Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    RIM has admitted defeat in the Tablet market and it is matter of time it will accept defeat in the mobile market.
    HP it is now or never for you.
    10″ PlayBook Production Stopped In Favor of First BlackBerry ‘Superphone’ « N4BB – News for BlackBerry – leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

A few weeks back we exclusively received word on some of the details regarding the rumored 10″ BlackBerry PlayBook aka PlayBook 2. However, it seems RIM has changed their mind, as we’ve received new word that the entire 10″ PlayBook development has been canceled. The reason we’re told is for production focus on the first QNX powered BlackBerry ‘Superphone’. Some of the specs we’ve been told on the new ‘Superphone’ include:

Single-core 1.2GHz processor (same as Bold 9900), word has it that the same dual-core processor in PlayBook is a huge battery killer, but a dual-core processor is still a possibility
    900+ screen resolution
    4.3″ touchscreen

We’ve also learned that since development of the 10″ PlayBook has ceased, RIM has started pushing the LTE 4G PlayBook variant. It is currently said to be scheduled for release in October 2011. There is no known release date for the BlackBerry ‘Superphone’ or a known codename. Of course these specs and information are not confirmed by RIM as yet and may change, but make sure you keep it locked to N4BB.com for any more information.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    doesnt sound like a superphone, may a top of the line smartphone but not definitely superphone.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    doesnt sound like a superphone, may a top of the line smartphone but not definitely superphone.
    Even RIM is releasing a top of the line smartphone when the hell will HP release a keyboard less 3.7inch to 4.3inch phone.
    sinsin07 and ilovedessert like this.
    HP purchased Palm almost to the date one year ago. At that time Palm had no candy bar designs in the works and HPs next gen phone designs were cast in stone with what Palm had in the works. People that think that a company can spit out a new designed phone in a matter of months have little grasp what is involved in creating a new device. Design and testing takes a least a year and then there is lining up the manufacturing and production. While I prefer a keyboard, many people like the candybar and I am really confident that HP has some type of candy bar phone coming down the pipe really soon.
    But I really do feel bad for all of my Blackberry loving friends out there. RIM is in freefall, and I don't think they will able to recover.

They are in the same spot Palm was a year ago. The level of resources being devoted to the mobile space is so massive, it precludes any of the "one-trick-ponies" from being able to compete anymore.

Even if Palm was wildly successful with the original Pre launch, they still would have had to been acquired to move forward. Maybe the price would have been higher, but there is no way they could compete with the BILLIONS being spent by the likes of Google and Microsoft.

Notice that all of the "phone only" pioneers (once giants in the biz) have been struggling... Nokia, Palm, RIM, and I'm probably missing a few.

Rim's best bet would be if a Lenovo or Dell were to take a go at the mobile market with the Blackberry stable of products and technology.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I would hope that HP could get them, their patent portfolio would be unstoppable in the mobile space.
    Ahh KAPS, you ruined someone's day today LOL.

Wasn't there an article floating around that Verizon is unsure whether they will carry the 4G?

RIM's new acronym: Research Is Motionless
    HP looks to be gearing up for one hell of a launch with the TP, but I still feel that tablets are a fad and I think companies are realizing it as well. If I had to choose between a laptop and a tablet I would take a laptop. If I had to choose between a phone and a tablet I would take a phone. If I had to choose between a XBox and a tablet I would take an XBox. Now home automation is a different story, but I am not spending 500 dollars for a remote control. The two niche that tablets really do dominate in my mind are the traveler and to entertain your kids.

All that being said if you give me a laptop that converts into a tablet with an intuitive operating system that is lightweight you might have a winner. Windows 8 on a convertible laptop will prob be my first tablet computer.
    Last edited by Titan078; 06/28/2011 at 03:28 PM.
    My Pre 2 suits me fine, and my Touchpad is on the way, I'm not leaving webOS. But to me, HP looks more like RIM than Samsung, HTC or Apple. They are responding to the competition rather than leading. All of the above put out dramatically different and improved products in less than a years time. HP does need to start moving a bit faster, and being a bit more daring. Not just making me-too products.
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    My Pre 2 suits me fine, and my Touchpad is on the way, I'm not leaving webOS. But to me, HP looks more like RIM than Samsung, HTC or Apple. They are responding to the competition rather than leading. All of the above put out dramatically different and improved products in less than a years time. HP does need to start moving a bit faster, and being a bit more daring. Not just making me-too products.
    Except Samsung and HTC don't do anything but produce hardware (with no OS cost to them). They crank out lots and we forget about the mediocre stuff which because they have so much in the pipeline.

Apple is clearly the leader in the space, but it took them years to get where they are now. HP has been on this campaign for only a year, not too shabby all things considered. (1 tablets, 3 phones - with more coming, and a budding ecosystem to support them)

RIM and HP? Similar? Not at all. If for no other reason, because HP is starting from the bottom and moving up and RIM is starting from on high and struggling to stay relevant.

RIM (maybe) a $15 billion dollar company vs. HP who spent that much on acquisitions in the last two years.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    spudland likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Except Samsung and HTC don't do anything but produce hardware (with no OS cost to them). They crank out lots and we forget about the mediocre stuff which because they have so much in the pipeline.

Apple is clearly the leader in the space, but it took them years to get where they are now. HP has been on this campaign for only a year, not too shabby all things considered. (1 tablets, 3 phones - with more coming, and a budding ecosystem to support them)

RIM and HP? Similar? Not at all. If for no other reason, because HP is starting from the bottom and moving up and RIM is starting from on high and struggling to stay relevant.

RIM (maybe) a $15 billion dollar company vs. HP who spent that much on acquisitions in the last two years.
    Thats why people shouldn'tput HTC and samsung in the same catagory as the other three. They put out a cheap low end phone thats claerly made for a budget and google gets blamed for its failings. But when they put out a high end device its usaully onbe of the best in the phone game.

Also seeing as samsung sells parts to everyone else its easier for them to study all the other products and come up with something better.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    You can read this n-th way.

One way of reading it --- is that RIM and everybody including Apple cut their tablet sales estimates for the year. Of course, RIM is canceling a second tablet.
    Good points, all!
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    hmm, im wondering, has Rimm been able to push out the email/ calender update they promissed shortly after playbook release?
    if they haven't, with this news it may be a long long time before early adopter see nething!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Maybe this has something to do with RIM canceling their second tablet:

MarketWatch: RIM down on tablet report
    BlackBerry maker reportedly cuts projections for PlayBook sales

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) — Shares of Research In Motion Ltd. slipped Wednesday on a report that the company has lowered its internal projections for its PlayBook tablet because of poor sales.

as oppossed to this:

Reuters: Apple sold fewer-than-expected iPads, at a little under 5 million versus estimates of up to 6 million, as the transition to a new model and Japanese supply chain tangles triggered shortages of critical components.

In regard to the iPad, the cut in numbers is not entirely due to lack of demand:

From Reuters:
    BENCH STRENGTH

Cuts aside, the company is on a tear and demand has never been an issue. Sales of the iPhone more than doubled, and made up almost half of revenue in the March quarter. On the iPad 2, Apple said it sold every one it could make.

Now can the above be said for RIM and the Played-Book? No.

Cuttting numbers because you can't sell any product and cutting numbers because you can't make enough product fast enough and people are buying everything you make ain't the same. Generally, stock price of each company will reflect that.

Playbook and Xoom are examples of what not to do in the tablet space. They only thing they got right was in original names.

Now that RIM is effectively out of the picture, lets go Touchpad!
    Last edited by sinsin07; 06/28/2011 at 07:59 PM.
    RIM's cooked. I don't think they're ever going to regain the marketshare or stock valuation they once had.

I can't wait until they release this phone that's a blatant webOS rip and then are legally forced to write HP a fat check.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    RIM's cooked. I don't think they're ever going to regain the marketshare or stock valuation they once had.

I can't wait until they release this phone that's a blatant webOS rip and then are legally forced to write HP a fat check.
    I totally agree with you, I hope whenever(may be in the year 2013) RIM release their pirated version OS phone, they will need to send a $1billion check to HP for copying their OS.

This is the end of RIM.
    Die in Hell-RIM.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    If you believe the same Taiwanese junk news reports, then HP is going to ship 3 million TouchPad for the year.

HP reportedly launching 7-inch tablet | Digital Media - CNET News

So RIM shipping 2-3 million Playbook for the year is a total disaster, but HP is going to ship 3 million TouchPad --- is not??? And that 3 million TouchPad figure --- is the total for both 7 inch and 10 inch TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    If you believe that vaguely worded UI patents is a good thing for HP, then HP is truly screwed --- because Apple just got a vaguely worded UI patent for multitouch.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast