Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By milominderbinde
  1.    #1  
    Ouch, this is not something that RIM needed. Sprint canceled the Playbook 4G for a reason that is all too familiar to us webOS fans: they're not exactly thrilled with the sales numbers so they don't want to risk the Playbook 4G launching to poor sales. You can still find the wifi version at Sprint, but what's the point of buying a wifi-only device from a carrier?

    BlackBerry PlayBook WiMAX release canceled for Sprint | This is my next...
  2. #2  
    This is what I've been saying all along. Sprint can ill afford to adopt anything other than a guaranteed seller (Android). They can't pay for additional training, advertising and precious shelf space for an average to sub-par product. HP will have a hard time selling webOS to Sprint anytime soon unless the Pre3 just blows people away on AT&T. I'll actually commend Sprint for doing everything in their power to keep themselves above water. If Verizon was in the same financial shape as Sprint, they would have nose dived into the dead sea by now.
  3. #3  
    I like this one:

    Will RIM's PlayBook get WiMAX? The Now Network says no/

    So the "superior" QNX OS of Playbook is falling flat? Should of stuck to more earth bound OSes and left QNX to outer space, like International Space Station.
  4. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #4  
    i believe it has more to do with wimax not being a worthwhile investment than poor sales of the playbook.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    I like this one:

    Will RIM's PlayBook get WiMAX? The Now Network says no/

    So the "superior" QNX OS of Playbook is falling flat? Should of stuck to more earth bound OSes and left QNX to outer space, like International Space Station.
    Well its missing a list of things

    -NDK to create native apps
    -Email Client (its been 5 months)
    -Android Player (only phone apps so no real point)

    Most of the things it has going for it both Android and Webos both have also.


    Rim really should have waited till june everyone else.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    i believe it has more to do with wimax not being a worthwhile investment than poor sales of the playbook.
    They just released a Wimax phone and Tablet two months ago. The GS2 is going to be wimax capable. Also saying their getting rid of wimax is bad for business. These are the guys that bought nextel they are used to having too incompatible frequencies
  7. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #7  
    yes, and two weeks ago sprint themselves said WiMAX is dead with the deal with lightsquared....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    Well its missing a list of things

    -NDK to create native apps
    -Email Client (its been 5 months)
    -Android Player (only phone apps so no real point)

    Most of the things it has going for it both Android and Webos both have also.


    Rim really should have waited till june everyone else.
    Well then that does not even qualify as half baked. The Touchpad is more like half baked. The Playbook is only a quarter done.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    i believe it has more to do with wimax not being a worthwhile investment than poor sales of the playbook.
    This might be the case. An update to the TIMN post has a statement from RIM saying they're focusing on LTE instead of WiMAX, although I think that's just RIM saving face trying to mitigate the impact this will have on the Playbook's image.
  10. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #10  
    proof is in the pudding guys, they just announce the LTE version according to BGR...

    Following Sprint’s confirmation that it has chosen not to move forward in releasing a 4G WiMAX-enabled version of RIM’s BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, RIM said it has decided to focus instead on LTE. “RIM has decided to prioritize and focus its 4G development resources on LTE,” RIM said in an emailed statement on Friday. “We remain excited and committed to delivering innovative and powerful 4G tablets to the US market together with our carrier partners. Testing of BlackBerry 4G PlayBook models is already underway and we plan to enter labs for network certifications in the US and other international markets this fall.”
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Well then that does not even qualify as half baked. The Touchpad is more like half baked. The Playbook is only a quarter done.
    And the thing is the BB fans with the exception of a few defend this. I had a conversation at BB with a Blackberry fan while i was trying out tablets. He went Back and Forth saying how the Playbook was the best because of flashand what not. I pointed out that the Touchpad and Galaxy Tab had both native apps as well as flash too work with and had both gotten major updates showing support from Hp and Google. He called me a little kid who didn't use tablets for real work.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    This is what I've been saying all along. Sprint can ill afford to adopt anything other than a guaranteed seller (Android). They can't pay for additional training, advertising and precious shelf space for an average to sub-par product. HP will have a hard time selling webOS to Sprint anytime soon unless the Pre3 just blows people away on AT&T. I'll actually commend Sprint for doing everything in their power to keep themselves above water. If Verizon was in the same financial shape as Sprint, they would have nose dived into the dead sea by now.
    The thing is, sprint is not above water and hasn't been for a while. Playing to the lowest common denominator isn't going to get them out of verizon's shadow... They need to take risks and try their luck with exclusives. That said, they need to play a bigger role in the development of these devices, if they want to use them as flagships.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    The thing is, sprint is not above water and hasn't been for a while. Playing to the lowest common denominator isn't going to get them out of verizon's shadow... They need to take risks and try their luck with exclusives. That said, they need to play a bigger role in the development of these devices, if they want to use them as flagships.
    Sprint will take anything. No one else would take the Samsung Conquer, Kyocera Echo, or Motorola XPRT.
    RoverNole likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Sprint will take anything. No one else would take the Samsung Conquer, Kyocera Echo, or Motorola XPRT.
    Heh, they won't take a chance on a more traditional, powerful smartphone like the Pre3, but they throw their marketing muscle behind a phone that everyone saw was a failure from a mile away (Echo? Come on Sprint...).
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Sprint will take anything. No one else would take the Samsung Conquer, Kyocera Echo, or Motorola XPRT.
    They will take anything android... But they have no way to differentiate themselves from the competition in a positive manner. They'll never get the best android phones, and people who want iPhones are already on att.

    It's hard to say they'll take anything when they seem to have cut ties with palm and are dropping support for the play book.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    They will take anything android... But they have no way to differentiate themselves from the competition in a positive manner. They'll never get the best android phones, and people who want iPhones are already on att.

    It's hard to say they'll take anything when they seem to have cut ties with palm and are dropping support for the play book.
    They only have two good android phones the evo and nexus s. the nexus is everywhere and the evo sequels are alittle meh.

    Android awesomeness is
    Tmobile
    Verizon
    att
    sprint


    Sprint needs the pre 3.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    people who want iPhones are already on att.
    But they don't necessarily want to be on AT&T. The real question is whether Apple wants Sprint...
  18. #18  
    If Sprint were to get the iPhone and maintain their current pricing structure they have today, I think the iPhone could single-handedly save them (in the short-to-mid-term).
  19. #19  
    and now we have shifted from the playbook to the iPhone... Really?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Sprint will take anything. No one else would take the Samsung Conquer, Kyocera Echo, or Motorola XPRT.
    Verizon took the Droid Pro. The XPRT is essentially a repackaged Droid Pro.
    Touchscreens are a fad.

Posting Permissions