Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50
Like Tree8Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    HP needs to learn how to advertise to people's emotions like Apple does.
    It's a great ad for the iPad 2, yes. But hypothetically, say this was a Touchpad ad, would it work so well? I don't think so.

    Sure, Apple always sells the experience, but let's be fair to them here. The only reason this commercial is really effective is because each advertisement of theirs, starting with the iPhone and continuing with the iPad, has built on the foundation of the one before it. At the beginning, they had to show you how to use it.

    Only because of that buildup over time are they able to sell emotion now and have it work effectively.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It's a great ad for the iPad 2, yes. But hypothetically, say this was a Touchpad ad, would it work so well? I don't think so.

    Sure, Apple always sells the experience, but let's be fair to them here. The only reason this commercial is really effective is because each advertisement of theirs, starting with the iPhone and continuing with the iPad, has built on the foundation of the one before it. At the beginning, they had to show you how to use it.

    Only because of that buildup over time are they able to sell emotion now and have it work effectively.
    If the TouchPad gave you the same experience as the iPad? I think it would work.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by MihMih View Post
    So exactly what service/app from the ones you listed is missing from the TP Snot?

    If i were HP i would spoof this add instantly with a similar video ending with "We'll always do what others already do. Better."
    Ignoring for a minute that your tagline admits that HP is a follower rather than a leader (Apple), it's just a horrible idea.

    IBM tried this method of attack when they were pushing OS/2 against Windows NT and released their "Nice Try" adverts...
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by seb9345 View Post
    I disagree about 'it doesn't sell devices' because the 'it' (incl. also just type, good speakers, openess, clean Linux core, easy handling) is why I _much_ prefer a TouchPad over an iPad. People who don't own a TP may not know the significance of those areas and it's a good idea to tell them with ads.

    Umm, 95% of consumers (the 95% buying iPads) don't care about openness, a Linux core, etc... and they won't really care no matter how many times you tell them. Just like they don't care if the iPhone is doing true multitasking or not. They only care about email, viewing photos, shooting birds, etc...

    There is a very small subset of computer users that care about those things. This is the same 1% of people that might be interested in Linux... However, the majority of users don't care about Ubuntu and a lot of it has to do with apps (or lack of).

    Futhermore, even if the TP doesn't have the same number or level of sophistication as the apps for the iPad there's still plenty there for them to advertise, even if it's just the ones on the device from the start.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    It's better then the scary Palm girl but not stunning. But after the scary girl anything is an improvement. I like the girl walking one. That was pretty good. Still fixated on swiping but i liked it.
    ..and that said, the 'scary Palm girl" commercials are what made me notice and buy a Pre. I always liked those commercials. Though, I thought they were taking a stab at attracting the, stereotypical idea of, snobby Mac users.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Umm, 61% of consumers (the 61% still buying iPads) don't care about openness, a Linux core, etc... and they won't really care no matter how many times you tell them. Just like they don't care if the iPhone is doing true multitasking or not. They only care about email, viewing photos, shooting birds, etc...

    There is a very small subset of computer users that care about those things. This is the same 1% of people that might be interested in Linux... However, the majority of users don't care about Ubuntu and a lot of it has to do with apps (or lack of).

    Futhermore, even if the TP doesn't have the same number or level of sophistication as the apps for the iPad there's still plenty there for them to advertise, even if it's just the ones on the device from the start.
    There, fixed it for ya.

    Apple iPad tablet market share drops as Android soars | T3 magazine

    Android Tablets Eating Away Apple's Market Share | ITProPortal.com

  7. #27  
    That's a "cute" story if you want to believe it but those figures are based on units shipped, not actually on those sold and they come from a single source - Strategy Analytics. So you're talking about 'shipment share' (as if there were such a thing - I don't think any company would brag about the product left sitting, unsold on the shelf) and not the real world marketshare.

    Heck, by Google's own count, only 0.9%* of activated in-use Android devices are tablets... Larry page says that 135 million android devices are in use, so that gives us around 1.21 million tablets at most - as opposed to the 28.73M iPads sold. This entirely jives with Google's tracking of Android version releases in active use, as well - v3.0 and v3.1 account for a 0.9% share** and are the only versions semi-fit for tablet use.

    * Screen Sizes and Densities | Android Developers (xlarge is the tablet segment)

    ** Platform Versions | Android Developers

    There is no real 'tablet' market. There's an iPad market and everyone else is trying to get a cut.
  8.    #28  
    The iPad has nowhere to go but down in market share. It's not surprising that 20+ collective devices is eating away at the market share of a single device.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The iPad has nowhere to go but down in market share. It's not surprising that 20+ collective devices is eating away at the market share of a single device.
    I'm sure one day it will happen but that day has not yet arrived. Someone just wanted to twist the numbers to make a story.

    No tablets sold in great numbers prior to the arrival of the iPad (and makers were trying for years) and none have yet sold in great numbers since.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    I'm sure one day it will happen but that day has not yet arrived. Someone just wanted to twist the numbers to make a story.

    No tablets sold in great numbers prior to the arrival of the iPad (and makers were trying for years) and none have yet sold in great numbers since.
    I know, I know, you got me. And iPhone is the #1 smartphone in the US too. Oh wait...

    Hmm...iPad using same iterative strategy as iPhone which is a distant 2nd (+30% spread), nah, iPad will stay on top, I mean doing the same thing over and expecting a different result isn't insane or anything...
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I know, I know, you got me. And iPhone is the #1 smartphone in the US too. Oh wait...

    Hmm...iPad using same iterative strategy as iPhone which is a distant 2nd (+30% spread), nah, iPad will stay on top, I mean doing the same thing over and expecting a different result isn't insane or anything...
    You're under the mistaken assumption that the tablet market is anything remotely like the cell phone market - and it's not, at all. With the iPhone, Apple entered an existing industry, with the ipad they created the current market.

    I suppose, maybe if the network carriers got behind android tablets and really gave them a push like they did with Android in trying to compete with the iPhone they might get some traction there but they certainly had little to no success pushing netbooks... and I don't see ANY of the hardware manufacturers in a position to push their devices like Apple is doing.

    Out of all of them, HP seems the best bet on paper, imo... but I'm not certain the device is up to it currently.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    ..and that said, the 'scary Palm girl" commercials are what made me notice and buy a Pre. I always liked those commercials. Though, I thought they were taking a stab at attracting the, stereotypical idea of, snobby Mac users.
    lol did you just insult yourself and call yourself a snobby Mac user? lol.just kidding. Either way. Really? Honestly it think the by the third commerical they were lucky i already bought mine cause it didn't help. But i wanted one before i saw any commercial, used it in the store at launch, liked it, demoed it a few times and just bought it.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    You're under the mistaken assumption that the tablet market is anything remotely like the cell phone market - and it's not, at all. With the iPhone, Apple entered an existing industry, with the ipad they created the current market.
    i think this is a worthwhile distinction. Not to mention with phones you're kinda dependent on carriers. You need to be on a specific system to use the product which would naturally limit a phone makers reach for a given product. The biggest selling tablets though are wifi and don't need a carrier so i think that's one distinction.

    The big about entering an existing industry is interesting too. I think there is a fear that the "tablet" market is more like the mp3 market. In that there were mp3 players before but the ipod so raised the bar that nobody else really could catch up. It's possible the tablet market may end up like that. not saying it is now. But that most people decide they only want an ipad not at "tablet" just like people tend to want an ipod not just any old mp3 player, no matter how many zunes get made.

    But nothing is settled now. But i agree i don't think all these markets are the same.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 07/26/2011 at 03:24 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    You're under the mistaken assumption that the tablet market is anything remotely like the cell phone market - and it's not, at all. With the iPhone, Apple entered an existing industry, with the ipad they created the current market.
    Not to mention, that for the longest time, the iPhone was only available on a single carrier in the U.S. against the monolithic Android that was available on all U.S. carriers.

    When you put things into perspective, the light becomes a bit brighter over in Apple-land.

    According to the latest numbers, with the Verizon iPhone available, the iPhone is rising in market share in the U.S. What will be particularly interesting is when the iPhone becomes carrier ubiquitous in the U.S.

    That is one major distinction between the tablet market and the phone market: carriers. The iPad is available to anyone and everyone that wants one, despite their choice of carrier.
  15. #35  
    [QUOTE=SnotBoogie;3043918]lol did you just insult yourself and call yourself a snobby Mac user? lol.just kidding.

    I probably did... If not for WebOS and the Pre I would most certainly have purchased an iPhone and it's only because of WebOS that I'm more interested in the TP than an iPad. The alternatives just don't seem compelling to me.

    I'm buying a new desktop computer in early September (new Mac mini w/i7) and then around mid-October will be making my final decision on a tablet. I'm hoping HP has all it's ducks in order by then, including document editing.
  16. #36  


    this is a pretty good commercial..
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post


    this is a pretty good commercial..
    That's not a commercial, it's a ‘teaser’ for hardware aficionados! Not once is webOS even shown.
  18. #38  
    Yeah, the best ads show the device in use. Otherwise it's just tech ****.
  19. #39  
    I'll just say that the iPad 2 is one smooth and fast device. And, since they've opened up more with iOS 4, I've yet to find an app that doesn't work for multitasking.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I know, I know, you got me. And iPhone is the #1 smartphone in the US too. Oh wait...

    Hmm...iPad using same iterative strategy as iPhone which is a distant 2nd (+30% spread), nah, iPad will stay on top, I mean doing the same thing over and expecting a different result isn't insane or anything...
    Honestly, would everyone stop trying to use innumeracy to say that Android is the number one "phone"? Android is an operating system. Please compare it to iOS, if you want, but not to the iPhone. How about some numbers comparing actual EVO's or Nexus in use, compared to the iPhone? That's a real comparison.

    There is not a single Android device of ANY kind that is even remotely close to the user numbers of iOS. Look globally and it just gets worse, or better... depending on how you view it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions