1.    #1  
    HI all,

It seems that RIM has stepped into it big time. This article adroitly sums up RIM's problems when it states:

....That is rather interesting because, well, no one would say it went very smoothly.......

....Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis, (co-CEO's), gave long-winded, meandering, and sometimes confusing answers as to why they wouldn't do anything different in the way the company presented, launched, and raised expectations of its first go at a touch-screen tablet....

.......To be clear, RIM said today it has shipped "approximately" 500,000 PlayBooks since April 19. That means it sold even less than that. And since last fall when it introduced the PlayBook, the company has repeatedly underscored how its take on the tablet would launch it to the head of its class of competitors. The marketing campaign for the PlayBook that rolled out earlier this year declared rather boldly that "amateur hour is over."

Take care,

Jay

RIM CEOs defend problematic PlayBook launch
    Erica Ogg, June 16, 2011 5:05 PM PDT

RIM CEOs defend problematic PlayBook launch | Circuit Breaker - CNET News

The co-CEOs of Research In Motion don't seem to have any regrets about how the launch of its PlayBook was handled.

That is rather interesting because, well, no one would say it went very smoothly.

On the conference call after today's disappointing earnings announcement, Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis gave long-winded, meandering, and sometimes confusing answers as to why they wouldn't do anything different in the way the company presented, launched, and raised expectations of its first go at a touch-screen tablet.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    RIM CEO's are in big denial.

To launch the Playbook without native email, calender, contacts or BBM is ridiculous; and it still doesn't have native email or BBM.

RIM has their heads in the sand.
    "He seemed to be saying that RIM didn't have the option to wait much longer before pushing PlayBook out the door."

Yeah, when you copy another company's OS and that company hasn't released it's first tablet with that OS, then you need to get yours out first to make it look original.

-Skippy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post

To launch the Playbook without native email, calender, contacts or BBM is ridiculous; and it still doesn't have native email or BBM.

This is definitely the biggest issue with the launch of the device. Playbook and the Touchpad are similar in that they have the biggest appeal to those who are already a part of their software ecosystem, but at least the Touchpad will let you use email, calendar, and contacts even if you've never touched another webOS device in your life.
    I saw this chart in a Video on the Yahoo finance blog.

The Upside to RIMÔ€™s Downfall - Yahoo! Finance

Yeah, the Co-CEO's need to wake up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Smartfah; 06/17/2011 at 03:11 PM.
    IF RIM manage to push email, calender, contacts and BBM to Playbook, things will be different. It performs good and looks cool but I agree, launching it without their native stuff was big mistake for RIM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    IF RIM manage to push email, calender, contacts and BBM to Playbook, things will be different. It performs good and looks cool but I agree, launching it without their native stuff was big mistake for RIM.
    Hi,

I think it may be too late for them to do that...Wall St and many other firms have out out the perception that RIM is soon to be DOA...perception can make or brake a firm...

Take care,

Jay

PS why do you have a roach for an Avatar?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post

More like up their I'm sorry to say. To not have them ready to this day equals Motorola's boneheaded Xoom moves. They relied on BB fanboyism and loyalty but forgot new customers. Then with AT&T blocking Bridge, they may have angry or disappointed BB owners on their hands too. AT&T is flat out wrong in their greedy haste to likely view the Bridge as tethering, but no one would have had to worry about this to begin with had RIM gotten out their PIM apps.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think an even bigger problem than forgetting those crucial apps was their developer platform. It seemed like they couldn't decide what to do. They support traditional Java used in BB, support AIR, support Android (and 2.3 at that), support C/C++, and HTML5. Where do you start?

They should've focused on one tool. HP has Enyo, Android and Apple extended their existing development tools for tablets, and RIM threw a whole bunch of options at you. With all those options, how can one of them be optimized for tablets? Even if the apps start coming in, I can't see the experience being much better than any other tablet OS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    ...perception can make or brake a firm...
    That is true, but, I wouldn't assume Playbook as DOA yet, or RIM as beaten. Palm had good chance to hit RIM hard but we all know how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    PS why do you have a roach for an Avatar?
    Looks funny. If it's a problem I can take it off. Roach was my old avatar from MTDN days.
  11.    #11  
    Looks funny. If it's a problem I can take it off. Roach was my old avatar from MTDN days.
    Hi, It doesn't bother me,....Just curious, I got my degree in Horticulture which meant 2 years of Entomology.....just brought back the good old days....two if my friends who went to school with me where so grossed out by the fact that we all had to have insect collections for the final project...that they stored them under their beds...then they wonder why they had nightmares of humongous insects that ate people for dessert!

Take care,

Jay
    That and virtually no apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    More like up their I'm sorry to say. To not have them ready to this day equals Motorola's boneheaded Xoom moves. They relied on BB fanboyism and loyalty but forgot new customers. Then with AT&T blocking Bridge, they may have angry or disappointed BB owners on their hands too. AT&T is flat out wrong in their greedy haste to likely view the Bridge as tethering, but no one would have had to worry about this to begin with had RIM gotten out their PIM apps.
    You have to be a hardcore RIM "enthusiast" to want to buy a PB. Its basically the RIM foleo, a product than even Palm wasn't crazy enough to actually ship. Most BB users would be better off with an iPad.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You have to be a hardcore RIM "enthusiast" to want to buy a PB. Its basically the RIM foleo, a product than even Palm wasn't crazy enough to actually ship. Most BB users would be better off with an iPad.
    Hi all,

Back then the Folio might have been a hit...considering the Tech of the times. However, you are aright about the Playbook...it also might have been successful 6 or 7 years ago...not now!

Take care,

jay