Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Citrix receiver was available for the iPad from the day it shipped, and also for the iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Citrix receiver was available for the iPad from the day it shipped, and also for the iphone.
    I wasn't sure when it was first available. Playbook LOL. I'm glad it exist in it's current form. All HP has to do is release a tablet on day one with PIM/Mail and they already get Playbook beat. Citrix would be a bonus. If they can get the 3G out before RIM gets Citrix, it could be a slamdunk. As long as Playbook is out and crippled, HP can do no wrong.

If things don't go well for the Touchpad, at least people can say: At least it ain't as bad as the Playbook". The Playbook and Xoom will be the barometer of fail.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Citrix has been available for the ipad since April 2010.

Citrix Systems » Citrix Receiver App for iPad Now Available on App Store

Chances are that Citrix will release both the Playbook version and the WebOS version at the same time. It's not going to change a thing.

Citrix Receiver ain't a slamdunk --- EVERYBODY is going to have it on their platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Citrix has been available for the ipad since April 2010.

Citrix Systems » Citrix Receiver App for iPad Now Available on App Store

Chances are that Citrix will release both the Playbook version and the WebOS version at the same time. It's not going to change a thing.

Citrix Receiver ain't a slamdunk --- EVERYBODY is going to have it on their platforms.
    OK. You don't like slam-dunk. How 'bout a Touchpad nasty cross-over leaving Playbook flatfooted at top of the key.

Let's see. There are five mobile OS vying for market share. Webos, Android, IOS, WinMo7 and BB OS 7. Oh I forgot, make that 6. BB also has QNX.
    Now out of all those OS and vendor models, right now which tablet is most successful?
    Now let's look at the ecosystems. Out of all these vendors/OS models which vendors ecosystem will closely resemble the market leader in regard to tablets?
    HP
    RIM
    MS
    We can already dismiss MS. They have no tablet near release. That leaves RIM and HP. RIM already played their card. They were a couple of cards shy of 52, and that's including the Jokers.
    You speculate chances are they will release a QNX and Webos together. This sounds more like wishful thinking.
    The minute the Touchpad hits the streets the cross-over will be complete. It will have the basics people expect like PIM,Mail. Some people only need that without being dependent on a secondary device.

Edit: And then there's this:
    No Native Email On Playbook Due To Blackberry Restrictions And Poor Planning By RIM
    It's too bad RIM forgot the meaning of their own acronym: Research In Motion.
    They made it so all HP has to show up with PIM some apps and a nasty cross-over. No slam-dunk maybe but it's still a basket.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 06/21/2011 at 09:14 PM.
    The Citrix Receiver is also available for Android (both phone and tablet optimized)

https://market.android.com/details?i...itrix.Receiver
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    This sounds more like wishful thinking.
    No, it is wishful thinking that this Citrix Receiver software magically solves all of webos' problems. The ipad has it since day one. Android has it. The Playbook is going to have it. And the TouchPad is going to have it.
    No, it is wishful thinking that this Citrix Receiver software magically solves all of webos' problems. The ipad has it since day one. Android has it. The Playbook is going to have it. And the TouchPad is going to have it.
    Ha ha LOL. Where is the PIM / Mail function for the Playbook? Research In Motion should get in motion and stop wasting time on Flash updates and Adobe Air:
    BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.6 update brings Flash 10.3 and AIR 2.7 to PlayBook

I'd rather have a Touchpad, like their chances much better.
    Aye Yai Yai!!!!
    RIM lowers internal 2Q11 sales target for PlayBook

Touchpad looks better each day.

(Courtesy of ilovedessert, from which I got the original story)
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Wall Street analysts have also reduced the ipad sales figure for the year from their original 45-50 million units back down to 30-35 million units.

That's the context you have to read into.

Wall Street analysts were originally targeting for 5-6 million Playbooks for this year, now they are targeting 2-3 million Playbooks (which is consistent with the figures you cited).

The whole tablet market sales forecast is shrinking by the minute --- somehow you think that's good for the Touchpad????
    Wall Street analysts have also reduced the ipad sales figure for the year from their original 45-50 million units back down to 30-35 million units.

That's the context you have to read into.

Wall Street analysts were originally targeting for 5-6 million Playbooks for this year, now they are targeting 2-3 million Playbooks (which is consistent with the figures you cited).

The whole tablet market sales forecast is shrinking by the minute --- somehow you think that's good for the Touchpad????
    Samab you used to be good at posting corroborating information. Link to your Wall Street analyst comment?

Secondly, could any part of the iPad number reduction be related to, let's say an explosion in the IPad factory, or earthquake/tsunami in Japan, or maybe delayed launch of iPad sales in Japan. Or did the analyst just reduce the numbers because the demand for the iPad was not what they expected?

Moving on, you can barely go to a tech site without seeing some RIMM negativity. I have links form today, but it's getting monotonous so I won't bother posting. The Touchpad chances are a hell of lot better than Playbook. Playbook already set the bar for fail. All HP has to do is show up with:
    1. Mail check
    2: PIM check
    3: Citrix check
    and they will be ahead of the curve compared to Playbook.

The mail app alone on the Touchpad is better than my iPad.

The Playbook has got along way to go to gain traction. RIM is a dinosaur.

Sorry but right now you're backing a loser. Maybe waaaay down the road that may change, but until then good luck.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Apple missed Wall Street consensus numbers for ipad sales for the last 2 quarters.

You said it yourself: "Or did the analyst just reduce the numbers because the demand for the iPad was not what they expected?"

Somehow it's okay for them to reduce the ipad estimates, but it's not okay for them to reduce the playbook estimates??? And if the ipad demand is "soft", then touchpad is screwed as well because the tablet market ain't that big to begin with.

Citrix made 2 announcements for citrix receiver --- one for the playbook and another one for the touchpad. If they are going to be late for the playbook, they are going to be late for the touchpad. And even if HP beats RIM to get the citrix receiver first, so what? EVERYBODY has it. It's not like bloggers didn't trash the xoom because it had 16 tablet apps --- because you could have run tens of thousands of apps via citrix receiver on the xoom.
    Apple missed Wall Street consensus numbers for ipad sales for the last 2 quarters.

You said it yourself: "Or did the analyst just reduce the numbers because the demand for the iPad was not what they expected?
    Somehow it's okay for them to reduce the ipad estimates, but it's not okay for them to reduce the playbook estimates??? And if the ipad demand is "soft", then touchpad is screwed as well because the tablet market ain't that big to begin with.
    Yes it is OK for iPad to to miss Wall street estimates. Compare what happens to Apple stock vs RIM. That should answer that question. If you call 30 to 35 million units soft, then so be it. I noticed how you glossed over cause and effect, nor not bothered to post So I did my own digging. Missing an estimate is missing an estimate. However there are some differences between RiM missing estimates and Apple.

From Rueters April 24 2011:
    Apple sold fewer-than-expected iPads, at a little under 5 million versus estimates of up to 6 million, as the transition to a new model and Japanese supply chain tangles triggered shortages of critical components.

More from Rueters:
    Investors remain wary of the dangers a prolonged logistics disruption in Japan -- which supplies more than one-tenth of the world's electronics -- pose to the global tech supply chain. Apple is said to rely on Asia's second-largest economy for crucial touchscreen and internal components.

Shares of Apple ended last week up 2.4 percent at $350.70. But that only brings the world's most valuable technology company back to where it was before the March 11 earthquake.

BENCH STRENGTH

Cuts aside, the company is on a tear and demand has never been an issue. Sales of the iPhone more than doubled, and made up almost half of revenue in the March quarter. On the iPad 2, Apple said it sold every one it could make.

On Thursday, more than 10 brokerages raised their price target on the stock, with Ticonderoga Securities expecting the shares to touch $612 in the next year.

"Is (Apple) a grown-up company? Yes. Is it a well managed company? Absolutely," Alex Gauna, analyst with JMP Securities, said. "Does it have talent internally beyond Steve Jobs? It sure does."

Now what's RIM excuse? Answer: Lack of interest

Now I see why you didn't post any links.

Citrix made 2 announcements for citrix receiver --- one for the playbook and another one for the touchpad. If they are going to be late for the playbook, they are going to be late for the touchpad. And even if HP beats RIM to get the citrix receiver first, so what? EVERYBODY has it. It's not like bloggers didn't trash the xoom because it had 16 tablet apps --- because you could have run tens of thousands of apps via citrix receiver on the xoom.
    Concerning the release of Citrix on the Touchpad, I will just wait and see what transpires. We will know shortly.
    Your Xoom comment is a poor example, it was trashed for various reasons, like the Playbook. Yes everyone has Citrix, but out of tablet makers only HP, Microsoft (future tablets) and RIM have the large presence in the enterprise. Microsoft is not in the running right now. The Touchpad is not bringing all the baggage that the Playbook still has.
    The Touchpad does have some deficiencies, no HDMI, one camera, lack of apps. However the lack of PIM/Mail is glaring on the Playbook, thus adding to the dramatic drop in RIM value. A consumer from day on can purchase a Touchpad and have the basics. The Playbook needs a wheelchair, namely a Blackberry.

Concerning which device will do better, I will wait and see between HP and RIM. The rumor is HP will have a 7 inch tablet out before the end of the year, which will probably hurt RIM the greatest, as if they ain't already hurtin.

By the way, did you see the new Comscores? It appears Canada is big on the iPad. LOL
    ComScore June 23 2011
    Even Canadians don't use Playbooks. Now what does that say?

Ipad / Touchpad for the win!
    Last edited by sinsin07; 06/23/2011 at 07:54 PM.

You said it yourself: "Or did the analyst just reduce the numbers because the demand for the iPad was not what they expected?"

Apple missed expectations not because of low demand but because of an inability to manufacture enough tablets to meet demand. In fact demand was and is high.
    But on a post-earnings conference call with analysts, Apple chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer insisted that the iPad issues were due to supply, not demand.

"We sold every iPad 2 we were able to make this quarter," Oppenheimer said.

In the same call, Apple chief operating officer Tim Cook called the iPad 2 supply/demand issue "the mother of all backlogs." Apple earnings top estimates, but iPad sales light - Apr. 20, 2011
    Apple earnings strong, couldnā€™t meet iPad demand - Boston.com

there are many articles along these lines. I would not characterize demand for the ipad 2 as soft.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 06/24/2011 at 06:37 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    EVERYBODY is cutting tablet sales estimates.

Acer cuts 2011 tablet sales forecast in half to 2.5M units citing poor sell-through, competition

SOMEHOW this is good news for HP????
    EVERYBODY is cutting tablet sales estimates.

Acer cuts 2011 tablet sales forecast in half to 2.5M units citing poor sell-through, competition

SOMEHOW this is good news for HP????
    This has nothing to do with the thread topic. You seem intent on the Touchpad meeting a similar Playbook fate and looping in anything you can to make people believe that.

If the Touchpad has Citrix on dayone it's a good thing, no matter what analyst quotes you want to post Will it make a difference, yeah, for people buying Touchpads. If HP has Citrix B4 RIM, one less reason to go with Playbook.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    This has nothing to do with the thread topic. You seem intent on the Touchpad meeting a similar Playbook fate and looping in anything you can to make people believe that.

If the Touchpad has Citrix on dayone it's a good thing, no matter what analyst quotes you want to post Will it make a difference, yeah, for people buying Touchpads. If HP has Citrix B4 RIM, one less reason to go with Playbook.
    Yet YOU were the one that posted RIM lowering their Q2 sales target for the Playbook on this thread. If it had NOTHING to do with thread topic, then it is YOUR fault for putting it here.

Why would you think that Citrix would be on the TouchPad before the Playbook? Citrix made a couple of press releases --- if they ain't going to make their launch window for the Playbook, chances are that they are going to miss the launch window for the TouchPad.

Citrix is available on Android --- did it make a different on Xoom sales???
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    This was the best article.
    I was just thinking what will happen when HP releases a 7inch Touchpad for $399 will RIM stop making Playbook then.
    As nobody in their right mind(RIM ******* don't count) will pay $500 to get a worthless device like Playbook when they can buy a better device in HP Touchpad for lesser price,more features,more apps and the real OS,WebOS and not a pirate version of it in Playbook.
    Yet YOU were the one that posted RIM lowering their Q2 sales target for the Playbook on this thread. If it had NOTHING to do with thread topic, then it is YOUR fault for putting it here.

Why would you think that Citrix would be on the TouchPad before the Playbook? Citrix made a couple of press releases --- if they ain't going to make their launch window for the Playbook, chances are that they are going to miss the launch window for the TouchPad.

Citrix is available on Android --- did it make a different on Xoom sales???
    I have no more time for for you samab. If already answer why. You would do better to drum up some Playbook interest on Crackberry.com, maybe do what some webos fans did and put an image of the Playbook on iPad displays around where you live and work. Get some Playbook fans to start pinging RIM for that promised PIM/mail functionality.

Till then I guess you could always watch a movie

Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    I was just thinking what will happen when HP releases a 7inch Touchpad for $399 will RIM stop making Playbook then.
    As nobody in their right mind(RIM ******* don't count) will pay $500 to get a worthless device like Playbook when they can buy a better device in HP Touchpad for lesser price,more features,more apps and the real OS,WebOS and not a pirate version of it in Playbook.
    Funny you should mention apps:

RIM Loses Miami Dolphins Fans as Software Developers Defect

Let me break it down for RIM fans:

Expensive ‘Gotchas’

The developers are stepping back from BlackBerry because they say creating apps is too complex and costly for the size of the market. RIM’s devices have different screens sizes, varied operating systems and several ways to navigate, from a physical keyboard to touchscreen to a scroll button.

“As soon as RIM brought in a touchscreen and mixed it with a thumbwheel, a keyboard and shortcut keys, it made it really difficult and expensive to develop across devices,” said Purple Forge CEO Brian Hurley. “What Apple scored big on is having a touch screen and a button and that’s it.”

There are also costly surprises that turn up during development for RIM, Hurley said in an interview.

Maybe RIM should change their acronym to Research Isn't Moving

Can wait to see Citrix on the Touchpad
    Last edited by sinsin07; 06/27/2011 at 03:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    I have no more time for for you samab. If already answer why. You would do better to drum up some Playbook interest on Crackberry.com, maybe do what some webos fans did and put an image of the Playbook on iPad displays around where you live and work. Get some Playbook fans to start pinging RIM for that promised PIM/mail functionality.

Till then I guess you could always watch a movie
    It wasn't my idea to waste everybody's time. I would say that I have been quite impartial on my postings from the beginning.

It's actually people like you and KAPS that "turned" me. The threads that I "made my bones" --- were to defend very logical arguments that EVERYBODY on this forum eventually sided with me. And it all started with KAPS ranting and raving about Playbook's rotation "bug" that turned out to be not a "bug" --- that EVERYBODY sided with me on that discussion.

Last month, Citrix announced they are porting the Citrix Receiver to the Chromebook. It's going to be available in every single platform on earth. Somehow, you think that Citrix Receiver will give HP TouchPad a leg up against its competitors and solves all its problems. Certainly it didn't solve Honeycomb tablets' problems --- even though it is available for that platform.

Put the Citrix Receiver question on a poll in this forum and see how many people side with me. YOU people made me the man I am here today.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    Actually, if anything is herpes --- then Citrix Receiver is it. It's sleeping with every single platform on earth.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast