Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
Like Tree41Likes
  1.    #1  
    In reading about the recent release of a beta version of Kindle on the TP, I couldn't help but be reminded of another recent technological breakthrough I read about not long ago: Iran's plan to send a monkey into space. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad WebOS is finally getting Kindle. It's a must-have app if they hope to compete in the tablet arena. However, iOS users have been enjoying Kindle for quite some time now...since 2009 I think. Over 2 years later WebOS is just now getting it...in beta form at that. And it's just ONE of several apps the TP really needs in order to even hope of a competing with the iPad. The release of a Kindle app is a very good thing for the TP, but it's also a reminder of how far ahead the iPad is.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/19/2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: title updated
    kkhanmd likes this.
  2. #2  
    True...so true. Was using one of my client's iPad 2 last week and was surprisingly impressed with the speed of the OS and Airplay integration with their Apple TV. Obviously, I have to frame this thumbs up with the notion that IOS only does one thing at a time (okay maybe two or three things), so it doesn't need much to look impressive. Airplay on the other hand was very interesting and just what HP needs to extend the TP and webOS to larger screens now and in the future.

    I'm also hopeful that the Kindle app is just a beginning when it comes to software innovation on the webOS. Netflix, HULU Plus, HBO to Go, and whatever people think they need should be provided. I love the Kindle app, find it very usable even in its beta state, and I'm looking forward to new features like in app purchases for Books and Magazines hopefully soon. Always the eternal optimist! Sorli...
  3. #3  
    The Touchpad is only 3 weeks old and it has Kindle. The Touchpad is not 2 years old. WebOS is two years old. Love how you <<mod delete>> intertwined the two. The Touchpad is also the first webOS device with a screen large enough to view the text on Kindle books. Can you imagine reading a book on a Pre, Pre2, Pixi, or Veer? Good luck with that.

    When is the iPad going to get flash and better multi-tasking tasking? A two year old netbook and a 3 week old Touchpad have that. IPad not as far ahead as you think. It's still an expensive toy with limited use.

    If the Touchpad had to be a country it would be Canada. A lot of people, especially here in the United States make fun of Canadians, even though we love them. However, they have more oil, better health care, a stable economy, and are just happier to be alive.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/19/2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: unnecessary
  4. LinT's Avatar
    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #4  
    Yup... I've been waiting 2 years now for a kindle app on my TouchPad...oh..wait... I mean 2 weeks. That doesnt sound so bad when you say it correctly.
  5. #5  
    <<mod delete>>

    I don't get these posts.

    Is that there is now a Kindle App and there are need for more apps? Or is it that the iPad 2 has been out longer (and the iPad has been out for years?)

    What is the purpose of this thread?
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/19/2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: unnecessary
  6. #6  
    Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion as long as it is expressed in a way that is within forum guidelines.

    Stop with the responses containing personal comments, please.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    If the Touchpad had to be a country it would be Canada. A lot of people, especially here in the United States make fun of Canadians, even though we love them. However, they have more oil, better health care, a stable economy, and are just happier to be alive.
    as a fellow american, i love the analogy ...i've been to canada both for work and pleasure and would love to come back sometime soon!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by toy4x4 View Post
    <<mod delete>>

    I don't get these posts.

    Is that there is now a Kindle App and there are need for more apps? Or is it that the iPad 2 has been out longer (and the iPad has been out for years?)

    What is the purpose of this thread?
    Well, I get this posts. TP is few weeks old, webOS isn't.
    Thing is, apps gap can be filled relatively fast when software and hardware fits together. TP is maybe first webOS device that can bring webOS to that goal. I'm really hoping HP will manage software problems and fit webOS nicely on tablets. Apps will come then.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    ... The release of a Kindle app is a very good thing for the TP, but it's also a reminder of how far ahead the iPad is.
    So, your bottom line appears to be that the iPad, which has been out for 2+ years, is far ahead of the TouchPad that has been out for 2+ weeks...

    And you felt that release of an app required a thread pointing it out...

    OK
    Last edited by hparsons; 07/19/2011 at 11:57 AM.
    C-Note, RafRol and JayhawkOne like this.
  10. #10  
    yeah, I think not just Touchpad, HP itself is Iran. Apple had iPad in 2009 and HP is getting it now...
  11. #11  
    Sure the TouchPad is only three weeks old, but webOS is over two years old and has never had a mainstain for business users....a Word, Excel, PPT editor. I really, really want HP to do well, but you need to have leading apps for specific fields......Office editing (business users), Netflix / Kindle (entertainment), epocrates (medical), etc. These are basic apps that should be available on both tablets and phones. We need app development not just for the Touchpad, but phones as well. My pre app catalog seems to have been stuck for 3 months now at around 5700 available apps.
  12. #12  
    As long as the monkey comes back alive from space and is not trained to push a button while flying over the USA, Iran can have a space program to advance their culture and technology, at their pace, as long as it is 100% their technology.


    WebOS is not copying Android, is not copying QNX, is not copying iOS. It will grow at its own speed and there is nothing to keep it from growing. Can you get the Kindle app on QNX's Playbook? How many books can you read on it? How long has the Playbook been on the market?
    hparsons likes this.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    True...so true. Was using one of my client's iPad 2 last week and was surprisingly impressed with the speed of the OS and Airplay integration with their Apple TV. Obviously, I have to frame this thumbs up with the notion that IOS only does one thing at a time (okay maybe two or three things), so it doesn't need much to look impressive. Airplay on the other hand was very interesting and just what HP needs to extend the TP and webOS to larger screens now and in the future.
    sonos > airplay
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  14. bnceo's Avatar
    Posts
    533 Posts
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    In reading about the recent release of a beta version of Kindle on the TP, I couldn't help but be reminded of another recent technological breakthrough I read about not long ago: Iran's plan to send a monkey into space. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad WebOS is finally getting Kindle. It's a must-have app if they hope to compete in the tablet arena. However, iOS users have been enjoying Kindle for quite some time now...since 2009 I think. Over 2 years later WebOS is just now getting it...in beta form at that. And it's just ONE of several apps the TP really needs in order to even hope of a competing with the iPad. The release of a Kindle app is a very good thing for the TP, but it's also a reminder of how far ahead the iPad is.
    What a horrible comparison. Love the seriousness you take the tablet world that you compare it with Iran.
    Devices
    -Sprint Pre & FrankenPre 2
    -AT&T Pre3 4G
    Accessories
    -5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
  15. #15  
    Better Iran than Zimbabwe.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by SunRise View Post
    yeah, I think not just Touchpad, HP itself is Iran. Apple had iPad in 2009 and HP is getting it now...
    HP had their TouchSmart tablet in 2008. What's your point? That Apple went from a phone to a tablet while HP went from a larger tablet to a smaller tablet?
  17. #17  
    It same conversation people had when pre minus was released and told not to compare to Iphone 3GS because iOS had few years under the belt. 2 years later, pre phone is no where even close to where Iphone was 2 years after its launch. I bet you after 2 years TP wont be anywhere close to the current sales number of IP-2. We dont live in 2 year old world, we live in present and compare present products, thats why Samsung went back to the drawing board and redid the Samsung Tab.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  18. cawhalen's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #18  
    Once again, another post comparing the relatively young HP Touchpad to Apple ipad. Let's review this a year from now when it is relevant. In the mean time, I'd rather continue to be enlightened with the exponential growth of the Touchpad. I suggest the orignal post creater return his Touchpad and buy the ipad if he/she beleives it is that much superior. Or if they already own an ipad and have no interest in a Touchpad, move on.

    These arguments/debates over Touchpad/ipad are fruitless. As a consumer, we purchase what suits and interests us, regardless of the qualities of the other option. I own a Nissan Maxima. Although I have friends who own Corvettes and BMWs, those do not suit me. I don't spend my time belittling my Maxima or my friend's Smartcar because it does not go zero to sixty in some useless amount of time that a Corvette does.

    For me, I never thought I would have an interest in a Kindle... that is until I was actually able to use it last night when the Beta was released. This addition continues to add to what I beleive is a great tablet / webOS experience with the Touchpad. I don't care whether or not the ipad had this years ago. I've never wanted an ipad so it didn't suit me.
    k4ever, hparsons and RafRol like this.
  19.    #19  
    I suppose my question was worded improperly and should have been asking if WebOS is the Iran. Yes, we are all well aware that the Touchpad isn't as old as the iPad. The iPad is a whopping 14ish months older. But WebOS has been around since 2009. The fact that a very limited number of WebOS devices now have access to a beta version of the Kindle app merely highlights the wide chasm between WebOS and iOS/Android. I'm not criticizing WebOS/Touchpad/HP/Palm. The situation is what it is. It's an ongoing and monumental uphill climb for HP to generate strong developer interest in WebOS. No doubt, the launch of the TP has helped, but there's still lots that it needs. Kindle was just one glaring omission. There's no doubt in my mind that WebOS is the best smartphone platform around (and this is where the Iran analogy would break down) but it still needs A LOT of developer support. Unfortunately, Apple keeps pushing things forward, so any incremental gains WebOS makes are negated. They are in a tough spot.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    It same conversation people had when pre minus was released and told not to compare to Iphone 3GS because iOS had few years under the belt. 2 years later, pre phone is no where even close to where Iphone was 2 years after its launch. I bet you after 2 years TP wont be anywhere close to the current sales number of IP-2. We dont live in 2 year old world, we live in present and compare present products, thats why Samsung went back to the drawing board and redid the Samsung Tab.
    Exactly. On the one hand, some people want to talk about WebOS competing against iOS and how it's a better OS. But when you bring up something like this, those sampe people will tell you that it's unfair to compare the two. WebOS has had 2 full years to develop and mature. While it has made some progress, it's still lagging in many areas. I was one of the many who were hopeful that when HP threw their clout behind WebOS developers would be quick to jump on board, but that hasn't been the case (Epocrates for instance). They've made SOME gains, but not what we had hoped.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions