Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    If your typing an email on the TouchPad and you want to load multiple websites, you need to leave the email app and switch to the browser. How is this different than what I do on the iPad?
    So say if you looked up something on a map and wanted to text\email that to someone, how would you go about Doing that on iOS?

Try...

Open map
    Find waypoint
    Click home
    Open SMS
    Double tap home
    Select map
    Get info
    Double tap home
    Select SMS
    Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap
    Efc.

Or you could...
    Open map
    Find waypoint
    Upwipe, just Type the first part of your message and automatically open SMS
    Upswipe, tap map
    Get rest of info
    Upswipe, tap SMS
    Finish

Then of course there's my famous "Super Task Challenge" which continues to destroy iOS for the foreseeable future (or until Jobsey steps aside and someone less stubborn takes the helm)
    Weaser999 likes this.
    There's a few things we haven't touched on that are different between the ipad and touchpad. Specifically synergy. I love the way synergy handles contacts, instant messaging, and calendars. I prefer the touchpad email app also.
    I think some TouchPad users really don't understand how multitasking on the iPad really works. For example, I often multitask on the iPad (two or more apps processing data at the same time). However, I have never once ever felt the need to manually go to the multitask bar and "kill" an app. There is no need.

If you want to say that the WebOS card system makes it easier to switch between apps, then I am ok with that. But to say that WebOS actually "multitasks" better than Android or iOS devices is not factual at all.
    Those of us that know how multi-tasking works on the iPad (and on Android) like the Touchpad/webOS method better.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    So say if you looked up something on a map and wanted to text\email that to someone, how would you go about Doing that on iOS?

Try...

Open map
    Find waypoint
    Click home
    Open SMS
    Double tap home
    Select map
    Get info
    Double tap home
    Select SMS
    Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap
    Efc.

Or you could...
    Open map
    Find waypoint
    Upswipe, tap map
    Get rest of info
    Upswipe, tap SMS
    Finish

Then of course there's my famous "Super Task Challenge" which continues to destroy iOS for the foreseeable future (or until Jobsey steps aside and someone less stubborn takes the helm)
    How dare ? You my friend, you don't get it. Do you ?

I never have to do that on my iPad so far.
    I usually don't text. I email
    I call my friend and tell him to write on a paper.
    Its just two more taps on the center button.
    And
    iOS does multitasking.

On a serious note, it can be done on iPad. Takes more steps. Which is great. You get to spend more time with the magical device.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Speaking of which, its futile to explain the visual multitasking feature to an iUser. You have to use it to know the elegance.
    jasetroncs likes this.
    let's see...

i open my google maps

At the top, find waypoint in the search bar... I'll search Wendy's cause I'm getting hungry.

When you see the thumbtack with the wendy's I'm looking for, press on the flag for the info.

scroll to bottom of the info window and press 'share location'

choose either email or mms

and in your email or mms window, send it out.

five steps and you call that 'destroying' people?

and honestly... i wouldnt even do all that...

i'd tell them where I'm going and to look up Wendy's from their own darn phone

Try...

Open map
    Find waypoint
    Click home
    Open SMS
    Double tap home
    Select map
    Get info
    Double tap home
    Select SMS
    Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap
    Efc.

Or you could...
    Open map
    Find waypoint
    Upswipe, tap map
    Get rest of info
    Upswipe, tap SMS
    Finish

Last edited by donm527; 07/20/2011 at 10:18 AM.
    But what if you need to add an attachment to the email?
    cobrakon likes this.
    that's not what we are talking about.
    we are talking about destroying someone with a map quiz.

stay on topic

Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    But what if you need to add an attachment to the email?
    everything i have read and played a little... webos multitasking is just nicer implementation.

so hp needs to capitalize on that and fast to attract new users right now and hopefully keep them.

ios may not be as smooth with their multitasking... but they did it that way because that's the best they could do with the technology at hand and offer good trouble free performance and battery. and it works. i switch from app to app and dont care if its in some suspended state... as long as a can switch back and forth and continue working then i am ok.

but my guess of what i see in the future...

as we go into dual core mobile processors and past the gigahertz and someday goto 2 ghz and have just as good battery...

then apple wont need to implement their method of multi-tasking and go back to true multitasking which they can do... i always think ios is just a little bro of osx and they can do it. i believe that early development they did try with multitasking but they killed it cause it took too much power.

once they do that... and they are already implementing gestures with ios5 and whatever new features they develop... whatever adavantage webos' multitasking had... will be gone.

on the mac side they are implementing the mac app store... so wouldnt be crazy that sometime in the future the two os' converge.

maybe with ios6 or ios7... in two generations? so hp needs to really kick **** (i think i said the same thing two years ago writing about pre).

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Those of us that know how multi-tasking works on the iPad (and on Android) like the Touchpad/webOS method better.
    Last edited by donm527; 07/20/2011 at 12:45 PM.
    Jailbreak it.
    mine is... it's ok... but i dont really care to go through the hassles (must be getting old) and yes there are performance issues too at times.

i am really looking forward to ios5 because it addresses almost every reason i jailbroke and i think on the consumer level many people will feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Jailbreak it.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    everything i have read and played a little... webos multitasking is just nicer implementation.

so hp needs to capitalize on that and fast to attract new users right now and hopefully keep them.

ios may not be as smooth with their multitasking... but they did it that way because that's the best they could do with the technology at hand and offer good trouble free performance and battery. and it works. i switch from app to app and dont care if its in some suspended state... as long as a can switch back and forth and continue working then i am ok.

but my guess of what i see in the future...

as we go into dual core mobile processors and past the gigahertz and someday goto 2 ghz and have just as good battery...

then apple wont need to implement their method of multi-tasking and go back to true multitasking which they can do... i always think ios is just a little bro of osx and they can do it. i believe that early development they did try with multitasking but they killed it cause it took too much power.

once they do that... and they are already implementing gestures with ios5 and whatever new features they develop... whatever adavantage webos' multitasking had... will be gone.

on the mac side they are implementing the mac app store... so wouldnt be crazy that sometime in the future the two os' converge.

maybe with ios6 or ios7... in two generations? so hp needs to really kick **** (i think i said the same thing two years ago writing about pre).
    I agree that Apple took the low road on the original iPhone and iPod Touch and did not add multi-tasking because they could figure out how to save battery life with it. The implementation of "mult-tasking" they have now was a bait and switch move just to say they had it, but it is basically the same as before. Palm figured it out and made it easier and more elegant than on a regular computer. Palm would be ahead now had they concentrated harder on the hardware and had better advertisement. Palm was force by economics to sell itself. I understand Apple was given a chance to buy Palm and the didn't. HP took over and added better hardware (the TP has faster processors, more RAM, stereo speakers, the same screen/resolution, and built in wireless charging) and a better marketing strategy.

I am upset with Apple because instead of learning (copying) from Palm how to make a better OS for the iPad, they put the same crummy cellphone/portable media player OS on it. Yes I know how iOS works, its on my iPod Touch. It should have been updated to be somewhat on par with what's on my laptop, since that is what it is supposed to replace. Good thing webOS does that and thank God (and HP) for the Touchpad. If it wasn't for the apps we would all be saying Apple who?

Try...

Open map
    Find waypoint
    Click home
    Open SMS
    Double tap home
    Select map
    Get info
    Double tap home
    Select SMS
    Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap
    Efc.

Or you could...
    Open map
    Find waypoint
    Upswipe, tap map
    Get rest of info
    Upswipe, tap SMS
    Finish

Or you could simply do this: Stratus App 2011-07-20 at 12:47:01 PM.png

This is seriously one of my biggest pet peeves here; people spouting off mis-direction about both webOS, iOS and Android.

And for the curious that want to know exactly what happens when you click "Message" on the iPad, I took a snapshot of the whole process:

1. http://cl.ly/8dyN
    2. http://cl.ly/8dJ6
    3. http://cl.ly/8dtt
    4. http://cl.ly/8eRc
    Last edited by barkerja; 07/20/2011 at 02:58 PM.

Try...

Open map
    Find waypoint
    Click home
    Open SMS
    Double tap home
    Select map
    Get info
    Double tap home
    Select SMS
    Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap
    Efc.

Or you could...
    Open map
    Find waypoint
    Upswipe, tap map
    Get rest of info
    Upswipe, tap SMS
    Finish

Um, I would find waypoint in map app and choose "share location". A pop up screen asks me via email or mms. Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Or you could simply do this: Stratus App 2011-07-20 at 12:47:01 PM.png

This is seriously one of my biggest pet peeves here; people spouting off mis-direction about both webOS, iOS and Android.

And for the curious that want to know exactly what happens when you click "Message" on the iPad, I took a snapshot of the whole process:

1. Stratus App 2011-07-20 at 12:57:02 PM.png
    2. Stratus App 2011-07-20 at 12:57:29 PM.png
    3. Stratus App 2011-07-20 at 12:58:05 PM.png
    4. Stratus App 2011-07-20 at 12:58:25 PM.png
    missed your post. Exactly my point. I really dont think many ToucPad users have ever tried an iOS device.
    missed your post. Exactly my point. I really dont think many ToucPad users have ever tried an iOS device.
    I agree. People complain about Apple fan boys trashing WebOS/Touchpad but the same can be said about Palm fan boys. There's just not as many Palm fan boys

Both the ipad2 and Touchpad are good tablets. IMHO they're the best two available. Go play with both and see what fits your needs. Different people have different needs so there isn't one best tablet for everyone.
    going by anantechs review of the tp where it takes 1.1 sec for the ipad2 to load google maps and 7.1 seconds to load map on the tp...

good lord... this is the challenge i've seen posted on various threads that have 'destroyed' ios owners 99 out of a 100 rematches?

by the time I get to 7 seconds I have loaded my map, keyworded 'burger king' (was hungry again... i know, i'm not eating well lately)... and I am about to hit the thumbnail to get the 'email' button.

if the test shows anything... it's that your friends are ignorant of how to use the map on their iphones. yes they were destroyed so easily... like shooting fish in a barrel. and I hope after tonight you show them how to use it correctly.

Um, I would find waypoint in map app and choose "share location". A pop up screen asks me via email or mms. Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I agree. People complain about Apple fan boys trashing WebOS/Touchpad but the same can be said about Palm fan boys. There's just not as many Palm fan boys

Both the ipad2 and Touchpad are good tablets. IMHO they're the best two available. Go play with both and see what fits your needs. Different people have different needs so there isn't one best tablet for everyone.
    If you have noticed that since the Touchpad has been released there have been a flurry of "other tablet" owners trashing the Touchpad in these forums. You start a thread about something unrelated and it turns into my tablet is better than yours or why did you buy a Touchpad? It's ridiculous. The only time I've seen anything this bad in techland was when Linux was first getting big and looked like a threat to Windows on the desktop. It seemed like Windows users, real or not, were everywhere. They were on the Linux forums and they were posting a comment on every good or bad story about Linux on the Internet. These tactics have a few names: Astroturfing (fake grass roots effort) and spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt). Politicians used the same tactics to attack opponents who pose a serious threat.

I feel there are two things sad about this. First and foremost the Touchpad is an excellent device that doesn't suffer from any more bugs or glitches or have any less software or support than any other young device. Second, many members of these forums own or use Apple and Android devices. I have 4 iPods, had an iPhone, and currently own an Android Tablet in addition to my Touchpad. Several other members of this forum have stated that they own or have owned iPads to include the OP. It makes no sense to argue with someone who probably knows more about your device than you do because they have/had the same thing, have already done the comparisons, and is probably a tech junkie.

I come to PreCentral and WebOSRoundup to talk to a community of other webOS owners. To discuss issues or praise my favorite OS and hang out with like minded individuals. Not to argue with owners of other devices who seem to not be comfortable enough with their device to just enjoy it and stop worrying about mine. Has anybody seen a Touchpad owner hijacking a thread in TiPb, Android Central, or XDA Developers?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    that's not what we are talking about.
    we are talking about destroying someone with a map quiz.

stay on topic
    First, were talking about destroying iOS with a TASK challenge...not maps

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3004086

Second, I did NOT say sending directions...I said looking something up on a map, you know geography..WAYPOINTS, not "destinations". I know it's hard to accept. Tables full of iusers have had to accept deafeat as well.
    I honestly didn't know what waypoint meant. But I thought you meant more of 'address'... That's geography? I didn't mean directions either. And when you press the thumbtack and press email or mms, it will send you the 'address'... not directions.

If that is what your looking for then it took me five steps.

I'm just going by what you were using as example at top page 3 here... If I am misinterpreting then I don't mind if you want to clear it up for me.

As far as task challenge... Wouldn't be a big deal playing angry birds and then going to the map as requested either. Once in maps it still takes 5 steps and when I go back to angry birds I can continue playing.

It's all fun so please don't get upset... One task doesn't define a phone... Whether iPhone or webos or anything

First, were talking about destroying iOS with a TASK challenge...not maps

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3004086

Second, I did NOT say sending directions...I said looking something up on a map, you know geography..WAYPOINTS, not "destinations". I know it's hard to accept. Tables full of iusers have had to accept deafeat as well.
    Last edited by donm527; 07/20/2011 at 10:56 PM.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast