Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    I think Apple pushed out iOS 4.3.4 fairly quickly to plug the PDF exploit.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Well, then the iPad slimmer form-factor must be the only differentiating factor and the only thing enterprise cares about. What kind of stuff it's supposed to be an advantadge then? Games?
    Apple - iPad - iPad in Business Plenty of case examples/videos there.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think Apple pushed out iOS 4.3.4 fairly quickly to plug the PDF exploit.
    I'm not aware about the current status of Jailbreaking, but seems that Apple always keeps "a door open".

But they can't do it forever. As soon as enterprise realize Jailbreaking techniques leaves the door open to all kind of security risks and data steling, Apple will be forced to really kill Jailbreaking.
    Newness Developments apps:

I'm not aware about the current status of Jailbreaking, but seems that Apple always keeps "a door open".

But they can't do it forever. As soon as enterprise realize Jailbreaking techniques leaves the door open to all kind of security risks and data steling, Apple will be forced to really kill Jailbreaking.
    Getting back to the TouchPad, the iPad is no less open than upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart.

Considering HP doesn't consider that "jailbreaking", anyone can use that command to browse about the internals of their device, even seeing app source code, etc. Can't do that on the iPad without going through hoops (aka jailbreaking). Even then, it's not possible (well, VERY difficult) because all apps are encrypted binaries.
    I agree that enterprise devices shouldn't allow installation of unsigned code but is that really much different from kicking a TouchPad into developer mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Apple - iPad - iPad in Business Plenty of case examples/videos there.
    Oh my god. Bussiness software is much more than that.

cobrakon and Rnp like this.
    Getting back to the TouchPad, the iPad is no less open than upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart.

Considering HP doesn't consider that "jailbreaking", anyone can use that command to browse about the internals of their device, even seeing app source code, etc. Can't do that on the iPad without going through hoops (aka jailbreaking). Even then, it's not possible (well, VERY difficult) because all apps are encrypted binaries.
    webOS 3.0 allows IT managers to secure root access on webOS devices, by assigning a password to the root access, so no homebrew.

Anyways, a user typing webOS20090606 is much more user decission than visiting a malware website that enables root access to the device, because this can be done with or without user permission.

Binaries? who need the binaries? with all the user passwords and stored data will suffice. And there are several methods to do that.
    Last edited by deCorvett; 07/21/2011 at 09:17 PM.

Oh my god. Bussiness software is much more than that.
    Such as?

Binaries? who need the binaries? with all the user passwords and stored data will suffice. And there are several methods to do that.
    Really? One can assess iOS' keychain?
    Okay, so we're looking at exploits and not voluntary jailbreaking.

I agree that the PDF exploits that jailbreakme.com used are pretty bad but, like I mentioned earlier, Apple patches them very quickly -- especially since some people like to go into Apple Stores and jailbreak everything on display.

The deployment process sucks but that's something that should be taken care of by iOS 5's delta updates.

The interesting thing is both jailbreakme.com launches were highly publicized and I don't think there's been a single report of someone having their iOS device compromised as a result of the exploit being published.
    Such as?
    Corporations and smaller companies have development departments or hire external resources for more than recommend App Store apps.

Corporations and smaller companies have development departments or hire external resources for more than recommend App Store apps.
    I might be misunderstanding you but if you're talking about bypassing the App Store for internal apps, you can just push a provisioning profile and use ad hoc distribution for your custom iOS apps.
    Really? One can assess iOS' keychain?
    Read this:
    iphone - iOS Keychain Security - Stack Overflow

Specifically:

After using a jailbreaking tool, to get access to a command shell, we run a small script to access and decrypt the passwords found in the keychain. The decryption is done with the help of functions provided by the operating system itself.
    If you Jailbreak, you're exposed.

And no, if you have the shell access that Jailbreaking provides, you don't need physical access to the device. You can do it all remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I might be misunderstanding you but if you're talking about bypassing the App Store for internal apps, you can just push a provisioning profile and use ad hoc distribution for your custom iOS apps.
    Yeah, I'm meaning that there is a very complex world of corporate software development, that is much more than the few thousands of standard productivity apps that any Market has.

Well, then the iPad slimmer form-factor must be the only differentiating factor and the only thing enterprise cares about. What kind of stuff it's supposed to be an advantadge then? Games?
    Not sure why you brought iPad into this. Can you elaborate on my question concerning: ""It can handle webOS versions of corporate software,"?"

Thanks
    Read this:
    iphone - iOS Keychain Security - Stack Overflow

Specifically:

If you Jailbreak, you're exposed.

And no, if you have the shell access that Jailbreaking provides, you don't need physical access to the device. You can do it all remotely.
    Of course, if you jailbreak, you're exposed. But as the post even explains, it's nearly impossible without having physical access to the device (even when it's jailbroken) due to the likeliness of it being (nearly) impossible to automate the whole process to retrieve one's keychain.

In any case, security isn't an issue on iOS, if it was we'd know and hear a lot more about. iOS could be considered the equivalent to Windows, as it's a highly adopted platform that makes it a likely target for exploits.
    Yeah, I'm meaning that there is a very complex world of corporate software development, that is much more than the few thousands of standard productivity apps that any Market has.
    Not following what you mean here? And how does this relate to the TouchPad/webOS and its strengths/weaknesses in enterprise?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Not sure why you brought iPad into this. Can you elaborate on my question concerning: ""It can handle webOS versions of corporate software,"?"

Thanks
    iPad is the supposed reference, and obviously the reference of some of the topic participants.

I'm talking about webOS native apps of companies' custom apps. Nothing that any other OS can't do. The real deal comes with Sinergy integration. Why? because Sinergy is a syncronization and abstraction layer that no other OS has, and enables full integration between OS bundled apps and third party apps in ways that no other OS can do.

iPad is the supposed reference, and obviously the reference of some of the topic participants.

I'm talking about webOS native apps of companies' custom apps. Nothing that any other OS can't do. The real deal comes with Sinergy integration. Why? because Sinergy is a syncronization and abstraction layer that no other OS has, and enables full integration between OS bundled apps and third party apps in ways that no other OS can do.
    Alrighty, now were getting somewhere. The TouchPad's core apps, with synergy, how does that make it an enterprise-ready platform?

Email is about the only core application I can see as being an advantage over the iPad.

But honestly, neither platform, stock, is enterprise-ready out of the box.

There are products that detect jailbreaks like Good. There are products to lock down the devices, like
    Boxtone , Airwatch, etc.. These are enterprise solutions that manage multiple os, except Webos. For that the it looks like
    MobileIron

Boxtone, Airwatch, Good, these are real world products being used now.

Your jailbreaking example does not show how webos is more secure. All it shows is that IOS is in the public eye.

Thank you for the clarification.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast