Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What "shift"? Are you saying that Apple has regained market share, or are you saying that the market share loss is slowing?

I haven't seen any recent numbers, but I don't think market share is increasing for Apple.
    I wont derail this thread, but a quick answer is: yes, it is. Do a few searches in the Other Handhelds subforum and you'll see that this has already been discussed.
    When you "switch" away from one application to another, aren't you essentially "leaving" the original app behind?
    I'm going to keep repeating this, and maybe those of you that don't use the TouchPad will understand.

One doesn't have to leave the email application. He never stated that you had to "switch"; he said leave. It's still running. You can literally be in the middle of an email, and switch to any other application on the device, and then pick up where you were in the email.

Yes, that is different.
    You might perfectly illustrate why webOS has this enormous challenge in front of it. It started with J Rubenstein not wanting to use competitors' products - he just didn't *get* what other products could do, and tried to sell his products' features as wildly different when for the most part they weren't.

For two years webOS has been trying to convince people that the way it does things is markedly better, but in fact, its nearly the same for the most part, just often arrived at in a different way (and that it's been with a LOT less stability for the most part has been a huge part of its problem...). Sure there are a few things iOS does better, that webOS does better, that Android does better. But for 90% of users out there, most of the differences just come down to what one is used to, like the old Win/Mac wars.

You can write an email on an iOS device, and leave it - close it - "toggle away from" whichever nomenclature you want to glom on to - and come back to it right where you left off. Period.**

People in here say that you can't, all the time. It does the platform no respect and just makes the users look uniformed.

And the guy who is called on to make assessments in his job about this kind of thing? Heck, that sort of carelessness can get someone fired where I work. It got JR fired.

** edited to add, and you can do it with a click (or if you have iOS5 enabled, a swipe). Its just not a big set of steps.
    Last edited by finngirl; 07/21/2011 at 03:33 PM.
    Market share isnt a truly fair measure in the iOS vs. Android problem. As todays reports show (engadget report...sorry, dont have the link), Apple is now the worlds leading mobile phone manufacturer, topping Nokia.
    The iPhone is the only device running iOS (on a phone, that is) so comparing it to Android is misleading, since Android runs (in its multiple forms) on many, many devices manufactured by many companies. But no single device running Android even comes close to the market share held by the iPhone. Which will surely grow with more carriers providing it.

Just sayin.
    I'm going to keep repeating this, and maybe those of you that don't use the TouchPad will understand.

One doesn't have to leave the email application. He never stated that you had to "switch"; he said leave. It's still running. You can literally be in the middle of an email, and switch to any other application on the device, and then pick up where you were in the email.

Yes, that is different.
    Maybe I'm not following what you're trying to portray here, but how is that any different than how it's handled on iOS?

I've provided a demo video:

And no, that's not a jailbroken iPad or anything, just using Apple-provided gestures/features that come stock in iOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Maybe I'm not following what you're trying to portray here, but how is that any different than how it's handled on iOS?

Maybe I'm mistaken. Are you saying that you can start an email, and then switch to any application on the iPad, and pick back up on the email? No saving a draft, no restarting the application, just simple switching?

I very well could be, as I said, I don't use it day in and day out.

But, I'll repeat, you don't have to leave the program on the TouchPad. And no, "leaving" and "switching" are totally different things.
    Maybe I'm mistaken. Are you saying that you can start an email, and then switch to any application on the iPad, and pick back up on the email? No saving a draft, no restarting the application, just simple switching?

Yes.
    As it Stand Right now, Android is selling and Activating more Phones than any other OS Globally because of how much cheaper they are and the variety of choices they have. Tests show that Apple is still number 1 Tablet seller but Android is starting to catch up. Its because Android is being adopted by so many different carriers and companies globally as well. Apple Ipads went from 94% of tablets sold to 61% because of Android. Android took 30% of the Market Share and the number is rising. Android might be the #1 Sold OS for tablets too because of Variety.

iPad share of tablet shipments fell in second quarter, says report | iPad Atlas - CNET Reviews

Link ^

I very well could be, as I said, I don't use it day in and day out.

But, I'll repeat, you don't have to leave the program on the TouchPad. And no, "leaving" and "switching" are totally different things.
    Did you not watch the video?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    When you "switch" away from one application to another, aren't you essentially "leaving" the original app behind?
    in touchpad, not necessarily. say i go to hulu.com to watch some show. then during commercials (unless of course it's a touchpad commercial), i switch to my email app really quickly to check my email. while i'm checking my email, i can hear everything. so when the commercial is done, i can switch back to my show.
    Quote Originally Posted by wencyjr View Post
    in touchpad, not necessarily. say i go to hulu.com to watch some show. then during commercials (unless of course it's a touchpad commercial), i switch to my email app really quickly to check my email. while i'm checking my email, i can hear everything. so when the commercial is done, i can switch back to my show.
    This is not the behavior I've seen. Anything Flash-related pauses in the background, in my experience with the TouchPad. The exact same behavior if one uses the Hulu+ app on the iPad and switches to another app, it pauses, and resumes when you switch back to it.
    I Like This Because On Android I Couldn't have Youtube open and listen to music while i did something else at the same time. Now on Touchpad I can have My youtube playlist on a card while I go do other stuff! now Thats Sweet Multitasking! Idk if you can do this on iOS because ive never owned an apple product though. its +1 over android though.

And no, that's not a jailbroken iPad or anything, just using Apple-provided gestures/features that come stock in iOS.
    Stock in iOS5, though, correct? Not exactly the current thing everyone is seeing. Previously, it was as described in this thread.

By the way, this is now quite nice, as it melds with the gestures in Lion. Which are awesome. (Yaaay upgrade!)

Maybe instead we should talk about how to attach a photo, a document, and a music file all in the same email from iOS. Id say that in this one, webOS is a good deal easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    Stock in iOS5, though, correct? Not exactly the current thing everyone is seeing. Previously, it was as described in this thread.
    I've had the gestures enabled since iPad1.

Earliest version of iPad 1, I think, you are correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post

By the way, this is now quite nice, as it melds with the gestures in Lion. Which are awesome. (Yaaay upgrade!)

Maybe instead we should talk about how to attach a photo, a document, and a music file all in the same email from iOS. Id say that in this one, webOS is a good deal easier.
    The Mail app certainly has its deficiencies when it comes to attachments; it is sad that 5 generations in iOS and you still can't have attachments from directly within Mail.

However, as a not-so-great workaround, you can copy/paste photos, documents, etc. into Mail to send multiple attachments.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I've had the gestures enabled since iPad1.

Earliest version of iPad 1, I think, you are correct.
    I plead ignorance, as Ive never used an iPad other than a few minutes in a store... but this is from Apple.com:

"iOS 5 includes a few new moves and shortcuts to help you get around even quicker on your iPad: Using four or five fingers, swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar, pinch to return to the Home screen, and swipe left or right to switch between apps."

So, how were you doing it before this? Just last week, the blue shirt at BB told me that to multitask while emailing on the iPad2, it had to save it as a draft. I realize of course, that these guys know next to nothing about the products.
    This is not the behavior I've seen. Anything Flash-related pauses in the background, in my experience with the TouchPad. The exact same behavior if one uses the Hulu+ app on the iPad and switches to another app, it pauses, and resumes when you switch back to it.
    where have you seen it? you should go to BB and check it out. when i was thinking it, i thought i better verify before i post. so i did it on my touchpad and it worked like how i described.

this is what webOS fans are trying to describe about multitasking in the touchpad. that's why the tap-count comparison was kinda silly to me. the power of the device is NOT how many taps does it take to do this task or that task....the power is how productive you can be doing multiple tasks at the same time.
    Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I agree. People complain about Apple fan boys trashing WebOS/Touchpad but the same can be said about Palm fan boys. There's just not as many Palm fan boys

Both the ipad2 and Touchpad are good tablets. IMHO they're the best two available. Go play with both and see what fits your needs. Different people have different needs so there isn't one best tablet for everyone.
    well said. and pitting both against each other, figuring out how many taps to do certain tasks, it's pointless. regardless of the number of taps, you'll always be more efficient in the device that you use all the time, and not so much in the device that you don't.
    There is some big differences is: all this noise that the Apple Fan Boys are doing here, can I do the same in Apple and or related forums?

For example, we have less noise from AndroFans...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    hparsons likes this.
    where have you seen it? you should go to BB and check it out. when i was thinking it, i thought i better verify before i post. so i did it on my touchpad and it worked like how i described.

this is what webOS fans are trying to describe about multitasking in the touchpad. that's why the tap-count comparison was kinda silly to me. the power of the device is NOT how many taps does it take to do this task or that task....the power is how productive you can be doing multiple tasks at the same time.
    Is this normal behavior without patching? I'll go searching for the threads that involved this, but it was reported that Flash videos, music, etc. paused when the app was in card view.

Yes, that is different.
    Different than what? I do that on my iOS devices ALL THE TIME!!!!!!