Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 174
Like Tree82Likes
  1. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
       #1  
    For anybody who is thinking about switching…let this be fair warning. It will be painful.

    I've been using webOS phones ever since the Palm Pre came out and picked up a TouchPad on launch day. Long story short is that I returned the TouchPad and got an iPad 2 3G. I really liked the TB, but without Webex, 3G, GPS and VGA it out it really wasn't a practical choice for me at the moment. I'm sure I'll be back though. My kids are already fighting over who will get the iPad hand-me-down:-)

    Anyway, I've had the iPad for a couple of days and already miss a number of things. Most of all I am amazed at how bad certain things are the iPad. I'm a total Mac guy and to me webOS is 10x more Mac-like than iOS.

    Virtual keyboard -- this one blows me away -- night and day differences. The iPad virtual keyboard is an absolute mess. Not only do you have to switch the key lay-out every time you go from alpa to numbers, but the keys lay-outs change between different applications. The TouchPad keyboard is an absolute pleasure to use. 100% intuitive.

    Multi-tasking -- everybody talks about this one, but I even loaded up the new Multitasking Gestures (via xCode) that will star in IOS 5. They still suck big time. You can swap between apps with a 4 finger horizontal flick, but you don't get the card thumbnail view to help you navigate. You can also do a 4 finger swipe from the bottom to get a list of the "running icons." I only use this for shutting down running apps. Finally, you can switch from an app to the home screen with a 4 finger pinch.

    This last one is the only that is half useful. iOS running app switching is so convoluted that I simple go to the home screen to return to a running app. The other thing that will drive you crazy is that there is no easy way to quit an app when you are done. I just have to make sure that I regularly go through and delete stuff that I am no longer using. I was hoping that Apple would have come up with at least some gesture for that.

    Cards -- I really miss the cards -- and not just for multitasking. With an iOS app you can only have one "document" open at a time. So, if you want to do to a web site you first have to switch to Safari. Then you have to open thumbnails of pages and click the one you want. Same thing with viewing pdf files, email, etc. I love that all documents in webOS are cards and you can have as many as you want and even stack related cards as you see fit.

    Conclusion

    If some of those reviewers would use the TouchPad for a week straight and return to the iPad before writing a review the results would be very different.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  2. #2  
    I use an ipad for work. I can easily go get it in my office and use it here in the living room....but doing so does nothing for me.

    Id much rather pick up my pre2 before going to get the ipad.

    not to mention 150,000+ apps on the ipad and only 20 of them are worth anything and it takes eons to sort through all the crap to find anything useful. I once flicked through it for over an hour and gave up not finding a single app worth using.
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    anthony81586 likes this.
  3. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #3  
    I have both the iPad2 and the TP and the TP is way more fun to interact with, but far less useful. It's a linux machine with no ssh application for pity sake. I can't view excel charts or edit word or Powerpoint...and the battery life is far worse than the iPad2.

    I still like my TP better, but I sort of wish I'd left it at home and brought the ipad for my current trip around asia. I find I need to whip out my laptop far more with only the TP in tow.

    I hope HP can fix the instabilities and that someone will write an ssh app soon...
  4. #4  
    Very interesting perspective on the whole TouchPad and iPad comparisons. Thanks for sharing everyone.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I have both the iPad2 and the TP and the TP is way more fun to interact with, but far less useful. It's a linux machine with no ssh application for pity sake. I can't view excel charts or edit word or Powerpoint...and the battery life is far worse than the iPad2.

    I still like my TP better, but I sort of wish I'd left it at home and brought the ipad for my current trip around asia. I find I need to whip out my laptop far more with only the TP in tow.

    I hope HP can fix the instabilities and that someone will write an ssh app soon...
    Mize,

    I admit up front that I don't use SSH but I do remember seeing an SSH app in Preware. Yes, I'm looking at OpenSSH in there now. Hope that helps. I thank God I'm on vacation because I would be throwing a fit about not having native document editiing on my Touchpad. It's suppose to be in the update that will be out before I return. I'm crossing my fingers now. You can use Google Docs to handle your document editing needs. I've used it and it works fine but I don't like it compared to native editing.
    cycling56 and Rnp like this.
  6. #6  
    so is the OP going to return the iPad?
    65fastback and Rnp like this.
  7. #7  
    I currently own an iPad 2 (multi gestures enabled) and a TP. For me it starts and ends with the User Experience aspect. I will admit the iPad is very smooth, fast, and has apps to solve almost any problem you get into. my only issue is it's not enjoyable to interact with. I also think Synergy is the best thing to ever come out of an operating system. I still use both tablets depending on what I need to do for the day, but webOS on the big screen just puts a smile on my face. I also added Preware and Glass Effect Suite on the TP looks like the bomb!
    Rnp, jpenico and retroblu like this.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I just have to make sure that I regularly go through and delete stuff that I am no longer using.
    Why?
  9. #9  
    miata,

    I know your pain. I bought an iPod Touch which at the time was an iPhone without the cellular radio. I thought that if I like using the iPod Touch more than I liked using my Pre, I would think about replacing the Pre with an iPhone. I loved the glass screen on the iPod and how thin it was compared to my Pre. The screen on the iPod made playing games a little more enjoyable. I know the iPhone was a little thicker but not by much and it was still thinner than the Pre. I missed the slide out keyboard from the Pre but I had so much respect for accuracy and ease of use of the iPod's on screen keyboard. I loved the way the music app looks on the iPod. I loved having more apps available. I loved the build quality of the iPod.

    With all the pluses I just listed for the iPod Touch which were essentially the same as for the iPhone you would have thought that I would have replaced my Pre with an iPhone. Didn't happen. Lets just say that the experience was not like the reviewers said it would be. Although the iPod/iPhone had a lot of apps, I did not want or need any of them. I essentially downloaded the same apps that I had on my Pre with the exception of Bad Company 2, which was not available for the Pre. My biggest grip was the user interface. Holding the home button, waiting for the little tray to pop up, and then scrolling through a bunch of icons just to switch to another running app was painful. I didn't understand why other iPod/iPhone users put up with that. Why even have multi-tasking if you have to go through this? It got to the point that I just gave up, hit the home button once, found the app icon in the launcher and press it to go back, which was essentially the way the iPod/iPhone worked without multi-tasking. In webOS you just pressed the center button and scrolled to your app running in a card like window. Almost like on your computer. When you are done with an app you toss it off the screen which is a lot more fun than closing an app on the iPod/iPhone. The notifications were the next pain. You get a pop-up notification right in the middle of the screen while you are in the middle of doing something. You had to stop what you were doing to dismiss it. I can't remember but I think that it didn't even switch to the app once you press the notification (I could be wrong, I haven't used it in a while). In webOS notifications appear on the bottom of the screen for the Pre and on the top of the screen for the Touchpad. They are out of the way and you can ignore them if you want. You can also scroll through multiple notification and dismiss each one at your leisure. If you press on the notification in webOS the application associated with that notification opens up. Pure genius. I also hated how non-Apple apps would be essentially paused if I had to switch to another app. If I wanted to listen to a song on Youtube, the video would pause while I switched to another app instead of run in the background. In webOS only certain apps like games will pause in their card while you switch to another app. Everything else will still run in real time while you switch to another app. So in webOS your Youtube video will still play while you are in another app. I also hated how I had to dig through menus on the iPod/iPhone to turn on/off bluetooth, wifi, etc. In webOS I just press the digital clock in the upper right corner of the screen and a drop down menu would appear allowing me to handle all of those task on the fly without digging through multiple menus. I could not sync all my accounts on the iPod/iPhone. The calendar and email apps were limited. I had to jailbreak the iPod to add additional features that I took for granted on webOS. I found myself reaching for my Pre more and more. Even to play games, so I abandoned the idea of getting an iPhone.

    I used my iPod/iPhone experience as an example because the iPad is essentially a bigger version of the iPod. I hoped that Apple would add some additional usability features to the bigger screen but they just concentrated on making the apps fit the extra real estate. Usability on the iPad is essentially the same as the iPod. What a shame. For such a popular device with so many apps it is such a pain to use. That is unless you are focusing on doing one task at a time. The addition of Flash on the Touchpad was the final nail in the iPad's coffin for me. At least you can view the real internet on the Touchpad's ten inch screen.

    I get into some heated arguments with iPad users on these forums because I feel that the iPad doesn't offer anything useful to me, other than being pretty. It is way too expensive not to offer me a compelling reason to replace my laptop or even a netbook. Each offer more features. WebOS is the selling point for the Touchpad. It can handle my workload just like my laptop.
    Last edited by k4ever; 07/18/2011 at 10:28 PM.
  10. libray's Avatar
    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #10  
    I felt the same way about iPad vs TP. The TP and Playbook are neck and neck in everything you stated so I went with the Playbook.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    For me it starts and ends with the User Experience aspect. I will admit the iPad is very smooth, fast, and has apps to solve almost any problem you get into. my only issue is it's not enjoyable to interact with.
    Well I guess I could have summed up my long post to say the same thing. The user experience on the iPad is not enjoyable and facing competition from the Touchpad this needs to change.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    I felt the same way about iPad vs TP. The TP and Playbook are neck and neck in everything you stated so I went with the Playbook.
    Was the smaller screen the deciding factor? I like the portability of the Playbook. Would have loved to have the Opal sooner. In the end I decided to get my feet wet with webOS on the larger screen. Definitely would have loved webOS on the 7 inch screen!
  13. libray's Avatar
    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Was the smaller screen the deciding factor? I like the portability of the Playbook. Would have loved to have the Opal sooner. In the end I decided to get my feet wet with webOS on the larger screen. Definitely would have loved webOS on the 7 inch screen!
    That was a useability point for me. I always use the PB in landscape mode whether holding or on a desk. Since the screen is squished sooner, there are some helpful "next field" enter modes. The 10 inch form factor (for me) lends to holding in portrait and switching to landscape when it's on a desk. Also, I noticed my colleagues adding cases and keyboards to their iPads such that they may as well use a full netbook.

    If a Touchpad were made in a 7 inch form factor I would buy it in a second. I thought that iOS 5 was going to be something to check out but after the points brought up, I doubt it. WebOS has the best UI and RIM recognized this when they decided to introduce TabletOS instead of going with their bread and butter BBOS. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right?
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    I felt the same way about iPad vs TP. The TP and Playbook are neck and neck in everything you stated so I went with the Playbook.
    if the Playbook amd TouchPad are neck and neck, I guess this article would make TouchPad the winner...

    RIM May Discontinue PlayBook
    65fastback, hparsons and libray like this.
  15. libray's Avatar
    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if the Playbook amd TouchPad are neck and neck, I guess this article would make TouchPad the winner...

    RIM May Discontinue PlayBook
    I was commenting on each point the OP made about usability. There are other things which may sway a WebOS user to the PB or Vice Versa.

    However from your article:

    "UPDATE: RIM denies the report. Here's the company's statement:

    Rumors suggesting that the WiFi version of the BlackBerry PlayBook is being discontinued are pure fiction. Over the past month, the PlayBook has launched in 16 additional markets around the world and further rollouts are planned for Southeast Asia, Western Europe and the Middle East in the coming weeks."

    Guess RIM are copying "in the coming weeks" too.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    That was a useability point for me. I always use the PB in landscape mode whether holding or on a desk. Since the screen is squished sooner, there are some helpful "next field" enter modes. The 10 inch form factor (for me) lends to holding in portrait and switching to landscape when it's on a desk. Also, I noticed my colleagues adding cases and keyboards to their iPads such that they may as well use a full netbook.

    If a Touchpad were made in a 7 inch form factor I would buy it in a second. I thought that iOS 5 was going to be something to check out but after the points brought up, I doubt it. WebOS has the best UI and RIM recognized this when they decided to introduce TabletOS instead of going with their bread and butter BBOS. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right?
    I thought HP would release the 7 inch Opal before the 10 inch Touchpad but I think after the Playbook got reamed for being smaller than the iPad, HP decided to release the larger one first. RIM also did not help by charging the same price for a smaller device. With all the BS over the Touchpad's weight and thickness, a smaller screen would have added too much fuel to an already ridiculous fire.

    I'm waiting to test drive the Opal. If the user experience is the same as the Touchpad (minus the bugs) and the price is lower, I will give the 10 inch Touchpad to the wife and buy the 7 inch Opal for myself.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    so is the OP going to return the iPad?
    Miata,

    Just to stay on subject are you returning your iPad?

    Edit: I apologize. Your original post states that you will hand it over to one of your kids, so the question is are you going to buy another Touchpad? Perhaps after the OTA update?
  18. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #18  
    the Openssh on preware is a linux app that requires an attached computer. I need a ssh client app that runs in webOS.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    the Openssh on preware is a linux app that requires an attached computer. I need a ssh client app that runs in webOS.
    Bummer
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    This last one is the only that is half useful. iOS running app switching is so convoluted that I simple go to the home screen to return to a running app. The other thing that will drive you crazy is that there is no easy way to quit an app when you are done. I just have to make sure that I regularly go through and delete stuff that I am no longer using. I was hoping that Apple would have come up with at least some gesture for that.
    There's no reason to spend time to go through and "close" apps, as most apps are already closed when they're not active - maybe knowing this would eliminate one of your frustrations with the iPad. I am blown away by how many iOS users spend time doing this, despite Apple designing it specifically so that they wouldn't have to.

    TiPb Answers: No, you don’t need to kill all the apps in your multitasking dock | TiPb
    Palm IIIx > Palm m505 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Centro > Pre- & Touchpad
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions