Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Honestly, these sound like the same arguments that people used to make about the Wii. "It needs more buttons, it's underpowered, nobody wants to waggle, all the games are minigame shovelware, etc."

It still expanded the market and ushered in more natural control schemes (as seen in Kinect and PS Move) and it made gaming more accessible to people who wouldn't otherwise play video games.

The hardcore gamers are always going to want their Shin Megami Tenseis and their Skyrims and they'll still have them. But the iPad becoming a legitimate gaming platform just means they'll get to play entirely new experiences too.
    barkerja likes this.
    I was a pretty hardcore gamer until i got out of college. I dont really have time for Halo any more, but i have plenty of time for robotek. Still i consider these mobile games time wasters. That said, i'm sure the game industry grew to include these mobilee experiences as opposed to consoles being cannablized.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    by "clunky" i mean, if I pick up an iphone, or my pre2 and turn it landscape, and hold it comfortably and rest my thumbs on the screen, they end up in the MIDDLE of the screen. I have to curl my thumbs up uncomfortably to hit the buttons that are placed on the edge of the screen. and some times, i dont hit enough of the touch screen and the button isnt registered.

this is a "clunky" gaming experience.

touchscreens are GREAT for swiping games, but thats about it. see: angry birds, cut the rope

but lets face it, swiping games are more "pass the time"
    Well the claim made by EA is about the iPad, not the iPhone.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    But the iPad becoming a legitimate gaming platform just means they'll get to play entirely new experiences too.
    Exactly! Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I was a pretty hardcore gamer until i got out of college. I dont really have time for Halo any more, but i have plenty of time for robotek. Still i consider these mobile games time wasters. That said, i'm sure the game industry grew to include these mobilee experiences as opposed to consoles being cannablized.
    I think that's the problem Nintendo is facing with the 3DS right now. When you only have so many hours and dollars you can spend on entertainment, it makes far more sense to buy a smartphone or a tablet.
    Honestly, these sound like the same arguments that people used to make about the Wii. "It needs more buttons, it's underpowered, nobody wants to waggle, all the games are minigame shovelware, etc."

It still expanded the market and ushered in more natural control schemes (as seen in Kinect and PS Move) and it made gaming more accessible to people who wouldn't otherwise play video games.

The hardcore gamers are always going to want their Shin Megami Tenseis and their Skyrims and they'll still have them. But the iPad becoming a legitimate gaming platform just means they'll get to play entirely new experiences too.
    yes, and poll people who have a wii.....most only use the wii sports that came with it or they dont use it altogether. theres 2 in my family, neither are played and probably havent been turned on in all of 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Well the claim made by EA is about the iPad, not the iPhone.
    same holds true....screen still goes almost to the edge of the device.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    this is ABOUT it really

any "real games" and the device is a clunky piece of junk.

wii is fixina figure this out with their new stupid lcd controllers.

nothing will replace a console with actual buttons and/or kinect type interface on a large TV
    I don't think the Wii U is going to have those issues with that LCD controller. I think they plan to use that as a secondary control similar to what they did with the DS.
    I think that's the problem Nintendo is facing with the 3DS right now. When you only have so many hours and dollars you can spend on entertainment, it makes far more sense to buy a smartphone or a tablet.
    exactly

and thats why they are taking any marketshare at all....its convenient and only costs $2 for a game app and not $250 for the device and $40 for a game
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    The problem Nintendo is having with the 3DS is they over shot an acceptable price point for the device. Pretty sure the announced price point for the Vita is the major driving force behind their price cut.
    I think the Vita is going to underperform too.

I like Uncharted but if I'm going to play it, I'd rather play it at home with higher visual and audio fidelity.
    This coupled with the fact that nintendo's hesitance towards the internet has finally come back to bite them. Mobile gaming now means i should be able to download from anywhere. Sony appeared to have understood this with the PSPGo, but forgot about the pricing aspect.
    I think the Vita is going to underperform too.

I like Uncharted but if I'm going to play it, I'd rather play it at home with higher visual and audio fidelity.
    Only good thing about the Vita is that it gave Nintendo the kick in the pants it deserved for that 3DS release price and lead them to lower that down to where it should have been.

As for viability, Sony should instead be trying to go the route they started with the Xperia Play. If you want to push a high spec mobile gamer, pulling in the added cellphone feature is probably the best way to do it.
    You know, I kind of understand where Nintendo was coming from. You'd think that glasses-free 3D would be one hell of a differentiating feature and that it would justify the price of the 3DS. I'm really surprised that people don't really seem to care about it. I always thought the 3DS would sell itself just by having strategically placed demo kiosks.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    eh, i think he means 40% of unit sales... which is fine... its more interesting how the revenue breaks down.
    Plus also consider PC's in addition to all the mobile devices..
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  15.    #35  
    You know, I kind of understand where Nintendo was coming from. You'd think that glasses-free 3D would be one hell of a differentiating feature and that it would justify the price of the 3DS. I'm really surprised that people don't really seem to care about it. I always thought the 3DS would sell itself just by having strategically placed demo kiosks.
    My cousin and I were discussing this the other day. He bought his little girl a 3DS the day it came out (she's a DS nut), but he said she stopped enjoying it not longer after she got it and went back to playing the DS.

He said that 3D wasn't that big of a deal (and actually a hindrance in some cases) and that it lacked many features of the DS.

I've never owned either platform so I can't personally give an opinion, but the idea of 3D in general doesn't appeal to me and not sure why it'd appeal to many others than maybe for its few "cool factors."
    They didn't include a couple of the preloaded applications that the DSi had. That might be the features she saw as lacking.

Though if she's using an original DS then it might be that she wants to play her GBA games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I don't think the Wii U is going to have those issues with that LCD controller. I think they plan to use that as a secondary control similar to what they did with the DS.
    they will because only player 1 gets the lcd controller
    @agentmock

Love my Wii. Still, play my PC a lot more. Check out my addiction:

Steam Community :: Syndil :: Games

Don't play flash games, don't play games on my phone, and don't have a tablet.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Love my Wii. Still, play my PC a lot more. Check out my addiction:

Steam Community :: Syndil :: Games

Don't play flash games, don't play games on my phone, and don't have a tablet.
    Clearly you should be trying to play Mirror's Edge on an iPhone/iPad....
    Mirror's Edge was an awesome game, but no, I am a super-diehard mouse/keyboard player. If I'm doing casual gaming, I might play the Wii, but otherwise... You can take my mouse and keyboard when you pry them from my cold, dead hands. Joysticks (and gamepads) are for kids.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast