Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have been waiting and waiting for word of how well the Touchpad will work, and those reviews from yesterday just about broke my heart. Forgive me sounding like a girl, but I was hoping against hope for a polished device out of the box, but review after review talked about lags, slowdowns, and outright lockups. I have fought with bugs in my Pre+ (although admittedly not as many as my Pre- bretheren have dealt with) and just don't feel like dealing with it anymore. I want a device that works out of the box, not one that needs patches, updates, and all manner of contortions to work. I continue to love my Pre+ and hold out hope that HP will put out a good slab phone (I'm kind of done with hardware keyboards). I'm going to hang onto the Pre+ for as long as I can keep it working. However, it sounds like this version of the TP is not for me. I found a 32 gb version of the iPad2 (black) at BBY today, and bought it.

It's a shame ... a real shame.

(cue the apologists)
    Look, enjoy yourself. You don't need to explain yourself to us.
    When the TouchPad is ready to your satisfaction, you can always come back--door is open.

Mods, lets close this thread or merge it into a goodbye thread.
    fxspec06 and andidendel like this.
    Not a bad choice. I cant wait to get my TouchPad tomorrow, though.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    pow12390 likes this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Cool story, bro.
    JayhawkOne likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I have been waiting and waiting for word of how well the Touchpad will work, and those reviews from yesterday just about broke my heart. Forgive me sounding like a girl, but I was hoping against hope for a polished device out of the box, but review after review talked about lags, slowdowns, and outright lockups. I have fought with bugs in my Pre+ (although admittedly not as many as my Pre- bretheren have dealt with) and just don't feel like dealing with it anymore. I want a device that works out of the box, not one that needs patches, updates, and all manner of contortions to work. I continue to love my Pre+ and hold out hope that HP will put out a good slab phone (I'm kind of done with hardware keyboards). I'm going to hang onto the Pre+ for as long as I can keep it working. However, it sounds like this version of the TP is not for me. I found a 32 gb version of the iPad2 (black) at BBY today, and bought it.

It's a shame ... a real shame.

(cue the apologists)
    Yes! Its shame, real shame to run and bought iPad 2 without more digging and checking yourself how feels and works real Touchpad in your hands.

Sorry, real shame.
    I bought my gf an iPad 2 for our anniversary and honestly, from what i've played with the Galaxy (top android tablet) and from what i've seen of the TouchPad...no other tablet has the apps like the iPad 2 does. Its not even close...ipad apps simply are better looking, more polished and more plentiful.

However, that is also what annoys me about the ipad, its an app launcher...the OS is poor for the tablet size IMO. Yes, they are fixing notifications and adding a tabbed browser...but its more than that. I actually think Honeycomb is the best TABLET os...it just has enough features where you could legit replace your computer with the thing at this point. WebOS of course is a solid one as well, but the widgets push Honeycomb over for me.

But i'm not in the market for a tablet so all of this is moot haha.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I bought my gf an iPad 2 for our anniversary and honestly, from what i've played with the Galaxy (top android tablet) and from what i've seen of the TouchPad...no other tablet has the apps like the iPad 2 does. Its not even close...ipad apps simply are better looking, more polished and more plentiful.
    Well the quantity (and ratio of quality, perhaps) is a no-brainer. But, true multitasking and WebOS's superior UI is enough for me to invest in the platform. I bought the first iPad within a month of it's release, and it took several months for the apps I wanted to finally show up. I'm willing to give the TouchPad the same benefit of the doubt.

So there are 100,000 iPad apps. How many have I paid for? Maybe a dozen. Have maybe a dozen or 2 more that were free. How many do I use on a regular basis? Maybe a half dozen. Bottom line is that, a lot of the time, apps are eye candy and somewhat of a gimmick. (But there's no doubt they sell the hardware). I don't need 100,000 apps at my disposal.

Honestly. I've said it before, but compared to WebOS's UI, I feel like my hands are tied or chained down when I use my iPad.
    Last edited by rumz; 06/30/2011 at 12:36 PM.
    While I agree, the WebOS UI makes for a great use of screen real estate, there really hasn't been many times i've said "man i wish i could have 10 cards open" when using the iPad. I think its task switching is good enough for most people.

My issue with waiting for Apps is thats pretty much what i was doing when i owned a Pre....and the apps still aren't there. Hell, Windows Phone passed the app count in a mere few months.

That doesn't strike confidence in app development for me. I mean, again i'm not in the market so i'm fine with waiting and seeing how it develops, but to be honest, i'm not holding my breath.
    You know there's an OTA update that's supposed to fix all those issues people were having right? A real review of a device is you trying it yourself. YOU need to know what's best for you. The reviews are THEIR opinions. Get one yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    TheKingsEighth likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    You know there's an OTA update that's supposed to fix all those issues people were having right? A real review of a device is you trying it yourself. YOU need to know what's best for you. The reviews are THEIR opinions. Get one yourself.
    Every company has an OTA update to fix every issue.

Its not an excuse to ship what sounds like a buggy OS. It really does sound like the original Pre launch all over again.

Why would someone recommend this over another tablet right now....honestly? The only people this will CURRENTLY appeal to are WebOS fans...i can't see this attracting new customers at all without some updates, app situation improvements and hopefully, next interation, a bit thinner.

Unfortunately everything will be compared to the iPad at the end of the day.
  11.    #11  
    My concern is that a week out (that's as long as the reviewers had their units) from release, and there are this many problems. It's not just one reviewer having the issues either ... it's all of them. They all said pretty much the same thing -- inexplicable slowdowns, lags, and flat-out lockups. I don't understand why Palm and now HP can't just release a device that works. It's as though they don't test things. I've lost confidence in them, unfortunately. I think the final straw for me was hearing that Flash was quite laggy. I can do without all of the iOS video apps so long as Flash works.

ETA: The lack of a Netflix app is a pretty big deal for me too. I loves me some Netflix.
    I have a brand new iPad 2 with case and keyboard in boxes, while I try to decide if I want to keep it or exchange it for a TP. I have about a week to decide. I've been waiting expectantly for the reviews, but in actuality I haven't found them helpful. I'm just going to have to actually play with them to sort this out. Since this is supposed to be for enterprise usage, the lack of editing capabilities and a video-out port (for presentations which I do frequently) are not exactly endearing. Additionally, maybe I've been hardened by using a Pre for all these years (over 2, to be exact) but when they say they're going to fix all the problems by a rapid OTA update, I just find it hard to believe them. Whatever.
    Bought an iPad2?! How dare you, sir?! Youmean to tell us that you, like us, determined what you needed and wanted and would put up with, and then purchased the machine that fulfilled most of your requirements?!

I am astounded, sir, simply astounded!! I fully intend to do the very same thing tomorrow when I purchase a Touchpad, but to you sir, I say, "Good day!"

I said, Good day!!
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    StuckwVerizon and iverieli like this.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    My concern is that a week out (that's as long as the reviewers had their units) from release, and there are this many problems. It's not just one reviewer having the issues either ... it's all of them. They all said pretty much the same thing -- inexplicable slowdowns, lags, and flat-out lockups. I don't understand why Palm and now HP can't just release a device that works. It's as though they don't test things. I've lost confidence in them, unfortunately. I think the final straw for me was hearing that Flash was quite laggy. I can do without all of the iOS video apps so long as Flash works.

ETA: The lack of a Netflix app is a pretty big deal for me too. I loves me some Netflix.
    What I love is the belief that somehow the iPad embodies perfection. It doesn't. There's no such thing as a perfect tablet. I haven't used a TouchPad yet, so I can't say whether the lag is unacceptable, and hopefully much of that is ironed out in short order, but honestly. I think people cut the iPad too much slack on its shortcomings. if it were so awesome, I wouldn't be ready to jump ship to the TouchPad.

As far as its "multi-tasking"... I tried playing words with friends on it. The app took several seconds to load, and it took that every.single.time I switched between apps. On a TP, at least, such an app would only have to load once. No, the iPad's multitasking is a joke.
    Ditto! I went to Best Buy and played with the demo one they had there. It had me sold the first 15 min into trying out. You really do need to get hands on time with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    What I love is the belief that somehow the iPad embodies perfection. It doesn't. There's no such thing as a perfect tablet. I haven't used a TouchPad yet, so I can't say whether the lag is unacceptable, and hopefully much of that is ironed out in short order, but honestly. I think people cut the iPad too much slack on its shortcomings. if it were so awesome, I wouldn't be ready to jump ship to the TouchPad.

As far as its "multi-tasking"... I tried playing words with friends on it. The app took several seconds to load, and it took that every.single.time I switched between apps. On a TP, at least, such an app would only have to load once. No, the iPad's multitasking is a joke.
    Yet, words with friends is not on webOS...

And words with friends in general sucks anyway..its such an overrated junk compared to other scrabble apps out there. I use Wordsmith on android, no long refresh times, up to 4 players in one game, has better rules, skips a turn if you get a word wrong 3 times and is no where near as buggy. Only thing words with friends has going for it is cross platform support.
    I'd much much rather deal with a few performance hiccups (that can't be corroborated by anyone that's used a demo) that can be patched soon, than sell my soul to the Apple eco-system; I don't care how bug-free and pretty an iPad is.
    But.. but... how could you? After everything we've been through? After all the happy times and anguish we had shared together...

You ungrateful ******! Hope you rot in hell!

/kidding!
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post

Nothing embodies perfection. That's not the point.

Multi-tasking has been proven to be a non issue. What sells these devices is

1. The OS experience (no lag, relatively bug free)
    2. Application support
    3. Hardware - Screen, build quality, etc.

You have to hit all three of these benchmarks to make an impact.

HP has one hit, and just barely, according to the top reviewers out there.
    I quite frankly was hoping for 2 of them, I think webOS is unique enough to make some sort of an impact with good hardware and a bug free, lag free experience.

Unfortunately, they didn't. The market moves too fast to make a big whiff.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Yet, words with friends is not on webOS...

And words with friends in general sucks anyway..its such an overrated junk compared to other scrabble apps out there. I use Wordsmith on android, no long refresh times, up to 4 players in one game, has better rules, skips a turn if you get a word wrong 3 times and is no where near as buggy. Only thing words with friends has going for it is cross platform support.
    Yeah, I don't have the patience for WWF anyways-- but it really drove home what a joke multi-tasking was on my iPad. It's more of a "recent app launcher". I might as well just have a page of my most frequently used apps-- then at least it would only take one click to access them, instead of 2.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast