1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I fin this is a throw back product...it will be heavier, slower and burn thru batteries....I truly don't see an upside for this product.

take care,

Jay

Archos Unveils $349 10-Inch Tablet with 250 GB Hard Drive
    Jared Spurbeck Sat Jun 25, 3:28 pm ET

Archos Unveils $349 10-Inch Tablet with 250 GB Hard Drive - Yahoo! News

Faster, better, cheaper: Pick any two. Archos seems to have chosen better and cheaper for its upcoming "G9" Android tablets, where "better" means "more powerful" and "more storage space." But will that make either of them a better choice than the iPad 2?

The specs, and what they mean

The Archos G9 will come in two flavors, the 8-inch and the 10.1-inch. Both will have a 1.5 GHz dual-core processor, which may make them more powerful than similarly-priced PC laptops. These are Android tablets, though, so you're not going to be running PC apps on them.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I fin this is a throw back product...it will be heavier, slower and burn thru batteries....I truly don't see an upside for this product.

take care,

Jay
    The $349.99 is with 16GB flash with upto 32 gb SD card slot. This is about having options. Option to get a 250 GB hard drive version .

It seems to be priced perfectly, the only thing lacking from 8th generation devices was native android market support. Archos also provides a $20 software codec upgrade option that supports nearly all audio/video codecs under the sun. The more powerful ARM processors coupled with 1 GB of memory would mean a better performing device.
    Here is Android Central's report:

http://www.androidcentral.com/archos...eycomb-tablets

THe USB 3G stick is an interesting way to do this on a tablet. It must mean it is full USB OTG.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I find this is a throw back product...it will be heavier, slower and burn thru batteries....I truly don't see an upside for this product.

take care,

Jay
    Hi all,

Thank you all for the info & input.

Have any of you have any idea if what I have guested is true, that it will be heavier, noisier, slower and burn thru batteries?

I also wander how well the HD will due b/c tablet computers are much more mobile than laptops or netbooks....they are used in more non traditional positions than a laptop.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It doesn't even say in the press release what kind of HD it is, but they talk only about Seagate HDD, so I guess this is no SSD (wouldn't they mention that?).
    If it actually is a HDD and no SSD, then, yes, I think you're right, it would be noisier, heavier, slower and burn faster through batteries.
    On the other hand, a 256GB SSD would be too expensive, but personally I certainly wouldn't want a vibrating and noisy HDD in my tablet. It already bothered me back when I had an iPod (classic - the one with the 4 buttons. still works btw.) 3rd generation and still bothers me a lot in my laptop. HDDs are, IMO, yesterday's technology.