06/18/2011, 01:20 AM
Dear P|C members, we heard you!
Pre|Central is the #1 community for webOS enthusiasts to learn, share, and discuss all things webOS. Our members want it to stay that way, and we want to help. Your input has been the catalyst for our efforts to keep this site all about H/Palm and webOS.
A recent poll of P|C members showed that members come here mostly to learn about webOS, to get help, and help other members. That's one of the great things about this community; we really enjoy helping each other. The positive and friendly people here are the most valuable asset we have.
Now we know that some members have been frustrated by Palm's recent lack of execution. Combined with a lack of shipping products, this seems to have been the catalyst for an increase in arguing and negative posts. Letís face it, unless you are on the debate team you really don't enjoy watching others argue. Neither do we. We'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that this isn't a debate site. P|C members have been clear that they don't come here for arguments, or to be told that Apple/Android will soon rule the world!
This forum is about webOS. Arguing and trolling is decidedly uncool, and members are tired of it. Here are some thoughts about how to keep things friendly and helpful (please see the Forum Guidelines for complete rules of the road):
- This isn't a debate site. It's a user-to-user support community about webOS.
- Be polite. Everyone should feel comfortable reading submissions and participating in discussions. If your post is an attack on an individual, it's going to be a problem. If your posts appear to insult or disparage people that want to talk about webOS, don't bother posting them.
- Members don't want to read arguments between other members. You can tell someone that you don't agree without attacking them. You can have an opinion without abandoning civil discourse, and then move on.
- If your post primarily communicates that the reader shouldn't have bought webOS, shouldn't keep using webOS, or should realize the superiority of Apple or Android, refrain from posting - or visit our sister sites. Those sites exist for the benefit of people using other platforms.
- Do not post discussions of Pre|Central policies or procedures, or speculation on moderator decisions. Our volunteer mods should not be ignored when they chime in on a thread and try to refocus a discussion. We don't want to spend our evenings cleaning up arguments any more than you want to read them. Your cooperation is really appreciated.
We welcome constructive posts regarding non-webOS products as long as they are posted in the appropriate forum. Many members are interested in learning about other products, reading comparisons and reviews, or just keeping an eye on what else is out there.
What we don't welcome are trolling or trouble makers. We will immediately remove any thread or post that we decide has been made for the purpose of angering others and starting a flame war. We may also question the motives of someone who has joined the forums only to post about competitive platforms. Don't feed the trolls, but please report them here.
In keeping with our focus on webOS, we've made some changes such as future-devices has now been renamed "HP Palm News" and combining the "Cross-Platform" and "Other Handhelds" forums". Please note that it is not a place to argue. We all enjoy healthy comparisons of a variety of platforms and devices, but P|C is focused on all things WebOS. Device/Platform debates too often escalate to insults and attacks, which detracts from why WebOS users joined P|C; to share and learn how to better enjoy WebOS. Your post should be helpful for the person that will be reading it. If your post isn't making a positive contribution to this community, don't post it.
Our primary goals are to maintain a friendly environment, attract new members, and keep P|C the #1 site that WebOS enthusiasts turn to for news, discussions, and help - regardless of skill level. There is always a good mix of newbies, experts, and everything in between. We want this to always be a fun place for all of us to spend our time, and we want you to know that you have been heard.
There are great things coming to webOS and P|C would like to make your contribution to this community as rewarding for you as it is for those you help.
Your Forums Moderators and Admin staff.