Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i thought HP had some sort of exclusivity agreement on this, no?

it appears that it is also available for Ipad:
    Citrix Systems Business solutions for iPad Citrix Receiver
    Nah, it's not exclusive. They've been emphasizing it as a compliment to the other business-friendly features like the mail app with support for 16 exchange accounts and so forth.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah but i think for tp, it is included in ure business package. i am not sure if that is the case for ipad
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I think the difference is the iPad version requires a third party solution on the server side of things. HP, on the other hand, can do it all.
    good point. The demo videos always mention that the actual programs are being run on HP servers.
  6.    #6  
    so, does HP essentially have a dedicated server loaded up with Enterprise software for companies to freely use? whereas Ipad you are accessing your own servers? i'm a bit confused on the HP server thing. they seem to be touting this Citrix Receiever as some sort of differentiator from other tablets, yet Ipad and Android tabs both have it as far as i know.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    so, does HP essentially have a dedicated server loaded up with Enterprise software for companies to freely use? whereas Ipad you are accessing your own servers? i'm a bit confused on the HP server thing. they seem to be touting this Citrix Receiever as some sort of differentiator from other tablets, yet Ipad and Android tabs both have it as far as i know.
    My redneck analysis of the TouchPad videos seem to indicate that Citrix runs on the individual enterprise's server. Since Apple bailed on the server game (probably because HP OWNS it), only HP can offer a complete server-to-tablet solution.
    and it's not free
    It doesn't really matter, though, since most likely the prospective buyer may already have HP servers AND still consider an iDevice. Since both it and the TouchPad require Citrix Receiver, there isn't any perceived advantage from either platform.
    Its all about marketing and perception. If HP makes it a big deal and Cetrix seems to play along, then this is all that matters......who cares that Ipad2 has it if its not marketed.

The perception of this reality becomes that this is a Touchpad +, while being marketed as an enterprise/consumer tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    yeah but i think for tp, it is included in ure business package. i am not sure if that is the case for ipad
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I think the difference is the iPad version requires a third party solution on the server side of things. HP, on the other hand, can do it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    so, does HP essentially have a dedicated server loaded up with Enterprise software for companies to freely use? ...
    It sounds like there are some basic misconceptions about Citrix here. Maybe a bried description is in order.

Citrix is a server-based technology that provides remote access to the server, virtualized desktops, and virtualized applications. The desktops and/or applications are actually running on the server, and you "see" the results on yoru device, and interact with the device as if it were running that desktop or application.

Citrx Server is actually software, they don't make the hardware. HP's servers are nothing particularly special in running Citrix, and it can be run on a variety of servers.

The Citrix client is available on a lot of different platforms. HP's regular mention if it is just marketing. That's not a bad thing, as a matter of fact it's really a good thing, but it's by no means an exclusive.

I suspect you don't see Apple talking about it much on the iPad because Apple is in direct competition to the virtually all of the applications/desktops you'd be running using a Citrix client (though I've seen virtualized Linux and Windows servers, I've never seen Apple's OS virtualized - my experience though is not the end-all be-all, maybe there are some instances, I don't know).

The client is pretty lightweight, so this gives the ability of some pretty lightweight devices to "run" some pretty sophisticated software (though the software is actually running on another computer).

One of parts of the package that is particularly appealing to large organizations though, is the security. Because you're only seeing a rendering of the remote device, that device can remain on a more secure network, without exposing that system to any of your viruses, malware, etc. The client can even be configured to disallow access to your printers or storage devices while connect, thus completely isolating your network from the remote network.

Since January, I've been heavily involved in an extra project with the government agency I'm contracted to. I work my 8 hours at my regular job onsite, then come home and work the extra 20 or so hours a week, on servers all across the country. From the comfort of my home, but still in the security of their internal network.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    From what I understand, the Citrix app on webOS will not disconnect when you switch away to another app, which makes Citrix more useable on webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    From what I understand, the Citrix app on webOS will not disconnect when you switch away to another app, which makes Citrix more useable on webOS.
    If that's the case, and if it's true the the iPad Citrix client disconnects in the manner described - this is indeed significant.

Much of the time I spend in remote sessions, I'm waiting on the remote computer to finish processes. I'd hate to have to be stuck to using that one app on a device while it was happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If that's the case, and if it's true the the iPad Citrix client disconnects in the manner described - this is indeed significant.

Much of the time I spend in remote sessions, I'm waiting on the remote computer to finish processes. I'd hate to have to be stuck to using that one app on a device while it was happening.
    I'm not reading too much into this. Citrix Receiver is the standard name of the client used to connect to a citrix server. My company has citrix servers, which I use my PC to remote into and my iPAD buddy uses his ipad to access.

SO I can use the touchpad to do the same. I'm not expecting it will do anything different than what it's counterpart citrix receiver does on ipad

nonetheless, it is one of the "key" apps people are looking for which makes it important for webos to have
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Shouldn't this thread be in the Other Tablets forum?
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    RIM announced Citrix Receiver on the Playbook when they first announced the product back in September 2010.

Do You Want To Run Windows 7 From the BlackBerry PlayBook | Citrix Blogs

It's basically a PRPRPR $gimmick$ --- $which$ $was$ $constantly$ $being$ $hyped$ $up$ $by$ $certain$ $people$ $on$ $this$ $forum$. $EVERYBODY$ $has$ $this$ $Citrix$ $Receiver$ $on$ $their$ $platforms$.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I think there may be some cards integration in the webOS citrix receiver, so you can "use" multiple apps at once on the server rather than being limited to a single view. I'm sure the iPad client lets you run multiple apps on the server and switch applications within the client, but having a couple Citrix applications in cards right next to your local application would be handy. Think of having a couple remotely-accessed intranet webpage cards open alongside an SMS conversation, for example.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    "Citrix Receiver and webOS are an ideal fit. For example, thanks to webOS’s multitasking capabilities, you can run multiple sessions simultaneously and work the same way on your mobile device that you are used to on a laptop with plenty of apps and documents open in multiple windows"
    So it sounds like it may not have card integration, they suggest just running "multiple sessions" so that you have things in different cards. So then it becomes a matter of how easy it is to kick off another session...
    We have a generic PC in the office. So we would have to install Citrix software on it? Then could we hook up via an HP cloud solution to our remote TouchPads? We don't have a VPN solution currently but are very interested.

How fast would it be to access programs like Excel, Word or Act via this way?

Edit: sorry I see we would not use the HP cloud, just our VPN solution to remotely communicate.
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/20/2011 at 03:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    RIM announced Citrix Receiver on the Playbook when they first announced the product back in September 2010.
    Do You Want To Run Windows 7 From the BlackBerry PlayBook | Citrix Blogs

It's basically a PRPRPR $gimmick$ --- $which$ $was$ $constantly$ $being$ $hyped$ $up$ $by$ $certain$ $people$ $on$ $this$ $forum$. $EVERYBODY$ $has$ $this$ $Citrix$ $Receiver$ $on$ $their$ $platforms$.
    Ahh samab. LOL, You're like a one man army for Playbook. Nobody's talking about the Playbook right now, they ain't in the running. It would have been better to say Citrix has been running on other tablets for months, not what RIM announced back in September 2010.

Is Citrix available now for Playbook? From the Citrix website it does not appear so:Citrix Receiver and the RIM PlayBook
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Right now the gimmick is the Playbook, being released with no PIM/Mail. And it appears every platform does not have it, Citrix it ain't listed on Blackberries website as a compatible device:
    Blackberry Appworld Citrix Receiver

List of compatible devices:
    Supported Devices
    BlackBerry 8350i
    BlackBerry 8520
    BlackBerry 8530
    BlackBerry 8900
    BlackBerry 9000
    BlackBerry 9300
    BlackBerry 9330
    BlackBerry 9520
    BlackBerry 9550
    BlackBerry 9630
    BlackBerry 9650
    BlackBerry 9670
    BlackBerry 9700
    BlackBerry 9780
    BlackBerry 9800

Non of those devices are even worth taking back for credit.
    Is there a separate App Catalog for Playbook I missed?

The only announcement the public is interested in is how RIM will stop all this downgrading of stock prices and when they are going to get sane and get rid of their co-CEOs. What did they close at today?

Here's a funy story:
    Even RIM doesn't want their Playbook tablet
    Last edited by sinsin07; 06/20/2011 at 05:44 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast