Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
Like Tree82Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Of course, if you jailbreak, you're exposed. But as the post even explains, it's nearly impossible without having physical access to the device (even when it's jailbroken) due to the likeliness of it being (nearly) impossible to automate the whole process to retrieve one's keychain.

In any case, security isn't an issue on iOS, if it was we'd know and hear a lot more about. iOS could be considered the equivalent to Windows, as it's a highly adopted platform that makes it a likely target for exploits.
    That's not true (well, he talks about the PDF thingy, but any Jailbreak method that doesn't require physical access will work the same):

As anyone who has used jailbreak.me knows, jailbreaking does not require physical access to the device. Theoretically it should be trivial to modify the jailbreak.me code and have it automate the following:
    1. Perform the jailbreak as normal (all this requires is for the user open a maliciously crafted PDF)
    2. Run Fraunhofer's scripts after the jailbreak is complete
    3. Send the passwords over the network to a location the attacker can read it from

It's all about running a script, and send the results of the script. Trivial, with the knowledge.

But the real issue is that the OS itself provides the necessary tools to decrypt the keychain. I don't know you, but I would call it a security concern.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    There are products that detect jailbreaks like Good. There are products to lock down the devices, like
    Boxtone , Airwatch, etc.. These are enterprise solutions that manage multiple os, except Webos. For that the it looks like
    MobileIron

Boxtone, Airwatch, Good, these are real world products being used now.

Your jailbreaking example does not show how webos is more secure. All it shows is that IOS is in the public eye.
    The existence of these kind of tools just demonstrate that there is a real security breach with Jailbreaking.

You can't deny the problem, and later show me solutions for the problem you're denying. HP has provided it own solution on webOS, by securing developer mode access.

cobrakon likes this.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I keep reading about how the TouchPad excels in "business" and "enterprise" but fail to see how, yet.

Care to explain why you think it does/will?
    Have you heard of EDS ? I am sure you are. They are 100K plus consultants advising corporate IT across the world. While Google and Apple can sell as many as tablets they make, they cannot provide what HP does.

Take Google, they provide the enterprise support on Android and probably will bend backwards to allow some changes to the tablets. But are clueless when it comes to advising senior IT folks on what hardware to buy ? how would it fit in their software portfolio ? Or how to implement IT projects.

Apple , OTOH, shows my route or the app route. You probably have to have an APP for enterprise applications ( e.g. SAP). Apple would not like individual corporations asking custom requests (be it be encryption , monitoring ... ). They might have supporting companies that are beyond my knowledge, but they do not have a team of consultants that would advise corporations on a regular basis of their IT needs.

Take a typical fortune 500 company and see where HP would fit in

HP supplies computers,servers and printers. So they have access to the managers who are key decision makers on the hardware.

HP owns 3Com and Mercury Interactive. The first one is a networking company and the second one is enterprise software tools company for managing software projects (datacenter server management, configuration management, testing). Here HP deals with the IT managers on the software side.

HP provides IT consulting. This , IMHO, is where all the magic happens. 9 out of 10 times the enterprise client has no clue what to do and how to do any IT project. The former EDS consultants advise the clients on software selection, development, deployment and maintenance. They provide a total package. HP can easily tailor the Touchpad to meet the needs of the customer and package it to deploy in their company.

Having ex SAP CEO helps them in the enterprise software support too. The big issue they have are their bitter rivalry with ORACLE and a hot and cold partnership with Microsoft.

Long story short , the enterprise managers are surrounded by HP, it will be tough for iPad to compete with Touchpad in spite of the lag no apps ....
    cobrakon and Rnp like this.
    Alrighty, now were getting somewhere. The TouchPad's core apps, with synergy, how does that make it an enterprise-ready platform?

Email is about the only core application I can see as being an advantage over the iPad.

But honestly, neither platform, stock, is enterprise-ready out of the box.
    Of course not.

I talked about that in my "irrelevant" thread (no pun intended). It's the combination of those stock apps and (when necessary) custom apps, all of them integrated with sinergy. Don't make me elaborate it again, please. Read it, and if you need some explanation about what I wrote, ask me.
    Last edited by deCorvett; 07/21/2011 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    The existence of these kind of tools just demonstrate that there is a real security breach with Jailbreaking.

You can't deny the problem, and later show me solutions for the problem you're denying. HP has provided it own solution on webOS, by securing developer mode access.
    I think we're starting to conflate jailbreaking and homebrew. Apple doesn't condone jailbreaking and they actively plug the holes people like comex and MuscleNerd use. The hackers are going to keep trying to find new exploits and Apple will keep trying to fix them.

HP, on the other hand, is cool with homebrew and they allow administrators to password protect developer mode. Which is great, but the TouchPad is still susceptible to attacks as stories like this demonstrate: Security flaw found in webOS 3.0 for the HP TouchPad [Update] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    Alrighty, now were getting somewhere. The TouchPad's core apps, with synergy, how does that make it an enterprise-ready platform?

Email is about the only core application I can see as being an advantage over the iPad.

But honestly, neither platform, stock, is enterprise-ready out of the box.
    Nope, but only one is being targeted at the enterprise by the parent company.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think we're starting to conflate jailbreaking and homebrew. Apple doesn't condone jailbreaking and they actively plug the holes people like comex and MuscleNerd use. The hackers are going to keep trying to find new exploits and Apple will keep trying to fix them.

HP, on the other hand, is cool with homebrew and they allow administrators to password protect developer mode. Which is great, but the TouchPad is still susceptible to attacks as stories like this demonstrate: Security flaw found in webOS 3.0 for the HP TouchPad [Update] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    No OS is 100% secure. And Developer mode, by itself, means doors totally open to everything. But closing those doors prevent device access and outside App Catalog installs, and without that, most of the security holes are solved.

No OS is 100% secure.
    Right, and that's why I'm confused by the implication that TouchPad is inherently more secure than iPad.
    True that HP can try to utilize their relationship with fortune 500 companies... But apple also has relationships with many of the same companies and those companies are already in if you believe this passage...

"Today 86% of the Fortune 500 are deploying or testing iPad within their enterprises, up from 75% last quarter. We are also seeing strong adoption internationally with 47% of Global 500 companies testing or deploying iPad. In the 15 months since iPad has shipped, we have seen iPad used in the enterprise in ways we could have never imagined."

I'm not saying hp still can't make inroads into these companies...companies can have different platforms... But where hp now says they want to be in enterprise... Apple is already in too and right now it sounds like they are further in.

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post

Take a typical fortune 500 company and see where HP would fit in
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Right, and that's why I'm confused by the implication that TouchPad is inherently more secure than iPad.
    I've elaborated my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    True that HP can try to utilize their relationship with fortune 500 companies... But apple also has relationships with many of the same companies and those companies are already in if you believe this passage...

"Today 86% of the Fortune 500 are deploying or testing iPad within their enterprises, up from 75% last quarter. We are also seeing strong adoption internationally with 47% of Global 500 companies testing or deploying iPad. In the 15 months since iPad has shipped, we have seen iPad used in the enterprise in ways we could have never imagined."

I'm not saying hp still can't make inroads into these companies...companies can have different platforms... But where hp now says they want to be in enterprise... Apple is already in too and right now it sounds like they are further in.
    Testing or deploying is a beautiful number. How many of them are deploying is the relevant %.

I've elaborated my previous post.
    Okay. I'm still trying to fully understand what you said previously. Is it your belief that webOS is inherently more secure because HP has given corporations the ability to 'password protect' developer mode on its enterprise devices?
    Understood but quite a accomplishment to get that many companies to test it for consideration. Hp will still have to be tested also... There is no automatic in thru the door I imagine.

Testing or deploying is a beautiful number. How many of them are deploying is the relevant %.
    Guys.. The OP's post was simply about how he missed some features of webOS and 9 pages later its all about everything else. The thread has run its course.
    Rnp and verwon like this.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789