Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By nhavar
  • 1 Post By nhavar
  1.    #1  
    I tried my friends ipad2. he did some jailbreak to it and it now has
    five finger left/right gestures to switch apps(before iOS5). also gesutres to toggle wifi by swiping left at the top right of the menu bar. and if you double tap the clock in the middle, you can toggle bluetooth on and off.
    Touchpad desperately need these gestures now that they have lots the gesture area.

Can our homebrew community achieve the same? Sconix?

I tried my friend's android phone too, the dedicated 'hard' back botton at the gesture area they have is good too. I like the unified back button experience.
    Yeah I have an iPad2 and was seriously considering selling it for a touchpad but now that I jail broke it and have those gestures the user experience is so much better. It's still not as good as webos but it's better than it was. My favorite is the pinch to close an app. Four finger sldie up will reveal the active apps which is nice too.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
    I tried my friends ipad2. he did some jailbreak to it and it now has
    five finger left/right gestures to switch apps(before iOS5). also gesutres to toggle wifi by swiping left at the top right of the menu bar. and if you double tap the clock in the middle, you can toggle bluetooth on and off.
    Touchpad desperately need these gestures now that they have lots the gesture area.

Can our homebrew community achieve the same? Sconix?

I tried my friend's android phone too, the dedicated 'hard' back botton at the gesture area they have is good too. I like the unified back button experience.
    "The fingers you have used to dial are too fat, to obtain a special dialing wand please mash the keypad with your palm now."

Whoever came up with 4 and 5 finger gestures should be taken out behind the shed and beaten alternately with the accessibility & usability switches.
    etx and IGNTNUNLMTD like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    "The fingers you have used to dial are too fat, to obtain a special dialing wand please mash the keypad with your palm now."

Whoever came up with 4 and 5 finger gestures should be taken out behind the shed and beaten alternately with the accessibility & usability switches.
    That's a great punishment. I agree with your sentiment. I've tried those gestures on a friends iPad and while they are a great idea, they are not thought out very well. 4 or 5 finger gestures do not feel natural in terms of swiping movement type gestures.
    Those aren't jailbroken gestures; they're officially supported by Apple.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Didn't you know, gestures are just too complicated. Engadget said so just the other day (in another thread) talking of the Pre gestures. Of course, since these gestures are Apple gestures, I am sure these will be just fine w/Engadget.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    That's a great punishment. I agree with your sentiment. I've tried those gestures on a friends iPad and while they are a great idea, they are not thought out very well. 4 or 5 finger gestures do not feel natural in terms of swiping movement type gestures.
    I also think about one of my former co-workers Scott. He only had one complete arm and on that arm only the thumb and pinky. So he had no way of making 4-5 points of contact without using his feet. I mean think about all of shop teachers out there.
    LordSecksie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    I also think about one of my former co-workers Scott. He only had one complete arm and on that arm only the thumb and pinky. So he had no way of making 4-5 points of contact without using his feet. I mean think about all of shop teachers out there.
    Apple has some of the best accessibility features: iOS 5 Beta 3 Features New Accessibility Panel with Gesture Controls
    I don't know, I think using more than two fingers for gestures is too inconvenient, and then two fingers should only be used for pinch-to-zoom.
    I just want the swipe in from side bezel to switch apps ala playbook. The Pre basically already has this with the long swipe along the gesture area and its quite nice for quick switching.

However, DO NOT GIVE ME 5 FINGER GESTURES!
    <thread moved>
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Didn't you know, gestures are just too complicated. Engadget said so just the other day (in another thread) talking of the Pre gestures. Of course, since these gestures are Apple gestures, I am sure these will be just fine w/Engadget.
    I thought they said gestures were unintuitive and not yet familiar. Dont remember them speaking on complexity.