Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes
    Indeed, according to Nielsen, Apple has a 28% marketshare as of June, making them the top smartphone manufacturer. This is fairly impressive given they really only have one model as opposed to numerous devices being sold by competitors.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...-manufacturer/

I think the hardware is where it matters, as well. One has to only look at the myriad number of accessories available for the iPhone to see where the real money is...
    Number of Tuochpads sold compared to iPads?
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I haven't seen any figures on Touchpads as of yet. I'm thinking it might be at least another month before we get any sort of semi-solid idea.

...and it may not be as easy as tracking phone activations, etc... It's hard enough to track Android tablet share (which seems to be a little over 1.2 million vs Apple having sold 28 million iPads).
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    I think the hardware is where it matters, as well. One has to only look at the myriad number of accessories available for the iPhone to see where the real money is...
    That's a biggie. And what's even crazier, companies PAY Apple to make accessories that are iPhone/iPad/iPod compatible.

That's one reason AirPlay has yet to take off due to the cost to license the capability. I'll have to find the article, but I guess the chip that Apple uses for AirPlay devices is very costly to produce right now and looking for ways to reduce the cost.

I have been looking for some nice AirPlay-enabled speakers but the cheapest on the market is like $300, and I'm not willing to dish that out for just wireless capabilities.
  5.    #45  
    We'll likely see that at HP's next earnings call, which I believe is Aug 18.
    I haven't seen any figures on Touchpads as of yet. I'm thinking it might be at least another month before we get any sort of semi-solid idea.

...and it may not be as easy as tracking phone activations, etc... It's hard enough to track Android tablet share (which seems to be a little over 1.2 million vs Apple having sold 28 million iPads).
    I don't like the prices for Android tablets, compared to what you get in them. $800 for the Xoom? Insane!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    We'll likely see that at HP's next earnings call, which I believe is Aug 18.
    Okay, I no longer keep track of much, outside the Apple market.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I have been looking for some nice AirPlay-enabled speakers but the cheapest on the market is like $300, and I'm not willing to dish that out for just wireless capabilities.
    Yes, I know. I really like the idea of Airplay but the costs are too much to make it a reality in this household for the time being. I've thought about using an Airport Express to stream the music to an existing speaker system, though.
    I don't like the prices for Android tablets, compared to what you get in them. $800 for the Xoom? Insane!
    I was just reading an article the other day, too, that seemed to indicate the Xoom had one of the worst displays among Android tablets. I guess you don't always get what you pay for...
    I was just reading an article the other day, too, that seemed to indicate the Xoom had one of the worst displays among Android tablets. I guess you don't always get what you pay for...
    Yeah, I didn't like it, at all!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123