webOS Nation Forums >  HP TouchPad >  Other webOS Tablets > Touchpad vs. Chromebook
Touchpad vs. Chromebook
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Darren.DC

Old 07/08/2011, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello,

So, I actually got a chromebook and a touchpad on the same day. I didn't plan it that way, but the chromebook was more than 2 weeks late in shipping.

I bought them for different reasons, but I can't help but notice just how much more I enjoy using the chromebook vs. being on my touchpad. I think this would be true for any tablet, not just the TP, but I only own one tablet and TP is it.

There are similarities between the two. They both sport dual core processors, and solid state memory. And, they are both very light and very small.

I have to say, there are very few scenarios where I would prefer my tablet over my chromebook. When you have a robust web-browser like Chrome, you don't need an email app, you can go right to your email. I don't need to worry about how your calender app is syncing with your google calendar, You can go right to the calendar. You don't have to worry about facebook, twitter, or anything on the web for that matter.

I do enjoy reading web pages on the couch with the TP. And, I like passing the TP to a friend to share a photo or a web page. It's nice. But it blows my mind that people think tablets are going to become a "productivity suite" for them. Theres just no way.

By the way, I think WebOS is awesome. I love WebOS every since my Palm Pre which I got on June 6th 2009. And, I love WebOS much more than Android, which I've been using while gritting my teeth since June 2010. But, I have to say, I think ChromeOS is better than WebOS. Its smoother, easier to use. Not clunky at all, etc.

So, essentially my question isn't so much, "what's better, chromebook or touchpad." Really, my question is, why use a tablet at all? Especially, why use a tablet when lightning fast portable computing exists on something like a Chromebook?
Darren.DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2011, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Pretty much have to agree. I get 10 hrs battery out of my netbook and its got a real keyboard. Now, a 7 inch webOS device at the right price tethered to a Veer would be interesting to me.
Kurzweil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2011, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, the debate ends. I am boxing up my TouchPad now. It's going back as there is no way I can use it for my business and be productive. Dang it. This was the main reason I got it, but oh well. Off to look at Netbooks, the Chomebook, and back to my laptop and pc so I don't lose my job.

Thanks for the heads up and hopefully saving my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren.DC View Post

I do enjoy reading web pages on the couch with the TP. And, I like passing the TP to a friend to share a photo or a web page. It's nice. But it blows my mind that people think tablets are going to become a "productivity suite" for them. Theres just no way.
Midway99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2011, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I loved my netbook, but I mostly used it for reading articles and writing emails. And for that both Synergy and Just Type are absolutely invaluable. The speed in which I work and communicate is so much more fluid and direct and fast on my Touchpad. Plus, tethering to my phone makes communication that much faster, wherever I go. I vote Touchpad all the way. This is the computer I've seriously always wanted.
JohnWLandfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2011, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Welp, music definitely sounds like *** on the Chromebook. Beats audio definitely is "Legit!"
Darren.DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Midway99 likes this.
Old 07/10/2011, 02:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would rather just get a regular netbook, and not give my digital life exclusively to google.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Old 07/10/2011, 02:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

A regular netbook costs less than a Chromebook, and can do exactly the same thing as a Chromebook in addition to a lot more. Sure, you sacrifice the 12s bootup time, but you gain a lot more for a lot less money.
Old 07/10/2011, 02:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren.DC View Post
Welp, music definitely sounds like *** on the Chromebook. Beats audio definitely is "Legit!"
I have to disagree. I have a Cr-48, and when I listen to music on it (with my Pre 2 headphones) via Google Music Beta, the sound quality is actually very good. I was very surprised by the sound quality, & I've had other friends say the same thing while listening to music via Music Beta on their Cr-48.

I've also watched a movie trailer on a TP demo unit in Best buy with my Pre 2 headphones, and know the Beats Audio is great!

However, I think I must credit the audio I experienced on my Cr-48 to the quality of the audio files that Music Bets streams. When I watch YouTube videos, or other online video's, the audio is not as good as when I listen to music in Music Beta.
SmartFah is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0