1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

take care,

Jay

Why Android Tablets Fail
    Jared Spurbeck Sat Jun 18, 3:10 pm ET

Why Android Tablets Fail - Yahoo! News

I don't mean "fail" as in "perform badly." In a world where Google's Android operating system powered the only "tablet" devices, they'd be magical and best-selling. But this is not that world. The iPad is the elephant in the room, and it dominates both buyers' and app developers' preferences.

By "fail," what I mean is that they're failures in the marketplace. The first "real" Android tablet to sell, the Xoom, was basically a flop. And the only one to make headlines or sell out these days is the Asus Transformer, which (perhaps not coincidentally) is also the cheapest Android tablet, at $399.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    the comparison to the game console market is an interesting one. Lots of companies tried and failed to enter the market, and a few industry stars (like Sega) fell from grace too. Companies like Sony and Microsoft had to spend a lot of money and resources to muscle their way into the market as well.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Cutting into the high end market is no easy task. Not sure HP is up for it yet, given some of the shortcomings but then again, if momentum is gained, well, things will snowball
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    That was a good read. The comparison of the video game industry in the 90's was a good analogy, it put things in perspective.
    People are dumping their 3G/4G(still non-existent) Xooms on Craig's for around $500-$550. Some $600. At those prices, it may be worth testing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    People are dumping their 3G/4G(still non-existent) Xooms on Craig's for around $500-$550. Some $600. At those prices, it may be worth testing.
    Dear Diva, How much do the cost originally if they are selling them used for $500-$550?

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    $800 no contract(data version), remember? 32GB. Toward the end of the year though, they may be even less on Craig's.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    $800 no contract(data version), remember? 32GB. Toward the end of the year though, they may be even less on Craig's.
    Hi, Thanks I never followed the pricing on any of the pads...i don't need one...thanks take care, Jay
    Android tablets are way too complicated to use for the average non-techie consumer. I'm in the tech industry and I find it harder to use than the iPad or the Playbook. That is where they are failing, simplicity. And I believe that is where the TouchPad can win.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Android tablets are way too complicated to use for the average non-techie consumer. I'm in the tech industry and I find it harder to use than the iPad or the Playbook. That is where they are failing, simplicity. And I believe that is where the TouchPad can win.
    Hi, A few of my friends have said the same thing about android phones as well....they complained that they are intuitive....they want to try the Pre3 as soon as it comes out...

take care,

Jay
    The ones on the phone mobile version weren't so bad actually, but everyone wants Honeycomb now. I had no problem navigating the old Galaxy Tab, too bad they overpriced the data version.

I don't think it's wise to compare the 90's game console market to the modern tablet market.
    David Vogt - Founder and administrator of Photography Union
    Follow me on Twitter! --- Add me on Facebook!
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Yeah, I agree. I'm all into tech, and I find Honeycomb to be too complicated. The few times I've played around with the Xoom, I always have to pause to figure things out, navigate the widgets, figure out where the home & back buttons are on the screen (having no physical buttons may make the hardware look better, but I don't find it practical).

I compare that to my experience playing around with an iPad, and the iPad is so much simpler. You just turn it on, and it works. Getting around iOS is so much easier & allows anyone to pick it up and immediately enjoy using it.
    HP needs to continue to PAY to get the apps that people want if they are going to compete. They also need to know, (and it appears they do), that it will take a few years and a few models to catch up to you know who. Be in it for the long haul and plan on some losses along the way. People need to stop calling the transformer cheap. The thing that makes people want it is the great docking keyboard, and that brings the price up to $550. Still a good deal for a cool product, but not that cheap.
  15.    #15  
    Hi,

HP has maintained that they will write apps, pay to have apps written and supply the labor to have apps ported to webOS what ever it takes...I hope they meant it.

take care,

Jay
    As a developer, I have no interest in developing for Android tablets. Not solely because they don't sell well, but because it's just another set of different aspect ratios and screen sizes to have to deal with. I got an email from Samsung (or claiming to be from Samsung) saying that one of my apps didn't display properly on their tablet. To me, that's Google's problem, or Samsung's problem. It was an old app created before there were Android tablets, and it appears that nobody making Android tablets had the foresight that Apple did to make the mobile phone apps fit nicely into the tablet displays.
    The biggest problem that I think Android tablets are going to face is that the Android Market is brutal for developers trying to earn a living. Rovio made Angry Birds free and ad supported because they didn't think enough Android users would be willing to pay for it. That says a lot about how hard it is to sell software in the Android market. That's fine and dandy when your device doubles as a phone. But to expect people to buy something that is for computing only, you need to provide developers with a reason to bring apps to the platform.
    Google is slowly making improvements to the Android Market, but I'm not sure if they are making them fast enough. And the fragmentation of the platform is only getting worse, making it even harder on developers.
    Follow Imperial Penguin on Twitter @imppeng
    Like Imperial Penguin on Facebook
    Apple's apps don't all exactly fit well enough either. Unless there is a dual version, you have to upscale on the iPad and then everything looks pixelated.

BTW, what's your apps?

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImperialPenguin View Post
    As a developer, I have no interest in developing for Android tablets. Not solely because they don't sell well, but because it's just another set of different aspect ratios and screen sizes to have to deal with. I got an email from Samsung (or claiming to be from Samsung) saying that one of my apps didn't display properly on their tablet. To me, that's Google's problem, or Samsung's problem. It was an old app created before there were Android tablets, and it appears that nobody making Android tablets had the foresight that Apple did to make the mobile phone apps fit nicely into the tablet displays.
    The biggest problem that I think Android tablets are going to face is that the Android Market is brutal for developers trying to earn a living. Rovio made Angry Birds free and ad supported because they didn't think enough Android users would be willing to pay for it. That says a lot about how hard it is to sell software in the Android market. That's fine and dandy when your device doubles as a phone. But to expect people to buy something that is for computing only, you need to provide developers with a reason to bring apps to the platform.
    Google is slowly making improvements to the Android Market, but I'm not sure if they are making them fast enough. And the fragmentation of the platform is only getting worse, making it even harder on developers.
    Hi all,

To be honest I haven't really paid much attention to the issue of pad or tablet computers too much b/c I really don't need or want one....but I had no idea that there were so many screen ratios with in Android, (although it makes sense since it is an OS made by Google & hardware by someone else)......

I had no idea that it would cause you to have to change each app to work for each screen ratio.....what a royal pain the *&%..I can't blame you for not wanting to deal with it.

take care,

jay
    Oh, I'm not saying that the iPad's compatibility mode is ideal, a universal or iPad specific app is certainly better. But at least you know that the older and/or iPhone only apps are going to display as designed.
    Android is a whole different ballgame. Testing on the different aspect ratios is a must. And when a new screen size or aspect ratio comes out after you've released the app. It would be nice if there was some attempt at compatibility. It's not that difficult for a new app to support tablets, because Android makes resolution independent layout rather easy, as long as you take the time to do it. And I'm a bit surprised that one of my apps doesn't work on the tablet, but the email didn't tell me which one it was.

I have a few apps out, but I guess my "flagship" product right now is a reaction timer for drag racers called Drag Tree. I have a new game coming out for iOS, WebOS and Android called Subterran that I hope does well though. It's out on Android now, and performing relatively poorly, but as I said Android is not a very good market for paid apps. Which is why the tablet version of Drag Tree will probably appear on the TouchPad long before it does on an Android tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I had no idea that it would cause you to have to change each app to work for each screen ratio.....what a royal pain the *&%..I can't blame you for not wanting to deal with it.

jay
    Well, you can lay out the UI in an aspect ratio independent way, similar to the way that you would a web page. But on a very large screen, it's still gonna look wonky. There will be an excessive amount of padding or freakishly large buttons, or whatever if it isn't designed specifically for the screen size.
    And it makes absolute positioning of things nearly impossible. Which is why my app Drag Tree looks so much better on iPhones than it does Androids. With iPhone I know it is going to be 320x480 or exactly twice that size so I was able to make a nice background for the buttons and things to set on. On Android, that nice background gets scaled, and the buttons have to be laid out in a table format instead of being placed exactly where I want them on the background.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast