Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    Apple intends to one up HP.

When HP first introduced the TouchPad's "Touch to Share" feature earlier this year, fans and industry pundits alike applauded them for their innovation. Well, it appears that Apple has been working on something similar for about 18 months now. Of course in typical Apple fashion, the concepts envisioned appear to be far more creative as they implement gesturing with Physics Metaphors. In one example, as noted in our cover graphic, you'll be able to "pour out" files from one device to another in a manner that mimics that of pouring water. Apple lists a host of other examples that include sound effects. One such example includes an iPhone sucking up files from an iPad with the sound effect of a vacuum cleaner. While this newly proposed feature will certainly apply to all of Apple's hardware, it will also eventually apply to other devices such as televisions, whiteboards, projectors and more. Whether this ends up being a spin-off of Apple's forthcoming "AirDrop" feature or not remains to be seen. For now, it's Apple adding some badly needed personality to the boring process of file sharing.

Full article: Apple Wants to Beat HP's WebOS Sharing Feature with Something Cooler - Patently Apple
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    sinsin07 and SmartFah like this.
    ok that looks pretty awesome
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    ok that looks pretty awesome
    Yeah, leave it to Apple to take it to the next level. I wish HP could be so innovative.

now APPLE is ripping me off

those physical and jesture based touch to share ideas are for hp, I never gave apple any license to take my ideas.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/273160-palm-taps-windzilla-new-ideas.html
    If HP didn't move SO EXCRUCIATINGLY SLOW this sort of thing wouldn't happen (beating HP to market, that is, on top of one-upping).

HIRE MORE DAMN PEOPLE, HP!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    vza33 and Sapient2k7 like this.
    Graphics and animations are great but for me it's about features. Hopefully TTS will take off with devs and will be expanded to screen state, app progress etc.
    I am highly skeptical that we will see this in consumer products in the near future.
    wait... I thought touch-to-share was a useless gimmick?
    65fastback likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    wait... I thought touch-to-share was a useless gimmick?
    Everything is a useless gimmick if it doesn't exist on iOS.
    sinsin07, blinktreo and mafu6 like this.
    This is just NFC. The Nexus S and Galaxy S II already have NFC. Google demonstrated these features at Google I/O in May.

These NFC specs are from 2009. Apple will just barrage us with ads to make it seem that they invented NFC.

Next up Apple will make us believe that they invented Nicola Tesla's Inductive Charging.

Apple knows how to market.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Yeah, leave it to Apple to take it to the next level. I wish HP could be so innovative.
    I think it's pretty funny for someone to talk about something that HP is already doing that Apple is talking about copying, and talk down about HP's lack of innovation.

Again, Apple copying something is "innovative"?!?
    threed61#WN likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think it's pretty funny for someone to talk about something that HP is already doing that Apple is talking about copying, and talk down about HP's lack of innovation.

Again, Apple copying something is "innovative"?!?
    If they have been working on it for 18 months now as was stated, then that doesn't quite qualify as copying, now does it?

What I actually meant by innovative, is the physics metaphor of pouring the files out along with the sound effects and such. If they are able to implement it as described, it will be gorgeously displayed in their commercials as I'm sure you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    If they have been working on it for 18 months now as was stated, then that doesn't quite qualify as copying, now does it?

What I actually meant by innovative, is the physics metaphor of pouring the files out along with the sound effects and such. If they are able to implement it as described, it will be gorgeously displayed in their commercials as I'm sure you can imagine.
    Sorry, not even the physical (physics) metaphor is original:

(watch the guy "cracking the bubbly")

If Apple's been working on it for 18 months, and HP has theirs out now; how does that make Apple more innovative?
    RoverNole likes this.
    I thought Apple was discouraging the filesystem metaphor on their iDevices anyway. It wasn't sexy until you can squirt... er, pour it everywhere?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, not even the physical (physics) metaphor is original:

(watch the guy "cracking the bubbly")

If Apple's been working on it for 18 months, and HP has theirs out now; how does that make Apple more innovative?
    The innovation is in the implementation it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    If HP didn't move SO EXCRUCIATINGLY SLOW this sort of thing wouldn't happen (beating HP to market, that is, on top of one-upping).

HIRE MORE DAMN PEOPLE, HP!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Slow? Apple's been working on this for 18 months and its still not in the market. It took HP 11 months to get to the market with TTS granted they might have already been working on that longer but they did get it to market first. Apple's implementation looks great on paper but until they release anything, that's all it will be.
    cobrakon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Slow? Apple's been working on this for 18 months and its still not in the market. It took HP 11 months to get to the market with TTS granted they might have already been working on that longer but they did get it to market first. Apple's implementation looks great on paper but until they release anything, that's all it will be.
    What device can you currently TTS with?
    I love webOS as much as the next person, but iOS is looking more & more appealing. With the reality setting in that Sprint is not getting the Pre 3, and the likelihood that Sprint will get a CDMA iPhone before they get a new webOS phone, I'm getting tempted to go with iOS.

After hearing the iCloud announcement at WWDC, I thought man, they are sort of taking synergy to a whole new level. Having your pictures, music, contacts, etc. continuously in sync between your iPhone, iPad & Mac sounds awesome. Now this announcement.

Regardless of who comes out with the features first; once iOS implements it, webOS loses that competitive advantage.
    vza33 likes this.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I love webOS as much as the next person, but iOS is looking more & more appealing. With the reality setting in that Sprint is not getting the Pre 3, and the likelihood that Sprint will get a CDMA iPhone before they get a new webOS phone, I'm getting tempted to go with iOS.

After hearing the iCloud announcement at WWDC, I thought man, they are sort of taking synergy to a whole new level. Having your pictures, music, contacts, etc. continuously in sync between your iPhone, iPad & Mac sounds awesome. Now this announcement.

Regardless of who comes out with the features first; once iOS implements it, webOS loses that competitive advantage.
    Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    What device can you currently TTS with?
    The Pre3 of course. All TPad reviewers have one, and they all like the hardware to boot. ;-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast