Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Another "feature" that normal users won't even notice. Can you hear the difference between compressed MP3 and raw files?

Next they'll announce a 90 mega-pixel camera.

Not impressed.
    HUGE difference between lossless and lossy, no way around that. Perhaps unless you have hearing loss or have lost detail in your hearing. This one is likely for a lot of people due to age. But even I can hear the difference. The sound is fuller and richer. My computer speakers come back to life with lossless files, while MP3s are tinny. Using headphones is similar. Less detail in MP3, better clarity with lossless or even high bit rate lossy.

As for sight issues, yes you do notice the higher pixel retina display, especially in terms of clarity. Although I have read that people fear retina on a tablet could make the text too small. We'll have to see what happens.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    HUGE difference between lossless and lossy, no way around that. Perhaps unless you have hearing loss or have lost detail in your hearing. This one is likely for a lot of people due to age. But even I can hear the difference. The sound is fuller and richer. My computer speakers come back to life with lossless files, while MP3s are tinny. Using headphones is similar. Less detail in MP3, better clarity with lossless or even high bit rate lossy.

As for sight issues, yes you do notice the higher pixel retina display, especially in terms of clarity. Although I have read that people fear retina on a tablet could make the text too small. We'll have to see what happens.
    Nah, iOS scales fonts. That's why text is so much more readable on the iPhone 4 than on the iPhone 3GS, even when zoomed out.

I'm with you on the lossless vs lossy thing -- lossless is just objectively better in every way unless you're using really cheap equipment.
    Retina display on iPhone 4 makes my iPad 2 look kinda lame in the resolution department. That said, I don't buy into the paradigm of getting a new device every year. I don't care if it has 100,000,000 pixels.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    HP has options for the next TouchPad:
    Toshiba screen out-pixels Apple's Retina Display | The Digital Home - CNET News
    Samsung puts retina-display-like high-resolution screen on Galaxy Tab 10.1 - latimes.com

Since Samsung sells parts that are in the iPad 1 and 2, no reason they wouldn't also sell parts for the Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Because that would make the tablet a 16:9 form factor. Plus, do you know of any manufacturers that are putting out 10" 1920x1080 screens for PCs, TVs, etc?
    I haven't looked, but I would think that would be the next step after 1366x768 netbooks.
  6.    #26  
    Our sources are saying that not only will there be a newly designed iPhone coming in the fall, but there is going to be a new entry into the iPad family as well. As hard as it might be to believe, the new tablet is said to sport a double resolution screen (2048 x 1536), and will be dubbed the “iPad HD.” The idea behind the product is apparently that it will be a “pro” device aimed at a higher end market — folks who work in video and photo production possibly — and will be introduced alongside something like an iPad version of Final Cut or Aperture. This product is specifically said to not be the iPad 3, rather a complimentary piece of the iPad 2 line. Think MacBook and MacBook Pro.
    iPhone 5 redesign likely says WSJ, but have you met the iPad HD? | This is my next...

This is interesting. In a little over a year, we've gone from "there's no market for tablets" to establishing multiple segments of the tablet market.
    If you think the Retina display is hype you haven't seen an iphone 4 up close. Only just now are some phones matching the clarity and sharpness. Reason for the sharpness is they doubled the resolution but kept everything the same size, so everything just looks so much sharper.

Android made icons smaller on their qHD screens so you lose that sharper look...however the new Samsung display is brilliant.
  8.    #28  
    It seems John Gruber just casually confirmed the next iPad will have a Retina Display.
    I don't think anything so far matches the Retina display for sharpness and clarity. Although I heard Samsungs Super Amoled Plus is a close second.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12