Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By redmist
  • 2 Post By speedtouch
  1.    #1  
    I am like a gitty kid on Christmas now that I have the touchpad in my hands and I am back on webOS, however after a full week and a half I am finding myself missing a few things about my acer iconia tab(wife owns it now, so its still in the household)
    I was a launch day Pre- guy and was fully involved in the webOS movement, I even talked 7 others into getting the pre-,I loved the preware and the forum community like nothing else. The day did happen when I needed to move on from my pre- because the lack of good business apps and the fact that the hardware was just getting to out of date for my employer to deal with so I then became the proud owner of an Evo 4g and boy was I amazed by the speed, the apps, and the hardware specs of the phone. This thing was a beast when I compared it to my pre. As good as the Evo is I have always had a soft spot for webOS. I did find a forum replacment with android central so that has kept me busy, then I see this amazing thing called the HP Touchpad touting webOS.... I was super stoked but after waiting what seemed to be years for this thing to launch I picked up the acer, which is truly a solid machine!
    The TP is amazing on so many levels but there are just a few thing that I really miss about Android.
    1)The lack of an avi player or an app to do the job, I am a huge torrent nerd and on my acer I could download them right to my tablet and watch them at my lesure.. Now I have to download them on my pc, convert them to mp4, then transfer them to my TP via usb. Huge downside in my opinion!
    2)The ability to share things via the TP is also starting to bother me a bit. HP talks about synergy up and down, so when I hit the share button on a website or on a news story in an app or even a youtube video my only option to email it. On Android when I hit share I would have 15 things pop up in ways to share, whether it be any amount of messaging apps or twitter or facebook, to me this makes sense...
    3)My biggest fear with the TP is the unfulfilled promises and poor communication. This was always an issue with palm weither it be ota update timelines, lack of flash on the pre- and now even the document editing on the TP. There is a lot of fragmentation on Android but when I heard an update was coming either for my Evo or the Acer it happened just like you would expect.. On the day they told me!
    Sorry about being so long winded but just wanted to share a few things seeing how I went from launch day webOS to Andriod and back again... Let the TP ride begin, hopefully to the top this time and not a step back like it ended up with the pre-(which I still do have and really want to activate it to see how it works with the TP..heh) Anyway go HP! Lets see that hard launch!
    Last edited by pdog197804; 07/23/2011 at 12:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I picked up a Galaxy Tab, yesterday, mainly because I need to decide whether to send my TP back to Amazon, soon (a choice that will be primarily determined by whether QO editing and HTTP proxy will be supported by month-end). I thought it'd be nice to see the two next to one another.

Short form: In less than 24 hours, I'm almost certain the Galaxy Tab is going back this weekend. It actually has the two big features I mentioned, but it has enough that compares unfavorably to the TP that I know I'd be as frustrated as I am with my Epic. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to post my full comparison later today.
    Is there a 3rd party media player in development?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    there's a new one in the catalog, seems to be good:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    what I miss is having a back button always in the same place. On the Pre it was always a swipe to the left. But on the touchpad its a button, somewhere on the screen, left to the developer.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    cshrader and Sapient2k7 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    what I miss is having a back button always in the same place. On the Pre it was always a swipe to the left. But on the touchpad its a button, somewhere on the screen, left to the developer.
    Boy, that's the truth. With the TP you never know where it's going to end up.
    cshrader and sorli like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Boy, that's the truth. With the TP you never know where it's going to end up.
    Yeh. Tricky Buisness.. x.x
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    there's a new one in the catalog, seems to be good:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html
    It also streams xvid or divx or avi from your PC to your Touchpad without needing to convert anything. You have the option to convert on your PC, and it will be best quality, but it's not necessary. I was watching Ironclad on my touchpad from my PC while at work and it worked flawless.