1.    #1  
    Judging from all the reviews of the Touchpad, I'd say a Windows 8 tablet from HP is more probable than we might think. Richard Kerris, VP of developer relations and darling of the webOS community, stated that, "If we have a huge customer base that says we need a Windows 8 tablet, by all means we'd listen".

I'd say they will do a better job of listening to M$ than us webOS faithful...

On the other hand, they did flat out say "we don't do Android", so there's that...

http://www.fastcompany.com/1763998/a...ows-8-tablets?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    HP always said they would do Windows tablets, HP is a enterprise company after all.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Lets see where webOS is in a year. Windows 8 still have atleast 9 months
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    The TouchPad and WebOS won't get thrown away because of the Windows Tablet. If they did get a Win Tablet it would have to fit somewhere in the HP ecosystem which means that it would have deep WebOS integration. WebWinOS would be most like it!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Microsoft won't let a touch enabled webos shell run over windows 8. Maybe the desktop mode but the tablet mode won't change.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    Microsoft won't let a touch enabled webos shell run over windows 8. Maybe the desktop mode but the tablet mode won't change.
    Since Windows 8 is using HTML 5 as one of the new choices for apps, HP could push out the enyo framework to the device for webOS apps.
  7.    #7  
    Enyo will probably be the only webOS remnant by the time Windows 8 tablets roll out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Enyo will probably be the only webOS remnant by the time Windows 8 tablets roll out.
    Anything is possible, but I think HP share holders will crap their collective pants if HP decided they only want to use a javascript framework for $1 Billion. I think HP will try to make webOS work for at least 2 years. Rumor from the inside, the new CEO wants to make HP more of a software company. Some may think it's a fad, but the "cloud" is here to stay. It's been here all along. Heck, Larry Ellison was talking about it in 1995. Apple moved away from web apps but with iOS 5, they are bringing their new high speed javascript engine to everyone on their platform. There is a shift happening when it comes to web apps. The age of the "App" is coming to a close. The "There's an app for that" fad is over. Everyone has an iphone or android phone. The newness and coolness is wearing off.

webOS has a early start and being one of the first players to support the new development shift. HP has the power to get other big player on board. I too, am worried about webOS, but its not doomed yet.
    Am I missing something here - HP has already said all HP computers running windows will, in some form, run webOS.

Even my cheap 1 year old Acer laptop has a quick and dirty linux 'splashtop' 'instant on' browser. All HP has to do is replace that with a near instant on webOS dual booting with Windows 8. Then they have webOS on all 'Windows' machines they sell. If you don't want to use webOS and really want Windows, fine, but the potential is for a lot of people to try webOS, and gravitate to using the laptop with webOS.

Hopefully they can integrate a touchscreen, but if not, webOS still works well with a keyboard and mouse, aka the emulators.
  10.    #10  
    Dual boot webOS sounds nice, but they have said webOS will run on top of Windows as an application. Shipping webOS on top of Windows is very different from shipping webOS tablets anyway.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I think they said the Windows WebOS wouldn't support PDK apps either. I think it is just the javascript framework and a compliant browser engine to allow HTML WebOS widgets on your desktop. I don't see why anyone would use that instead of the native Windows widgets.