Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. Please use the link to reach the balance of this article. Also to all of the Apple lovers out there, I didn't write this, I am only posting it.

Take care,

Jay

3 iPad disappointments
    Sharon Machlis, Machlis Musings, June 22, 2011 - 5:00 P.M.

3 iPad disappointments - Computerworld Blogs

After almost a month with the iPad 2, there's a lot I like about my new iPad: stunning display, sleek industrial design, smart cover that turns the tablet on & off and doubles as a stand, a mostly intuitive operating system and the enormous ecosystem of apps. But considering the device's vast popularity and market share, I've been unpleasantly surprised by three shortcomings.

Multitasking. Being able to run multiple apps at once in the background, even invisibly, is certainly better than nothing. However, iOS's current implementation of multitasking still falls short, especially considering Apple's vaunted reputation for user experience.

On my 2009 Palm Pre I can view multiple windows at once and swipe between open apps. And, if I want to close an app, I press the home button once and then flick it off the screen. With the iPad, I need to press the home button twice to see all the running apps and then tap the one I want to switch to. This may sound similar, but I find the webOS implementation much more pleasing. Plus, if I want to go back to the app I just left, it's not on the iPad multitasking bar; instead, I've got to go back to a home screen to find it. On my Palm Pre, the running app I just left is still one of my choices. In addition, WebOS displays small windows of the actual running applications in multitask view, not simply icons as with iOS, giving me a better idea of what's going on.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Interesting take and thanks for the link.

I like Mac OS, but IOS has always left something to be desired and honestly I think iFanatics simply have no clue what's out their since they refuse to use anything else. From personal experience as a user and consultant I know one things for certain: "If Apple didn't invent it...it never happened and it is not possible." Apple users really think this way???

My Mac Pro workstation is great, but it has its limitations and and thankfully I found a better mobile product in webOS. Sorli...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    "If Apple didn't invent it...it never happened and it is not possible." Apple users really think this way??? Sorli...
    Hi,

Sadly a number of Apple Fan/boys/girls I know think that way...

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Interesting take and thanks for the link.

I like Mac OS, but IOS has always left something to be desired and honestly I think iFanatics simply have no clue what's out their since they refuse to use anything else. From personal experience as a user and consultant I know one things for certain: "If Apple didn't invent it...it never happened and it is not possible." Apple users really think this way???

My Mac Pro workstation is great, but it has its limitations and and thankfully I found a better mobile product in webOS. Sorli...
    Indeed. If you really want to blow their minds, try telling them that the first iPhone release wasn't technically a "smartphone" but actually a "feature phone".
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Indeed. If you really want to blow their minds, try telling them that the first iPhone release wasn't technically a "smartphone" but actually a "feature phone".
    LOL,

Take care,

Jay
    Multitasking in iOS5: Press Home twice and flickthrough the cards for your open apps
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Multitasking in iOS5: Press Home twice and flickthrough the cards for your open apps
    Not quite. You flick through icons, not cards, and they're not open, they're paused (save for a few allowed functions like audio). So a download of some file in an app is stopped when you go to another app.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Not quite. You flick through icons, not cards, and they're not open, they're paused (save for a few allowed functions like audio). So a download of some file in an app is stopped when you go to another app.
    Not true. App's like Reeder, Rdio, etc. can continue to download and sync in the background. In iOS 5 Safari now continues to load webpages when it too, is in the background.

There really now is nothing that can't be done in the background, in the sense of “multitasking”.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Not true. App's like Reeder, Rdio, etc. can continue to download and sync in the background. In iOS 5 Safari now continues to load webpages when it too, is in the background.

There really now is nothing that can't be done in the background, in the sense of “multitasking”.
    Yep.

Quite frankly while the webOS way is "cooler" it's actually easier to find open and recently used applications in iOS. It's definitely quicker than scrolling across multiple cards to find what you are looking for.
    Reading this article reminds me of a big irritation I have with the browser on webOS: no search in page. Man, it's irritating not having that.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Reading this article reminds me of a big irritation I have with the browser on webOS: no search in page. Man, it's irritating not having that.
    Hi, well now you have an idea for your first app for you two write....

take care,

jay
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Yep.

Quite frankly while the webOS way is "cooler" it's actually easier to find open and recently used applications in iOS. It's definitely quicker than scrolling across multiple cards to find what you are looking for.
    How do you know what app is 'open' in ios's task switching tray? Apps are in there even if they were closed long ago by the os.

As for quicker, you can easily rearrange and stack cards, not so with icons in the ios tray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Yep.

Easier? Quicker? I'd have to strongly disagree with you based on personal experience. Maybe you can claim that if you only need to switch among up to 4 recently used apps but once you push past 4 or past pulling up apps within the most recent 4 it becomes a lot slower and more clunky.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

Although the capability to keep apps in an open state is available on iOS, it's up to the developer to execute this function when they write the app. The problem is most apps for iOS are NOT meant to function in a live state unless the developer rewrites it to do so. This is especially true for optimized apps working on the iPad.

Now if HP would just allow for the Wave Bar and full swipe between apps on the TP, I would be MORE than satisfied with webOS 3.0. over any OS capable of multitasking.
    I use both WebOS and iOS and I really don't see what the fuss is about. Both OSs do some things in the background, but keep in mind that there is "no free lunch" here. If something is grinding in the background then it is munching on the battery.
    ------------------
    James C.
    Digital EcoSystem: GNU/Emacs/Vim/BSD/c/Linux/groff/iOS/LaTeX/OS X/WebOS/Win7/&c.
    Gadget Disclosure: Pre-/iPad1/Dell E6410/MacBook(OS X/Linux/NetBSD)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Easier? Quicker? I'd have to strongly disagree with you based on personal experience. Maybe you can claim that if you only need to switch among up to 4 recently used apps but once you push past 4 or past pulling up apps within the most recent 4 it becomes a lot slower and more clunky.
    Agreed!
    somebody once described iOS task switching as like being in the living room of your house and having to go back outside and come through the front door to get to the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    somebody once described iOS task switching as like being in the living room of your house and having to go back outside and come through the front door to get to the kitchen.
    I use both WebOS and iOS and this makes no sense to me. They are both reasonable at switching tasks.
    ------------------
    James C.
    Digital EcoSystem: GNU/Emacs/Vim/BSD/c/Linux/groff/iOS/LaTeX/OS X/WebOS/Win7/&c.
    I use both as well, but multitasking on iOS is only adequate for people who don't really multitask. Switching between apps is not multitasking.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I use both as well, but multitasking on iOS is only adequate for people who don't really multitask. Switching between apps is not multitasking.
    True, of course. But the current state of tablets, given the limited power they have available, need to carefully control what they allow to perpetually percolate in the background -- whether this be WebOS, iOS, Android, etc.
    ------------------
    James C.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast