Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    This is not the behavior I've seen. Anything Flash-related pauses in the background, in my experience with the TouchPad. The exact same behavior if one uses the Hulu+ app on the iPad and switches to another app, it pauses, and resumes when you switch back to it.
    Some Flash based apps do pause, some don't.

Actually, some non-Flash based apps will pause, others don't.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I respect iOS. However your post is rather funny. I am using your own post to show something Apple does often. Tell everyone how to use their gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post

For two years webOS has been trying to convince people that the way it does things is markedly better, but in fact, its nearly the same for the most part, just often arrived at in a different way
    Now can you attach a document or a file to an open email after composing few lines ?

You can do that using an app for photos , adobe documents, word documents. But its not possible once you start composing. It can be done, but not in the way we have been doing for couple of decades.

People in here say that you can't, all the time. It does the platform no respect and just makes the users look uniformed.

And the guy who is called on to make assessments in his job about this kind of thing? Heck, that sort of carelessness can get someone fired where I work. It got JR fired.
    He still has a job.
    Is this normal behavior without patching? I'll go searching for the threads that involved this, but it was reported that Flash videos, music, etc. paused when the app was in card view.
    I have no Flash patches. (As a matter of fact, I don't think there are any Flash patches).
    Is this normal behavior without patching? I'll go searching for the threads that involved this, but it was reported that Flash videos, music, etc. paused when the app was in card view.
    i wrote a couple of things in mojo a while back, and this behavior is actually controlled by the application. webOS will tell the application that it's being put in card view and it's up to the app what it wants to do. for example, in a racing or shoot'em up games, you don't want that game running while in card view...you want it to pause.

i'm not 100% sure, but i think in iOS (at least the last time i looked at it), the idea is similar only the app doesn't have the option to "keep running". the only option is to save the state or not. so for apps that don't save their state, when you "switch" back to them, you start from the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I have no Flash patches. (As a matter of fact, I don't think there are any Flash patches).
    i can't remember, maybe there was an update from the app catalog? i remember there were some updates to some of the apps when i first fired up my touchpad. and maybe the other guy was seeing the an earlier build? who knows...that's how it's working now though.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post

Now can you attach a document or a file to an open email after composing few lines ?

You can do that using an app for photos , adobe documents, word documents. But its not possible once you start composing. It can be done, but not in the way we have been doing for couple of decades.
    To this you can add, not in the way that even Mac OS does it. I find it funny that as much as Lion borrows from iOS (and I like it a lot), the mail app in particular, it still has the nice paper clip icon. Now, how can the same company see something as necessary on my laptop, but not on the tablet? Where´s the fluid user experience there?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Frankly, his description of how the iPad handles it is closer to what I remember. If you exited the email program, an email you were working on was saved as a draft.
    In reality though, when you go back into email, you are in the exact same email (and your cursor is in the exact same spot) as when you left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    To this you can add, not in the way that even Mac OS does it. I find it funny that as much as Lion borrows from iOS (and I like it a lot), the mail app in particular, it still has the nice paper clip icon. Now, how can the same company see something as necessary on my laptop, but not on the tablet? Where´s the fluid user experience there?
    I'm with you on this one. iOS' mail client could benefit from a slight makeover. Lion's version of Mail.app is probably the best mail client I've ever used (that accordion foldout thing is just fantastic) and I hope Apple brings the iOS version up to the same level of polish.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'm with you on this one. iOS' mail client could benefit from a slight makeover. Lion's version of Mail.app is probably the best mail client I've ever used (that accordion foldout thing is just fantastic) and I hope Apple brings the iOS version up to the same level of polish.
    I agree... it´s getting hard to tell who´s copying who. Lion Mail looks like Touchpad, which looks like iPad...
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    There's a significant difference between Android's success on the phone and its lack of success (thus far) on the tablet: carriers.

The iPad, not having the same restrictions is a free-for-all for anyone that wants one, regardless of their carrier, country, etc.
    Disagree.
    The original iPhone features (3.5 inch screen and Browser improvements multitouch zoom and such) are what really made it for Apple in the mobile world. The rest of the features like email, apps .... are there on other platforms. You can call it whatever (copy, patent violation, rippoff) but Google and its partners are introducing the same features at breakneck speed.They caught up with iOS in two years and beating it on hardware front. The low price of upcoming Android tablets will deliver the killer blow to Apple. There are a boatload of them , the cheap android tablets on Amazon.
    It's too risky to send the message that the leader has messed up, so they usher them out in palatable ways. Not a new trick.
    i don't know...the hp board of directors and mark hurd might disagree with you there.
    Disagree.
    The original iPhone features (3.5 inch screen and Browser improvements multitouch zoom and such) are what really made it for Apple in the mobile world. The rest of the features like email, apps .... are there on other platforms. You can call it whatever (copy, patent violation, rippoff) but Google and its partners are introducing the same features at breakneck speed.They caught up with iOS in two years and beating it on hardware front. The low price of upcoming Android tablets will deliver the killer blow to Apple. There are a boatload of them , the cheap android tablets on Amazon.
    And I disagree.

Take a look at these very forums and you will find both loyalty to webOS and to carrier. You have a many that are dropping Sprint to go wherever the Pre 3 lands but you also have a whole segment of others that will be sticking with Sprint and claim to pick up an Android (or iPhone 5 if it hits Sprint).

Most consumers are likely to choose carrier over phone. Before iPhone, their choice was a nice feature phone or a BlackBerry. After the iPhone, their choice was the same, AT&T, or Android.

Take another look at the Verizon iPhone. It was recently shown that Verizon accounts for something like 30% of U.S. iPhones without a significant drop in AT&T iPhone users. What's this mean? That many dropped whatever phone they were using on Verizon for the iPhone, most likely an Android or BB according to the latest numbers.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    And I disagree.

Take a look at these very forums and you will find both loyalty to webOS and to carrier. You have a many that are dropping Sprint to go wherever the Pre 3 lands but you also have a whole segment of others that will be sticking with Sprint and claim to pick up an Android (or iPhone 5 if it hits Sprint).

Most consumers are likely to choose carrier over phone. Before iPhone, their choice was a nice feature phone or a BlackBerry. After the iPhone, their choice was the same, AT&T, or Android.

Take another look at the Verizon iPhone. It was recently shown that Verizon accounts for something like 30% of U.S. iPhones without a significant drop in AT&T iPhone users. What's this mean? That many dropped whatever phone they were using on Verizon for the iPhone, most likely an Android or BB according to the latest numbers.
    Here is your earlier post.

There's a significant difference between Android's success on the phone and its lack of success (thus far) on the tablet: carriers.

The iPad, not having the same restrictions is a free-for-all for anyone that wants one, regardless of their carrier, country, etc.
    Phones are different from tablets. When it comes to tablets, price matters. Android will eventually take market share. I hope HP comes out of its slumber.
    Here is your earlier post.

Phones are different from tablets. When it comes to tablets, price matters. Android will eventually take market share. I hope HP comes out of its slumber.
    They'll buy cheaper Android tablets over iPads for the same reasons they'd choose a cheaper Netbook over an iPad.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Where Touchpad can beat iPad is price. HP has to repeat the price war they did with Dell on computers. Touchpad has significant advantage over iPad on business side.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Back on the topic,
    When you switch back to iPad , the touch experience much better than Touchpad.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Where Touchpad can beat iPad is price. HP has to repeat the price war they did with Dell on computers. Touchpad has significant advantage over iPad on business side.
    I keep reading about how the TouchPad excels in "business" and "enterprise" but fail to see how, yet.

Care to explain why you think it does/will?
    Where TouchPad can beat iPad should be versatility of supported standards out of the box. But that's not happening. It's Android's game. Opposite of Aple's singularity there is Android anarchy, and they are going well with this. HP can't find its place acting like Apple and Google in same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Where TouchPad can beat iPad should be versatility of supported standards out of the box. But that's not happening. It's Android's game. Opposite of Aple's singularity there is Android anarchy, and they are going well with this. HP can't find its place acting like Apple and Google in same time.
    Care to elaborate? What exactly do you mean by "supported standards"?
    I keep reading about how the TouchPad excels in "business" and "enterprise" but fail to see how, yet.

Care to explain why you think it does/will?
    Yeah, they've had three whole weeks already!!
    lukehale likes this.