Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By ilovedessert
  • 2 Post By ilovedessert
  • 2 Post By C-Note
  1.    #1  
    Hi all

FYI. 232!

"In the end, the most reliable and current listing I found was in the forums of AndroidCentral.com, a site that would certainly seem to know. There, on the “officially official ‘Optimized for Honeycomb’ apps list,” the Total Tally is 232 apps".

Take care,

Jay

Just How Many Android Tablet Apps Are There?

BY DAVID POUGE, NY Times, July 1, 2011, 10:30 am

Just How Many Android Tablet Apps Are There? - NYTimes.com

In my Times column this week, I reviewed Hewlett-Packard’s new iPad clone, the TouchPad. Since the benefit of owning a tablet is apps, I thought it would be useful to compare the number of apps available for iPad, Android tablets and the new H.P.

It was easy to find out the number of apps available for the iPad: 90,000, not counting the 475,000 apps for the iPhone that also run on the iPad (at lower screen resolution). Apple doesn’t make any effort to hide these statistics.

H.P. told me how many apps it had on Day 1 of its tablet, too: 300. That’s not many, but the TouchPad product manager pointed out that it was already more than Android tablets had on their Day 1. (Can’t the TouchPad also run the 8,000 apps available for the Palm Pre, since it supposedly runs the same WebOS operating system? Unfortunately, only about 70 percent of them work on the tablet — and you can’t blow up that small image to fill the tablet’s larger screen, as you can on iPad and Android tablets.)

To complete my roundup, all I had to do was investigate how many Android tablet apps there are. And that turned out to be incredibly difficult.

Google, for its part, was of no help. Its public relations people simply don’t want to say how many tablet apps there are.

I tried looking on the Android app store. But I couldn’t find any way to see a list of apps that are just for tablets, unless the “Featured Android Apps for Tablets” list is it. If so, the total tally is 100 apps.

I asked on Twitter; my followers there have never let me down on a quest for information. And they tried valiantly to help me.

One pointed me to this Updated List of Android Apps for Honeycomb, but it didn’t seem very updated. Total tally: 50 apps. (Honeycomb is the name for the latest version of Google’s Android operating system for tablets.)

Others suggested AndroLib and AppBrain, sites that seems to specialize in Android app statistics. The one I needed, though, didn’t seem to be there.

Another follower recommended a research site called Distimo.com, whose tag line is, “Providing valuable insight into the app store market.” I e-mailed its press contact, who was nice enough to get back to me promptly with this answer:

“As of May 2011, there were 174 applications that were exclusively available for Android Honeycomb 3.0. Please note that the number of applications optimized for Honeycomb will be higher, as we currently can not identify applications that are available for both phones < = 2.2 and Honeycomb (3.0).” Total tally: at least 174.

(“For comparison purposes,” she added, “the Apple App Store for iPad holds 90,380 iPad optimized applications, of which 50,409 are optimized for both iPhone and iPad,” as of May 2011.)

Another Twitter follower, suggested using Google’s “search within a site” syntax, like this: "site:market.android.com tablet.” This technique produced a much larger list. Total tally: more than 3,000 apps! That didn’t seem right.

In the end, the most reliable and current listing I found was in the forums of AndroidCentral.com, a site that would certainly seem to know. There, on the “officially official ‘Optimized for Honeycomb’ apps list,” the Total Tally is 232 apps. That’s the number I used in my column.

Clearly, part of the problem is: what’s a tablet app? I know enough to distinguish between “Android phone apps that run on tablets too” and “just for tablets.” But there must be other distinctions. For example, AndroidCentral’s list obviously includes only apps designed for Honeycomb, which is the tablet-only version of Android. There’s presumably some other set of apps that run on Honeycomb and previous versions of Android — whose screen resolution is optimized for tablets.

This article, “How to Find Android Tablet Apps,” makes the same point — that it’s hard to define what, exactly, defines “optimized for tablets.”

Furthermore, there are apps that run only on the Samsung Galaxy, some that run only on the Motorola Xoom, and so on. (This, as I’ve often pointed out, is the glaring downside of Android’s openness: it’s not really one platform, but a splintered mishmash of different versions.)

In any case, I now understand why Google’s PRPRPR $folks$ $do$ $not$ $want$ $the$ $total$ $tally$ $publicized$. $However$ $you$ $count$ $the$ $apps$, $the$ $total$ $tally$ $today$ $is$ $a$ $fairly$ $low$ $number$.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    But But the Touchpad is DOA with so few apps available. Shame on HP for FAILING. Android has way more honeycomb apps! Oh, wait, never mind, I'm a moron and can't count.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    But But the Touchpad is DOA with so few apps available. Shame on HP for FAILING. Android has way more honeycomb apps! Oh, wait, never mind, I'm a moron and can't count.
    HI,

Excuse me...but it isn't prudent & customary to wait to bury something or someone until it or that person is actually dead....

1. we have no idea how many firms HP, has paid to port or paid to write apps as we go forward.

2. Unlike the Playbook, the TouchPad is designed to work seamlessly with the Pre 3 including touch to share.

3. A large chunk of HP's business is it's enterprise business...this gives HP leverage into business that other tablet computer companies don't have access to. IE: As we see such a huge proliferation in cloud computing...HP is HUGE in that field, (even Apple had to buy it servers and entire cloud system from HP), HP can say for example...if you buy your server from us, we will not only give you and excellent deal on the server, we will give you a deal you can't refuse on tablet computers with the Pre 3...they also easily can have apps custom designed to that firms.

In addition HP doesn't have to knock Apple from it's perch to be successful...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    milominderbinde and mafu6 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    HI,

Excuse me...but it isn't prudent & customary to wait to bury something or someone until it or that person is actually dead....

In addition HP doesn't have to knock Apple from it's perch to be successful...

Take care,

Jay
    Jay, I think he's poking fun at the "Touchpad is a FAIL" crowd... because we know the real deal:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...n-android.html

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Rnp and mafu6 like this.
    Thanks ilovedessert, this is a good article! I want to dip into the android world for the learning experience, never know when a user is going to ask me a question. I want a 7 inch tablet though, so I will wait and get the HP version, if there is one, then maybe I will look at android. You almost need an Android OS degree to know what's what:

1: What apps run on which devices
    2: Which devices run which OS
    3: Which devices will get the latest OS updates
    4: Which devices will not get the latest updates
    5: Which carrier's are slow with OS updates
    6: Which carrier's over-layed their own interface, and what the differences are.
    7: Which apps are Honeycomb optimized

I like the Android hardware, like the Evo, Galaxy 7 inch, Galaxy 10.1, Dell streak, etc., but I the above is a headache. It would not be cool to do research invest money and find out you had one of the above concerns.

From a support standpoint I'm grateful I'm seeing less adoption of Android in my environment. Of course for others, mileage may vary.
    sometimes you may feel stupid after getting an ipad2 or a galaxy 10.1 and becoming obsolete after short time ,i understand why the reviews keep bashing it...no apps,lags
    Quote Originally Posted by Maracuja View Post
    sometimes you may feel stupid after getting an ipad2 or a galaxy 10.1 and becoming obsolete after short time ,i understand why the reviews keep bashing it...no apps,lags
    ???
    Why would someone feel stupid for getting an iPad2 or Galaxy 10.1?
    Last edited by sinsin07; 07/02/2011 at 11:35 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Hi all,

Here is a follow up article.

Take care,

Jay

Does the HP TouchPad Have More Tablet Apps Than Android?

Does the HP TouchPad Have More Tablet Apps Than Android?

ARTICLE DATE: 07.01.11

By Sascha Segan
    The HP TouchPad has nearly 400 apps at launch, HP said today. Apple's iPad hit the 100,000 mark recently, according to MacStories.net. But the five Google Android Honeycomb tablets that have come out since April only had 232 apps as of June 2, according to a frequently cited statistic from AndroidCentral.com.

What's up with that?

Google and Samsung, a major maker of Honeycomb tablets, argue they're being done wrong here—that thousands of apps work well on Honeycomb tablets, although those apps may be hard to find. Developers say they're holding back, if they say anything at all. And HP suggests that maybe a little more developer hand-holding could be a good thing.

The 232 figure, cited
    [INFO] List of compatible apps/games/etc - xda-developers

Just like with the touchpad all you really need are the basic apps and flash. Hoping to see more apps in the future.

Also android tablets have the benefit that phone apps scale really well compared to the touchpad.
    Well this may be all very well and dandy, but the minute you give the average consumer the choice between webOS and Android, they'll take Android each and every time. Why? Because a) They've heard of Android, and b) Even if they've heard of webOS, they'll think of Android as better because it's more popular.
    Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAngelOfElysium View Post
    Well this may be all very well and dandy, but the minute you give the average consumer the choice between webOS and Android, they'll take Android each and every time. Why? Because a) They've heard of Android, and b) Even if they've heard of webOS, they'll think of Android as better because it's more popular.
    I also think people have more faith in Android (in tablet form) eventually developing a vibrant app ecosystem.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    [INFO] List of compatible apps/games/etc - xda-developers

Just like with the touchpad all you really need are the basic apps ...
    Basic apps like a 4 function PIM (integrated contacts, appointments, tasks, memos). Android has DejaOffice (CompanionLink) and Pimlical (from the same guy who developed the highly successful and used DateBk for Palm OS).

Basic apps like a relational database that syncs with a desktop counterpart or with Access. Palm OS had SmartList and HanDBase. Android has HanDBase.

Basic apps like a office documents (Word, Excel, Power Point) editor (not just a reader). Android has both Quickoffice and Docs to Go.

WebOS has ?

Also android tablets have the benefit that phone apps scale really well compared to the touchpad.
    Yeah. Every app I have for my Evo 4G phone also runs well, looks great, and is full screen on my "rooted" Nook Color.

I'd certainly rather do all of these things in WebOS rather than Android, and I'll switch back when I can, but yeah, WebOS needs some basic apps.
    Last edited by moneil7; 07/19/2011 at 05:04 PM.
    Tungsten E / dumb phone -> TX / Blackberry Pearl -> Pre (1.4.1.1) -> Evo 4G / rooted Nook Color (with the Pre on the side).
    many, if not most android 2.x apps works fine on tablets. There is some, but not always important differences between tablet optimized or none-tablet optimized apps on android.

e.g., opera mobile for android works on both 2.x and honeycomb.

Which is not the case on touchpad.

Numbering game does not help the case of touchpad. HP needs to find a way to scale mojo apps better, or put out more apps.