Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 174
Like Tree82Likes
  1. #21  
    Played with my friends iPad 2 this weekend, and some of the UI stuff is just stupid, not to mention poorly designed apps.

    To truly quit some applications you have to press the home button to "quit," then press and hold the home button for the "task manager" bar to appear at the bottom, tap and hold the application you want to quit then tap the red circle with a dash in the corner to actually quit the application. Really... I can't believe the number of apps you can't actually quit unless you perform the steps above. That's not multitasking, it's a glorified save state.

    I took me 2 minutes to figure out how to download a free application. There's no download button on the screen until you tap the button that displays the price; then it fades to reveal the download button. Another tap is required to download. There's plenty of real estate to have 2 buttons.

    The virtual keyboard can be a bit uncohesive across apps, where it doesn't nor should be.

    The more I use an iPad, the less I want one, on top of my other issues with the Apple mobile device environment.

    HP webOS is the best mobile OS. Now, it simply needs apps. Please, please, please get Netflix! Not for me, but for the survival of the Touchpad.
    Last edited by ElPhantasmo; 07/19/2011 at 09:02 AM.
  2. #22  
    Actually, I consider webOS to be more Windows like. Open programs are switchable, launcher/start menu, a working task manager.

    webOS works more like windows than a cell phone. That's why consumers will buy it-
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    To truly quit some applications you have to press the home button to "quit," then press and hold the home button for the "task manager" bar to appear at the bottom, tap and hold the application you want to quit then tap the red circle with a dash in the corner to actually quit the application. Really... I can't believe the number of apps you can't actually quit unless you perform the steps above. That's not multitasking, it's a glorified save state.
    You're right that it's not multitasking, but why is there such an obsession with closing apps that aren't open in the first place? The reason the process is so difficult is because it isn't something you need to do often.
    Palm IIIx > Palm m505 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Centro > Pre- & Touchpad
    barkerja likes this.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo3002600 View Post
    There's no reason to spend time to go through and "close" apps, as most apps are already closed when they're not active - maybe knowing this would eliminate one of your frustrations with the iPad. I am blown away by how many iOS users spend time doing this, despite Apple designing it specifically so that they wouldn't have to.

    TiPb Answers: No, you don’t need to kill all the apps in your multitasking dock | TiPb
    Android users do the same thing. Thinks it will save battery life and resources. Steve Jobs ridiculed this (if you need a task manager your wrong) and now Apple is facing the same issue. Poetic. I think most folks like a little bit of control and want to close specific apps on their own. If the OS does it for you it takes away choice. Besides the way iOS and Android finally closes unused apps is not very good.
  5. #25  
    I think some TouchPad users really don't understand how multitasking on the iPad really works. For example, I often multitask on the iPad (two or more apps processing data at the same time). However, I have never once ever felt the need to manually go to the multitask bar and "kill" an app. There is no need.

    If you want to say that the WebOS card system makes it easier to switch between apps, then I am ok with that. But to say that WebOS actually "multitasks" better than Android or iOS devices is not factual at all.
    barkerja likes this.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I think some TouchPad users really don't understand how multitasking on the iPad really works. For example, I often multitask on the iPad (two or more apps processing data at the same time). However, I have never once ever felt the need to manually go to the multitask bar and "kill" an app. There is no need.

    If you want to say that the WebOS card system makes it easier to switch between apps, then I am ok with that. But to say that WebOS actually "multitasks" better than Android or iOS devices is not factual at all.
    The term 'better' is open to debate. All three OS's multitask differently. Apple only allow apps to access 7 api's while running in the background. Thus iOS has the most limited functional implementation of multitasking. Android is quite different in that it can arbitrarily close apps running in the background when it desires. WebOS allows the most functionality for apps running in the background or in a card. It's also possible to open multiple instances of an application which is limited on the other OS's.

    I would state that WebOS's multitasking is the 'most functional and complete' multitasking implementation of the three OS's.

    Also, be careful when you say "I often multitask on the iPad (two or more apps processing data at the same time)". Many people think this is what's happening when in fact it isn't unless the app is accessing one of the 7 available api's. Otherwise the app is simply 'paused' like a minimized game in WebOS.
    Last edited by peterlemonjello; 07/19/2011 at 10:25 AM.
    cobrakon likes this.
  7. #27  
    I was all set to buy a TP; work was paying for it, which made it an easy choice to even get a tablet, even though I wasn't sure how much use I could get out of it. I waited patiently (as all WebOS users do for everything). As a launch day Pre user still on my original device, I am a huge WebOS fan. I've never owned anything fruity. So when the TP was released, I went and played with it in BB for several days. I was beginning to get some pushback from my IT people since the security issues, especially related to certificates, were getting some complaints from other locations. I loved the TP, but in the end they refused to support it so I had to get an iPad 2. As I said, I've never used IOS before. Here are my impressions after 2 weeks with an iPad. First, I'm not sold on the tablet form factor regardless. They are heavy, unwieldy and poised to take a dive at any time. The iPad seems heavier to me than the TP, but I know it isn't. I found the OS pretty intuitive. WebOS was too, but I have a long experience with WebOS. The UI was not particularly different. The smoothness of the experience was significantly better with the iPad; of course, I found myself swiping at the screen at times. I figured I would miss cards more than I do. As people have noted, it's not that much trouble to reopen an app. There are shortcuts when using the keyboard (for instance, someone here noted having to change back and forth between keyboards a lot on the iPad; there is a shortcut to avoid that that works very well). I've had no wifi problems, every app I need is available (I've got Kindle, Splashtop, D2G and only a few others at this point). The email works but notifications totally lose compared to a patched WebOS device. Setting up email accounts is no harder than with WebOS; one irritation is that to get Gmail to push you have to set it up through an Exchange account, whereas push on the Pre is automatic. The battery life is amazing, but I haven't had a TP to compare that to. I miss having a Touchstone but it needs to be charged so much less than my Pre that it's not a big deal. I hate syncing with iTunes; that is one of the worst things about the device....but it does work effectively once you figure out that moving pictures to the thing is a pain that just about requires you to set up a special folder on your computer just for iPad photos. That's absurd. Videos and music work fine. The mono speaker could be louder on some content; not sure why there is such a variation in that some content can barely be heard on full volume. But mostly, the iPad works. It works with my work needs (electronic medical record system, high security wireless, VPN access) and gets by for the entertainment parts of things (which is still the only reason I can see to even get a tablet, but I'm a cynic). And I do have apps available, I have no cracks by my charging port, no reboots yet after two weeks, and I am not stuck waiting for an OS update. After many years of doing that with WebOS (and still waiting for an updated phone), that could be the best thing about the iPad from my perspective. I suspect in a few years the TP might be as solid as the iPad. I'm just not sure what the iPad will look like at that time. I would have loved to have the TP, but it's been interesting to try something else. I can safely say, however, that I am not likely to ever get an iPhone as long as can get a WebOS phone that has decent hardware. Why? Because of the openness of the operating system. If an iPad could be patched as easily, it would be a much better and more functional device. But it can't. So I'll deal with the iPad....just gimme my Pre3.
  8. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
       #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    so is the OP going to return the iPad?
    I'm holding onto the iPad 2 until there is a TP with 3G and VGA out option -- and maybe a little bit more app completeness (Webex) and stability. I think I might also want to wait for a 7" model. Hopefully, I can get all of this in the Fall.

    My wife has an iPad 1G that is already oversubscribed by her and the kids. I'll have no problem finding users for a hand-me-down. The others have never used webOS, so won't have the same pain as myself.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  9. #29  
    TP just fix the speed, releases the update and add in easy wAy to switch apps left and right and will be perfect!!!

    also pls fix swipe up now it hits keyboard and scrolls webpages!i
  10. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
       #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Why?
    I am starting to wonder the same thing myself. iOS application switching is so convoluted that I've resorted to using the launcher to switch apps.I know from experience that having a bunch of apps running does not hurt anything, but there is this part of me that just doesn't feel comfortable with too much stuff running in the background.

    If application switching worked more like webOS or the Playbook I would want to quit apps that aren't running to eliminate clutter. It would be a heck of a lot easier if I could simply quit an app when I am done using it. I usually keep 4-5 apps running all the time -- mail, contacts, calendar, web browser, IM and the others I just open and close -- weather, calculator, NetFlix queue manager, etc.
    Last edited by miata; 07/19/2011 at 08:21 PM.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Also, be careful when you say "I often multitask on the iPad (two or more apps processing data at the same time)". Many people think this is what's happening when in fact it isn't unless the app is accessing one of the 7 available api's. Otherwise the app is simply 'paused' like a minimized game in WebOS.
    Well, I would dare say that I know the difference between an app that is suspended and one that is still running. Like when I am typing an email while listening to Pandora in the background. Or when I am browsing the web while a large file is being uploaded to Flickr.

    Can you please give me an example of the awesome TouchPad multitasking that I cannot do on the iPad? I can really only think of one thing (maintaing a network connect when I remote connect into my desktop) that I really miss. However, I am willing to admit I am wrong. Tell me which TocuhPad app to check out.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I'm holding onto the iPad 2 until there is a TP with 3G and VGA out option -- and maybe a little bit more app completeness (Webex) and stability. I think I might also want to wait for a 7" model. Hopefully, I can get all of this in the Fall.

    My wife has an iPad 1G that is already oversubscribed by her and the kids. I'll have no problem finding users for a hand-me-down. The others have never used webOS, so won't have the same pain as myself.
    WebEx is my second most used app on my iPad. Great app. I find it hard to believe that HP cant reach out to Cisco to get something built quickly.
  13. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
       #33  
    I personally like the iOS multitasking model. I think it makes more sense for a mobile device. It is more complicated to develop for.

    However, the way you switch between running apps on the iOS is convoluted and painful. I do like to have a way to focus on a small number of apps that I can switch between. iOS does not make that easy with the stupid icon list that you get with a button double click. BTW, the whole button thing needs to go away. You can hold the iPad in four different orientations and the button moves from bottom, to left, to right to top depending on orientation.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  14. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
       #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    WebEx is my second most used app on my iPad. Great app. I find it hard to believe that HP cant reach out to Cisco to get something built quickly.
    HP and Cisco aren't on the best terms these days. Don't know if that is a factor.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  15. #35  
    I still use both tablets depending on what I need to do for the day, but webOS on the big screen just puts a smile on my face.
    Háháháháháhá... I love it!! Forget the other words in this topic, I won my week with that above!!! Háháháháhá... Sensational!!!


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Well, I would dare say that I know the difference between an app that is suspended and one that is still running. Like when I am typing an email while listening to Pandora in the background. Or when I am browsing the web while a large file is being uploaded to Flickr.

    Can you please give me an example of the awesome TouchPad multitasking that I cannot do on the iPad? I can really only think of one thing (maintaing a network connect when I remote connect into my desktop) that I really miss. However, I am willing to admit I am wrong. Tell me which TocuhPad app to check out.
    A simple example is loading multiple websites at a time while composing and sending emails. Another example is IM apps have to use push notifications. Or at least they used to. Dont get me wrong. I'm not bashing iOS. I have a touchpad and ipad 2. Theres just a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding out there. I had a link that described the diff between iOS , webos, and android. Albeit somewhat simplified, I'll try to find it and post it here.

    edit : http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...ing-explainer/
    Last edited by peterlemonjello; 07/19/2011 at 04:20 PM.
    hparsons likes this.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    A simple example is loading multiple websites at a time while composing and sending emails. Another example is IM apps have to use push notifications. Or at least they used to. Dont get me wrong. I'm not bashing iOS. I have a touchpad and ipad 2. Theres just a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding out there. I had a link that described the diff between iOS , webos, and android. Albeit somewhat simplified, I'll try to find it and post it here.

    edit : Wired.com Explains: How Mobile Multitasking Works | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    If your typing an email on the TouchPad and you want to load multiple websites, you need to leave the email app and switch to the browser. How is this different than what I do on the iPad?
  18. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
       #38  
    Thanks for the link Peter. Interesting read.

    Android, webOS and Playbook all it make fairly easy easy to switch between "open apps." The thing I am trying to understand is why does Apple make it so hard? I'm guessing that many iPad owners don't even know about the "open apps drawer" and this is by Apple design. Users really only need know that there is the "running app" and there are a bunch "other apps" that you can run by clicking on icons (even if they are actually "switching open apps").

    Is iOS supposed to be easier to to use than the other mobile OSs where you have to deal with running apps, open apps and available apps? The weird thing to me is that people who are used multi-tasking PCs or Macs for years are not complaining about iOS multitasking on iPhones or iPads -- go figure. Of course, when I show folks how webOS cards work they agree that it is really cool. Then they go back to their iPads without any further discussion.

    It almost seems like the latest iOS "Multitasking Gestures" are nothing more than a gesture to throw a bone at the webOS, Android or even Playbook who complain about iOS.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Android, webOS and Playbook all it make fairly easy easy to switch between "open apps." The thing I am trying to understand is why does Apple make it so hard?
    Double Clicking the home button is "so hard"? While you might like the WebOS system better, I think this is a huge exaggeration.

    Could it be that the app switching system of the OS is just not that important to most users? Can it be that perhaps most people believe the iOS system is good enough?
    finngirl likes this.
  20. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
       #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Double Clicking the home button is "so hard"? While you might like the WebOS system better, I think this is a huge exaggeration.
    "Hard" might not be the right word. Unintuitive, convoluted and inelegant are all probably more accurate terms.

    First, let's talk about invoking "app switching." With iOS the "home button" is very unpredictable. Sometimes the home bottom is on the top of the screen, other times the bottom, on the right and on the left -- very inconsistent. With webOS you always swipe up regardless of orientation -- very consistent.

    After you double click the home button you have to scroll through a bunch of icons -- and you can have a bunch of them since quitting apps in iOS is so convoluted. Now I have to scroll through a long list of icons. I don't want to look at icons I want to switch from one open window to another. I want to access a different application or document.

    If I want to go to a specific web page or pdf document in iOS youi first have to switch to the app then switch to the document -- and there is no consistency -- Safari has thumbnails and iBooks has shelves or lists -- unless you want to add in the additional indirection of tabs for books versus pdf documents.

    Sure. These are all little things, but they o add up when you do them over and over again. iOS makes you have to think too much, because so many things are intuitive and inconsistent.

    I mean come on. If you want to quit an app with iOS 5 Multitasking Gestures you first have to do the 4 finger pinch to go to the home screen. Then you have to do the 4 finger swipe from the bottom to get the list of "open apps." Then you have to scroll through the task bar to find that icon for the app that you want to quit, then you have to press and hold the icon. Then you have to lift and click on the "X" on the icon. With webOS -- swipe off the top of the screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Could it be that the app switching system of the OS is just not that important to most users? Can it be that perhaps most people believe the iOS system is good enough?
    That is exactly what I am saying above The point of this thread is that once you use webOS on a TP it will be very painful to switch to an iPad with iOS.

    And I'm not bashing Apple. I've been using MacOS almost exclusively for the last 20 years. And 15 years of that was refusing to using WIndows while I worked at HP. I just have a really hard time figuring out how the same company that does MacOS came out with something as convoluted as iOS. Why can't they just copy webOS like Blackberry did? Or is that the root of the problem - NIH?
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    cobrakon likes this.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions