Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It begins...

Found deep inside the iOS 5.0 SDK are graphics for an iPad capable of displaying a 2048 x 1536 resolution on its display. That amount of pixels also happens to be exactly double the amount of pixels on the current iPad (1024 x 768), making said graphics compatible with a future iPad that features an Apple “Retina Display.” These graphics include a “2X” marker within the file name and have been found in Apple iPad file systems before.

Earlier this year, iPad 2X graphics were found in the iBooks application and were immediately assumed to be for the iPad 2, which does not include a Retina display – as exclusively confirmed by 9to5Mac months before the device’s announcement. Those very iPad 2X graphics found in the iBooks application were in fact created months before their public discovery and the graphics were soon dismissed as an Apple graphic designer thinking into the future.

Today, we have iPad 2X graphics found in the Twitter frameworks portion of the iOS 5 SDK. These graphics were quickly dismissed by some as another Apple graphic designer thinking ahead due to rumors, but we think the opposite. See, iOS 5.0 is the first SDK to even support the 3rd generation iPad, as previously revealed, so it would make sense that some iPad 3 strings would be present.
    iOS 5 SDK includes Retina Display graphics for next-generation iPad | 9 to 5 Mac
    another story on this:

...Several media outlets have reported that Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL), which operates a retail store in Greensboro, will forego its anticipated March 2012 launch date for the next generation of its popular iPad mobile tablet and launch as early as September. In a report this past week by the Economic Times of Taiwan, the newspaper cited sources as saying Apple would unveil its third-generation of the iPad in the fourth quarter.

That report also included details of the iPad 3, such as having a screen resolution five to six times what the current iPad 2 has. That would push the screen resolution to 2560x1920...
    Is Apple’s new iPad 3 launching later this year? | The Business Journal
    Is it likely that this one will be more expensive? What do you all think?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    No way.
    If released the same year as the iPad 2? I wonder. Remember I said in another thread somewhere that iPad 2 customers could be very unhappy about that. Unless iPad 3 costs more.

Although that is a rumor. If they release next year, then I'd say you're right.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If released the same year as the iPad 2? I wonder. Remember I said in another thread somewhere that iPad 2 customers could be very unhappy about that. Unless iPad 3 costs more.

Although that is a rumor. If they release next year, then I'd say you're right.
    You can't hold back the pace of innovation for fear of innovating “too quickly”. I'm sure there are people that would be upset that bought iPad 2's, but that's no different than those that continue to buy iPhones literally weeks before a new iPhone releases.
    Apple will become more like Google. And you thought that would never happen.

You know how many have bought iPad 2, and if iPad 3 comes out at the same price before 2012, I will be hiding for a while, lol! After buying the iPad 3, that is.

But I don't want to see all that potential anger.

I can't see it being the same price. That kind of display, combined with the battery that would be needed, would be expensive. If they do offer it for the same price, I would say wow, they're trying to force everyone out of the market. Then I would expect them to get a call from the DOJ regarding an antitrust investigation.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I was thinking... Why not make a tablet with an hHD resolution? (1080x960)
    Makes a lot of sense to me... although I guess it would be close to a square. Still though...
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You can't hold back the pace of innovation for fear of innovating “too quickly”. I'm sure there are people that would be upset that bought iPad 2's, but that's no different than those that continue to buy iPhones literally weeks before a new iPhone releases.
    Are we talking about Apple? Apple is well known for holding back.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I can't see it being the same price. That kind of display, combined with the battery that would be needed, would be expensive. If they do offer it for the same price, I would say wow, they're trying to force everyone out of the market. Then I would expect them to get a call from the DOJ regarding an antitrust investigation.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    antitrust for what? making better product?
    Apple will become more like Google. And you thought that would never happen.

You know how many have bought iPad 2, and if iPad 3 comes out at the same price before 2012, I will be hiding for a while, lol! After buying the iPad 3, that is.

But I don't want to see all that potential anger.
    Any thoughts on you buying the Touchpad, or are you an Apple girl when it comes to tablets?
    I guess TP will get retina display in TP-3 then
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    I was thinking... Why not make a tablet with an hHD resolution? (1080x960)
    Makes a lot of sense to me... although I guess it would be close to a square. Still though...
    Why not 1920x1080?

LCD manufacturers are going to be making those for PCs, TVs, etc, so why not capitalize on that instead of going to 2048 x 1536?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i find the timing of thse leaks curious -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Another "feature" that normal users won't even notice. Can you hear the difference between compressed MP3 and raw files?

Next they'll announce a 90 mega-pixel camera.

Not impressed.
  17.    #17  
    You should take a look at the iPhone 4's Retina Display. I bet you'll be able to notice the difference between it and lower PPI displays.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Why not 1920x1080?

LCD manufacturers are going to be making those for PCs, TVs, etc, so why not capitalize on that instead of going to 2048 x 1536?
    Because that would make the tablet a 16:9 form factor. Plus, do you know of any manufacturers that are putting out 10" 1920x1080 screens for PCs, TVs, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You should take a look at the iPhone 4's Retina Display. I bet you'll be able to notice the difference between it and lower PPI displays.
    That depends on which type, age, and size of lower ppi display you're comparing it too. If we're talking 2 year old displays that are at half the resolution then definitely. If we're talking newer 800x480 displays in similar screen size then less likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The difference is like night and day. Once you get used to a retina display, everything else looks blurry.
    Retina is a year old technology and still there's nobody else match the technology. it's really amazing. One of the best thing about iPhone is the retina screen, there's no doubt. If iPad 3 gets the retina display and keep the same price, I am most definately getting iPad 3. I still have my iPad 1, and I really don't see the reason to upgrade my iPad yet. Let's see if Apple will be bring out iPad3 this fall.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast