Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  

HP needs to learn how to advertise to people's emotions like Apple does.
    nappy likes this.
    agreed. that's a really great ad.
    No matter how people feel about them - they are masters at marketing.
    I think Steve Jobs perfectly summed up the cause of Apple's success with this slide:

All I can say is WOW!!!
    What an Ad!

It makes me want to go out & get an iPad 2. Well done Apple, well done!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The narrator and script gives the sense that we're in the future and have replaced all need of paper and traditional methods of doing common tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    The narrator and script gives the sense that we're in the future and have replaced all need of paper and traditional methods of doing common tasks.
    We kind of have, haven't we?
    Bunch of saps.
    verwon, Rnp and sketch42 like this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Bunch of saps.
    Sap as in 'weak' people? Or do you mean something else?
    What i find interesting about the ad and many of there adds these days is the contrast between what they talk about and what HP talks about with webos (and webos users).

By that i mean if you look at this ad, it's still about the apps. It's the book app, the facetime app, the video editing app, the photo sharing app. It's highlighting all the specific sorts of things you can do with the apps on that device, "share memories", "get lost in a good book", "cook dinner", "cheer for your team" (watch videos). It's all about all the things you can do with an ipad 2.

Now contrast that with how HP sells the touchpad (and webos phones too), And contrast that with the things webos users tend to point to as selling points. It's all a user interface. That is, Multitasking, "you've got cards & you can flick it to close", "You've got synergy" "The keyboard changes size", "You can stack and group cards." With webos HP and users seem to sell user interface.

All those things i mentioned on webos are nice. But deep down i think it doesn't sell devices. Deep down i think there is only so many years you can keep saying, "but look at our user interface, see you can swipe." Deep down i think consumers are looking for an answer to "what can i do with it?" And to me that is a core distinction between how the devices are sold and why one has such consumer appeal and the other is fighting for a way distant second.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 07/25/2011 at 02:17 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    SmartFah, Furuboru and sinsin07 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Sap as in 'weak' people? Or do you mean something else?
    I think he was joking.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    What i find interesting about the add and many of there adds these days is the contrast between what they talk about and what HP talks about with webos (and webos users).

By that i mean if you look at this ad, it's still about the apps. It's the book app, the facetime app, the video editing app, the photo sharing app. It's highlighting all the specific sorts of things you can do with the apps on that device, "share memories", "get lost in a good book", "cook dinner", "cheer for your team" (watch videos). It's all about all the things you can do with an ipad 2.

Now contrast that with how HP sells the touchpad (and webos phones too), And contrast that with the things webos users tend to point to as selling points. It's all a user interface. That is, Multitasking, "you've got cards & you can flick it to close", "You've got synergy" "The keyboard changes size", "You can stack and group cards." With webos HP and users seem to sell user interface.

All those things i mentioned on webos are nice. But deep down i think it doesn't sell devices. Deep down i think there is only so many years you can keep saying, "but look at our user interface, see you can swipe." Deep down i think consumers are looking for an answer to "what can i do with it?" And to me that is a core distinction between how the devices are sold and why one has such consumer appeal and the other is fighting for a way distant second.
    Right. At this point, there's a certain lowest common denominator everyone expects from a touch screen device: you touch a hit target and something happens. It's just not a very interesting thing to think about, even though the people designing them spend thousands of hours thinking about it.

We want the fun stuff. We want to interact with old ideas in new ways. That's why I buy in to the whole "technology meets the liberal arts" idea.
    So exactly what service/app from the ones you listed is missing from the TP Snot?

If i were HP i would spoof this add instantly with a similar video ending with "We'll always do what others already do. Better."
    sinsin07 likes this.
    What i find interesting about the add and many of there adds these days is the contrast between what they talk about and what HP talks about with webos (and webos users).

I agree. Many people will try to argue, but it boils down to the apps. Without any apps, the device becomes useless. Fortunately for Apple, the iPad had many devs on board developing awesome apps from the start.

I remember seeing this article about the "iPad DJ".

The iPad DJ

The crazy thing is that apps like this were available within 2 weeks of the original iPads launch (Note: the article date 4/20/10, the iPad came out 4/3/10). Seeing powerful apps like this, where a DJ could scrap a laptop & use 2 iPads instead shows how much functionality a tablet gains when it has powerful apps.

As awesome as the TouchPad is, it's the Dev support that will make or break it. The TouchPad is capable of running the same caliber of apps as the iPad, it just needs devs to bring those apps to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by MihMih View Post
    So exactly what service/app from the ones you listed is missing from the TP Snot?

If i were HP i would spoof this add instantly with a similar video ending with "We'll always do what others already do. Better."
    I didn't say anything was missing. You're missing the point. I'm talking about how you sell your product to the consumer. Do you sell how you do things, flicking cards, or what things you can do, share photos.

Take the Russell Brand commerical it's all swiping. The tag line is "Flick, Stack and move between open apps seamlessly." Again, it's a different focus. IOS hasn't changed much so they already did the look at our U.I.with the iphone, so they tend to focus on it much more when there are changes. But now they focus a lot on the things you do now the U.I. it's a different approach to selling a product.

What's missing? Don't know. Don't really care. But does the Touchpad have a video editor? I honestly don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    The crazy thing is that apps like this were available within 2 weeks of the original iPads launch (Note: the article date 4/20/10, the iPad came out 4/3/10). Seeing powerful apps like this,
    There is some very sophisticated music software for some platforms. You rarely see that caliber of music stuff for touchpad, or anything not ipad for that matter. like something as detailed as this. Stuff like this synth controller is amazing

unrelated: i saw this. very cool. dude making music on his tablet

Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    The TouchPad is capable of running the same caliber of apps as the iPad, it just needs devs to bring those apps to webOS.
    totally
    I didn't say anything was missing. You're missing the point. I'm talking about how you sell your product to the consumer. Do you sell how you do things, flicking cards, or what things you can do, share photos.

Take the Russell Brand commerical it's all swiping. The tag line is "Flick, Stack and move between open apps seamlessly." Again, it's a different focus. IOS hasn't changed much so they already did the look at our U.I.with the iphone, so they tend to focus on it much more when there are changes. But now they focus a lot on the things you do now the U.I. it's a different approach to selling a product.

What's missing? Don't know. Don't really care. But does the Touchpad have a video editor? I honestly don't know.
    P.S. The video editing was the only thing missing from that iPad2 commercial.

And remember these for webos?

To answer "What can I do with this..."

And there were these as well...‪meetpre2's Channel‬‏ - YouTube
    ..It's the book app, the facetime app, the video editing app, the photo sharing app... "share memories", "get lost in a good book", "cook dinner", "cheer for your team" (watch videos). - Now contrast that with how HP sells the touchpad ... It's all a user interface. That is, Multitasking, "you've got cards & you can flick it to close", "You've got synergy" "The keyboard changes size", "You can stack and group cards." With webos HP and users seem to sell user interface. - All those things i mentioned on webos are nice. But deep down i think it doesn't sell devices.
    I agree with your post, however as the TouchPad ~doesn't have the apps right now, there is no way they could do such ads.

I disagree about 'it doesn't sell devices' because the 'it' (incl. also just type, good speakers, openess, clean Linux core, easy handling) is why I _much_ prefer a TouchPad over an iPad. People who don't own a TP may not know the significance of those areas and it's a good idea to tell them with ads.
    There is some very sophisticated music software for some platforms. You rarely see that caliber of music stuff for touchpad, or anything not ipad for that matter. like something as detailed as this. Stuff like this synth controller is amazing

unrelated: i saw this. very cool. dude making music on his tablet
    Those are some nice videos. It's apps like those that give the iPad that "Apple Cool" factor that HP wants to go after.
    Quote Originally Posted by seb9345 View Post
    I disagree about 'it doesn't sell devices' because the 'it' (incl. also just type, good speakers, openess, clean Linux core, easy handling) is why I _much_ prefer a TouchPad over an iPad. People who don't own a TP may not know the significance of those areas and it's a good idea to tell them with ads.
    II think there is a difference between selling to you and selling to the masses of average consumers that have no interest in even logging onto a site like precentral.I think there will always be exceptions. But i'm talking about most potential consumers int the world.

Nobody obviously has sales figures of Veers or touchpads. So my belief that that ad approach doesn't work is based on the fact that i've never seen a veer or a touchpad outside of a store. And i literally mean not a single one. I don't have a single friend that owns a webos device except me any more. I just don't see them. Also i'm Palm pretty much had a similar approach and it struggle to sell phones to. I guess my response would be if it really works to sell phones, why didn't they sell under palm? Why not now (from what i see around)? If it sells

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    P.S. The video editing was the only thing missing from that iPad2 commercial.

yep that's kinda the point. They have most of the same apps but the approach to selling the device is different with different companies.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    And remember these for webos?

To answer "What can I do with this..."

And there were these as well...‪meetpre2's Channel‬‏ - YouTube
    honestly, not really, The first is vaguely familiar. The second i've never seen. The first one i kinda recall being early on. Maybe even before the pre launched. Like a promo vid but not like a tv ad. Regardless, though that guys voice is boring as sin, it is closer to the idea i'm talking about. They are talking about all the things you can do in part of it.

The Pre 2 is basically nonexistent in the United States and there's no ads for it. The second one i've never seen.

Funny the Manny commerical is on right now. Yeah, I like manny. It's better then the scary Palm girl but not stunning. But after the scary girl anything is an improvement. I like the girl walking one. That was pretty good. Still fixated on swiping but i liked it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast