Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    First, were talking about destroying iOS with a TASK challenge...not maps

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3004086

Second, I did NOT say sending directions...I said looking something up on a map, you know geography..WAYPOINTS, not "destinations". I know it's hard to accept. Tables full of iusers have had to accept deafeat as well.
    iOS is to WebOS, what Windows ME is to Windows XP.

Its the same concept, just done better at a later date.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    I did NOT say sending directions...I said looking something up on a map, you know geography..WAYPOINTS, not "destinations". I know it's hard to accept. Tables full of iusers have had to accept deafeat as well.
    Who said anything about sending directions? I think if this thread has shown anything, its that you have probably never used an iOS device.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Me thinks comparing iPad and TP won't get anywhere.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Who said anything about sending directions? I think if this thread has shown anything, its that you have probably never used an iOS device.

I guess you guys all have valid points. It is better than TP on the responsiveness. One thing the competition never quite duplicated is the touch experience. You never have to tap twice to open an app. In spite of this I find its UI is not for me. Just too many taps ( agreed that we don't need to tap many times for this map scenario).
    That's hilarious considering there are two iPad2's, a Xoom, a Transformer, and 4 Playbooks on the workbench in front of me. We are doing a "BYOD" pilot for phones and tablets (to offset hw costs) and our team is providing use cases for each. Proving the TPad's superiority over the other devices has been part of my job for the past few weeks. So I am intimately familiar with the deficiencies of the other platforms. ;-)
    That's hilarious considering there are two iPad2's, a Xoom, a Transformer, and 4 Playbooks on the workbench in front of me. We are doing a "BYOD" pilot for phones and tablets (to offset hw costs) and our team is providing use cases for each. Proving the TPad's superiority over the other devices has been part of my job for the past few weeks. So I am intimately familiar with the deficiencies of the other platforms. ;-)
    and yet you still got your map example completely wrong.
    exactly. i mean the only reason i posted was that i am reading his steps and thinking... "does it really take that many steps?" i mean if it did then i'll admit it and find it crazy.

and i went through it myself it took me 5 steps...and thought... he either doesnt know all the steps to use it more efficiently... or he's just blatantly lying.

i mean, if you wanna argue a point then be honest and precise but if your gonna lie and say you destroy iusers on a daily basis attracting discussions like this then... i dunno, whatever is fun for you.

i mean, if you have all these units in front of you and you continue to show your company how ipads are destroyed in your testings and base your purchases on test like these... glad not my company

i mean really... with some of the bugs here waiting for the OTA, i wouldnt be recommending the TP yet for deployment. Edit... i see now your only testing for BYOD.

and yet you still got your map example completely wrong.
    Last edited by donm527; 07/21/2011 at 11:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Well I guess I could have summed up my long post to say the same thing. The user experience on the iPad is not enjoyable and facing competition from the Touchpad this needs to change.
    The iPad isn't facing competition from the Touchpad or Playbook. Android perhaps.
    i think may be the other way around and android is the big dog cause of all the different manufacturers and ios is actually behind... just when you look at apple, the numbers are staggering to see come from one company.

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The iPad isn't facing competition from the Touchpad or Playbook. Android perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I agree. People complain about Apple fan boys trashing WebOS/Touchpad but the same can be said about Palm fan boys. There's just not as many Palm fan boys

Both the ipad2 and Touchpad are good tablets. IMHO they're the best two available. Go play with both and see what fits your needs. Different people have different needs so there isn't one best tablet for everyone.
    well said. and pitting both against each other, figuring out how many taps to do certain tasks, it's pointless. regardless of the number of taps, you'll always be more efficient in the device that you use all the time, and not so much in the device that you don't.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I agree totally. Its only matter of time.
    Next year this time around iPad is going to be against multiple form factors from many manufacturers. Look at the first Android phone. Remember the Tmobile G1 ? Yuk. Fast forward two years, Android is ruling the market.

I can clearly see the signs now. Asus Transformer is selling hot. Believe it or not Flash and SD card slot are big deals.

No wonder HP wants to license "The webOS".
    If your typing an email on the TouchPad and you want to load multiple websites, you need to leave the email app and switch to the browser. How is this different than what I do on the iPad?
    You don't need to leave it. You can leave it running, at the exact place you were typing.
    My emphasis added:
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    How dare ? You my friend, you don't get it. Do you ?

I never have to do that on my iPad so far.
    I usually don't text. I email
    I call my friend and tell him to write on a paper.
    Its just two more taps on the center button.
    And
    iOS does multitasking.

On a serious note, it can be done on iPad. Takes more steps. Which is great. You get to spend more time with the magical device.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

and honestly... i wouldnt even do all that...

i'd tell them where I'm going and to look up Wendy's from their own darn phone
    Too funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You don't need to leave it. You can leave it running, at the exact place you were typing.
    As you do on the iPad.

Honest to god, people, it's liked you've never touched an iPad, but I know you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    As you do on the iPad.

Honest to god, people, it's liked you've never touched an iPad, but I know you have.
    I think you missed my point. He said you leave the email program. I figured he knew what he was talking about (on the iPad). On the TouchPad, you don't. That was my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Really, why the hostility? I never said anything about how the iPad handles email. I simply stated how the TouchPad does.

Frankly, his description of how the iPad handles it is closer to what I remember. If you exited the email program, an email you were working on was saved as a draft. I don't use an iPad, but the one time I saw it being used for email (some time ago), that was the way it worked.

Now, I don't know. I won't pretend to know.

But seriously, if iPad users are going to get this worked up when information is corrected about the TouchPad on a WebOS forum, maybe it's the wrong place to hang around.
    It doesn't matter how you choose your words, the fact is, on both webOS and iOS you have to leave your current app to access another app. It's how you switch between those applications that is the differentiation.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I agree totally. Its only matter of time.
    Next year this time around iPad is going to be against multiple form factors from many manufacturers. Look at the first Android phone. Remember the Tmobile G1 ? Yuk. Fast forward two years, Android is ruling the market.

I can clearly see the signs now. Asus Transformer is selling hot. Believe it or not Flash and SD card slot are big deals.

No wonder HP wants to license "The webOS".
    There's a significant difference between Android's success on the phone and its lack of success (thus far) on the tablet: carriers.

Android became wildly success due to it being the closest thing to an iPhone that was available on all carriers. With the iPhone being constricted to a single U.S. carrier for the longest time, Android was able to capture its marketshare thanks to carrier ubiquity.

We're now beginning to see another shift with iOS now that it's available on Verizon and we will likely see that shift accelerate when/if the iPhone hits Sprint and/or T-Mobile.

The iPad, not having the same restrictions is a free-for-all for anyone that wants one, regardless of their carrier, country, etc.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It doesn't matter how you choose your words, the fact is, on both webOS and iOS you have to leave your current app to access another app. It's how you switch between those applications that is the differentiation.
    I'm going to keep repeating this, and maybe those of you that don't use the TouchPad will understand.

One doesn't have to leave the email application. He never stated that you had to "switch"; he said leave. It's still running. You can literally be in the middle of an email, and switch to any other application on the device, and then pick up where you were in the email.

Yes, that is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Android became wildly success due to it being the closest thing to an iPhone that was available on all carriers. With the iPhone being constricted to a single U.S. carrier for the longest time, Android was able to capture its marketshare thanks to carrier ubiquity.

We're now beginning to see another shift with iOS now that it's available on Verizon and we will likely see that shift accelerate when/if the iPhone hits Sprint and/or T-Mobile.
    What "shift"? Are you saying that Apple has regained market share, or are you saying that the market share loss is slowing?

I haven't seen any recent numbers, but I don't think market share is increasing for Apple.