Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    EA CEO: Consoles Now Only 40% of Games Industry - IndustryGamers

“We have a new hardware platform and we’re putting out software every 90 days. Our fastest growing platform is the iPad right now and that didn’t exist 18 months ago.”

Crazy to think that a tablet (iPad) is eating away at the console market share. It's even more telling that they specifically mention the iPad, and not the tablet market in general.
    I know right. Greatest board game device EVER!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    If that's your thing, sure is. Personally, I'm currently digging the following games:

•
    •
    •
    •
    •
    I just found this comment hilarious: “We have a new hardware platform and we’re putting out software every 90 days. Our fastest growing platform is the iPad right now and that didn’t exist 18 months ago.” since a large chuck of EA's iPad games are board games and dice games.

But really I don't think the iPad or tablets or phones are taking away from Consoles as some have tried to hype. It seems they are actually growing the video game market by taking away from physical board games. And if they're taking away from any of the current market significantly it's more likely the PC market, the portion that consisted a lot of the Flash game players.
  5.    #5  
    since a large chuck of EA's iPad games are board games and dice games.
    Have you actually ever browsed through EA's games on the app store? Here are some screenshots:

Screen Shot 2011-07-28 at 10.59.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-28 at 11.00.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-28 at 11.01.02 AM.png

101 games in total with a varying genre. Without actually counting, I'd say maybe 25% or less are board games.
    I think the iPad and iPhone are hurting handhelds more than consoles.

See: Nintendo slashing prices on the 3DS and cutting their profit forecast by 81%
    It's more of a new market. The device types can't be compared experience-wise. I'd never sack my console for a tablet, and I'll never play tablet games on my console ..
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Have you actually ever browsed through EA's games on the app store? Here are some screenshots:

Screen Shot 2011-07-28 at 10.59.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-28 at 11.00.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-28 at 11.01.02 AM.png

101 games in total with a varying genre. Without actually counting, I'd say maybe 25% or less are board games.
    ...a large chuck of EA's iPad games are board games and dice games.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think the iPad and iPhone are hurting handhelds more than consoles.

See: Nintendo slashing prices on the 3DS and cutting their profit forecast by 81%
    I'd agree with that somewhat because a lot of those time waster games that helped sell those to parents to occupy younger children can be handled on these other devices now. The price cut on the 3DS is honestly not surprising. The surprising part of the price on the 3DS was that it launched at the high price it did.
  9.    #9  
    Not sure why you gave an emphasis on iPad in your quote; those 101 games I took a screenshot of are all iPad-specific games made by EA. Unless you meant something else?
    Not sure why you gave an emphasis on iPad in your quote; those 101 games I took a screenshot of are all iPad-specific games made by EA. Unless you meant something else?
    Those were iPhone apps. Redo your sort for iPad apps and the list drops down to a third of that size. And a third of that list is board games.
    Dont care what anyone says, tablets will never be better than an xbox or playstation.
  12.    #12  
    Those were iPhone apps. Redo your sort for iPad apps and the list drops down to a third of that size. And a third of that list is board games.
    I stand corrected, I could have swore I clicked on iPad; I did in fact click on iPhone.

Screen Shot 2011-07-28 at 12.10.27 PM.png

34 iPad-specific games by EA of which roughly ~10 fall under the board game genre.

Having only 34 games on the iPad and making these sort of claims, compared to the hundreds EA has on console platforms makes it that much more impressive, IMO.

I don't think there's argument that console gaming is better for hard core gamers; touch driven devices only work with particular types of games. But to think that a device like the iPad has become a viable platform for gaming and has literally given birth to multi-million dollar gaming companies is nothing short of amazing.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Dont care what anyone says, tablets will never be better than an xbox or playstation.
    I guess that depends on who you're asking. To the hard core gamer like you (I assume?) and me, of course not. But to someone that would likely never own an XBox or PS3 but does own an iPad, it's already become a better gaming platform.
    I don't think there's argument that console gaming is better for hard core gamers; touch driven devices only work with particular types of games. But to think that a device like the iPad has become a viable platform for gaming and has literally given birth to multi-million dollar gaming companies is nothing short of amazing.
    Not really. If think about it it makes perfect sense. There were a LOT of people that would play Flash/JAVA web games on PCs to waste time. A lot of those time wasters are nicer on a touch screen as well. Add that to Jobs' business decision to push app-ification of the web and block out major web app technologies from running on his iDevices, it really isn't "amazing" so much as understandable.
  15.    #15  
    Not really. If think about it it makes perfect sense. There were a LOT of people that would play Flash/JAVA web games on PCs to waste time. A lot of those time wasters are nicer on a touch screen as well. Add that to Jobs' business decision to push app-ification of the web and block out major web app technologies from running on his iDevices, it really isn't "amazing" so much as understandable.
    When I see games like Infinity Blade, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Backbreaker Football, etc. I see its potential, as a platform, to be much more than just a “time killer.”
    I just bought a game called Groove Coaster and it's not just a time killer -- it's one of the best gaming experiences I've had all year.

You should try it, barkerja. It's even universal.
    this is ABOUT it really

any "real games" and the device is a clunky piece of junk.

wii is fixina figure this out with their new stupid lcd controllers.

nothing will replace a console with actual buttons and/or kinect type interface on a large TV
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    When I see games like Infinity Blade, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Backbreaker Football, etc. I see its potential, as a platform, to be much more than just a “time killer.”
    unresponsive controls

missed buttons while playing (touch screen)

awkward size and weight to hold

its a time killer for gaming and not much more.

its also because its "convenient"...you already own a cell phone so you "deal" with the inadequcies so you dont have to buy a psp or DS to do real gaming.

junky gaming > $250 handheld gaming machine....especially in this current economy where extras are harder to justify for people and even harder if they have a slew of kids
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    this is ABOUT it really

any "real games" and the device is a clunky piece of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    nothing will replace a console with actual buttons and/or kinect type interface on a large TV
    True. Controllers will always have their place with certain types of games, .

True. Controllers will always have their place with certain types of games, .
    by "clunky" i mean, if I pick up an iphone, or my pre2 and turn it landscape, and hold it comfortably and rest my thumbs on the screen, they end up in the MIDDLE of the screen. I have to curl my thumbs up uncomfortably to hit the buttons that are placed on the edge of the screen. and some times, i dont hit enough of the touch screen and the button isnt registered.

this is a "clunky" gaming experience.

touchscreens are GREAT for swiping games, but thats about it. see: angry birds, cut the rope

but lets face it, swiping games are more "pass the time"
    @agentmock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast