actually yes, I had a Touchpad from Launch day until Two Days ago...

Synergy, Why is this SUCH a big deal? Yes when you first setup the device it brings your accounts in right away (All you have to do is enter your passwords) How many accounts do you guys have? even if it's like 5 or 7 accounts is it really that hard to set them up on the other devices?

AIM, Twitter, a few email accounts, BOX, Dropbox, Skype, etc... It really only takes a few minutes, i dont get why this is such a great feature?

Just type... really, Never really used it when I had the Touchpad. If I wanted to search an email, I would launch the email app and search, want to search for a website, launch the browser and search...

And YES iOS has alternative browsers that can not only play flash videos, but play flash games, navigate flash based sites etc. Like I said, Check out Puffin, I'm playing Pawn Stars on Facebook on it right now.

-Gromet
    Veer 4G - SOLD
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    It's incorrect to say that iOS devices "can do Flash as well." AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $those$ $third$-$party$ $browsers$ $merely$ $translate$/$transcode$ $Flash$ video into something the iPhone/iPad can play. Flash-based websites are still inaccessible.
    Look up iSwifter. It quite literally does full flash sites. I don't know how they can afford to do it at the price they do (one flat rate fee to buy the app initially, used to be just 99 cents, not sure now) but basically their server does all the processing and sends down a video stream. The end result is as long as you have at least a 2Mbps connection it feels much like the built in browser only able to run Flash sites as well as a computer could.

If you've ever heard of Onlive for games, it is kind of the same feel/setup as that.
    TP advantages over Ipad2: Truly Adobe Flash capable (not translated by a 3rd party), better audio (from Beats), more intuitive, approaching true multitasking, built in inductive charging.

Ipad2 advantage over TP: App Store.
    most people don't care for flash? I beg to differ. I can't tell you how many family members and friends have called me wondering why some websites dont work (they think something is wrong with their internet or iPad until I explain). Then I'm asked how to get around it. All I can do is shrug because I tell them the apps that will will never run smoothly and just add extra crap and steps to their browsing.

the TP manages flash very well,in fact surprisingly well.
    Can apple manage a user's account the way webOS does? Single profile on multiple devices and no need o hook up to a computer and access an app to restore profile or apps per say? Can the iPad allow you to work on multiple emails at once? "Do you need an app for that" or does the os allow you to pull data from multiple accounts all into a single view like photos or calendars.
    the Touchpad can view flash site etc. BUT thats basically a moot point as iOS has browsers available in the App Catalog (Puffin Browser, etc) that can do flash as well.
    please tell me you are kidding. Sorry, but i have an iPhone and an iPad. The way my touchPad plays flash is nothing less than amazing

getting some if those third party browsers to work is more painful than multitasking on iphone, which answers your other questions.

I do agree with you on the apps, I miss some of my apps.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    Can apple manage a user's account the way webOS does? Single profile on multiple devices and no need o hook up to a computer and access an app to restore profile or apps per say?
    Actually yes, have you seen iOS 5 at all? Same account on multiple devices, automatic login of account without having to touch a PC, auto sync's apps, photos, music etc., When you get an App on one, it automatically is available to all devices, when you take a photo on one, it is automatically synked to all. etc...

-Gromet
    Veer 4G - SOLD
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Actually yes, have you seen iOS 5 at all? Same account on multiple devices, automatic login of account without having to touch a PC, auto sync's apps, photos, music etc., When you get an App on one, it automatically is available to all devices, when you take a photo on one, it is automatically synked to all. etc...

-Gromet
    iOS5 hasn't been released yet, so should not be part of this convo.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    i like my Touchpad more than my dads Ipad 2 except for the scrolling smoothness and the app store.. two very big things for me but nevertheless i love my TP
    grometnj

It really doesn't matter which tablet can do what. The only thing that matters is what the individual user likes and wants (which ecosystem they prefer).

I own and have owned iOS devices and Android devices. As great as those OSes are, I still prefer webOS because it works for me. I believe in the platform and am willing to continue to help it reach it's full potential (we are in the very early stages right now).

If webOS isn't working for you, find something that does. Maybe you'll check back in a year or two and decide that enough progress has been made for you to jump in again.

Good luck with whatever OS you choose.
    iOS5 hasn't been released yet, so should not be part of this convo.
    Most of that is not iOS 5. I've been home recovering from a tonsillectomy and going back and forth from my advices with mail, forums, netflix, and just picking up where the last one left off.
    Geeze, no one mentioned preware.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast