Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    My wife bought me an iPad 2 for our anniversary and so far I really love it. I mainly love it because of the app support, but it is also much nicer than WebOS because it is much more fluid (not as laggy). Maybe the Pre3 and TP will fix the lagginess, we'll see.

However, I am REALLY missing gestures (although I know the TP will not have a gesture area) and, most notably, I am missing true multitasking.

I'm in Hong Kong on business and I tried to log into my bank's app on the iPad. Since I'm overseas, the bank's system wanted an extra layer of authentication via either text or e-mail. I don't get service in Hong Kong so e-mail verification was my only choice. I chose that and almost immedialy heard the "ding" on my iPad that the e-mail had arrived. I then "double clicked" the home button to activate the other "open" apps to go to e-mail. Copy and pasted my authentication code and went back to the bank's app.

Unfortunately, iOS's "multitasking" reset the bank's app and I had to log in again (aka start over completely). It asked me to authenticate via e-mail again. When I got to the next scree, I unknowningly put in the old authentication code (I didn't realized it was invalidated when I logged in the 2nd time). I hit "Submit" and nothing happened. Off screen was a message that my code was invalid. I hit the submit button 3 times thinking nothing had happened.

I am now locked out of my bank account until I can get a chance to call my bank and get this cleared up.

Conclusion: It is IMPOSSIBLE to log into this bank's app on an iPad while overseas unless you have a 2nd connected device, but then why would you want an iPad?

Thanks iOS "multitasking"!
    Nokia 6185 > Sanyo SCP-5300 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Pre> Franken Pre 2 > iPhone 4S
    (All Sprint)
    I think that's the app's fault. Some of my apps stay on the same page until I come back, some reset.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Sounds like it's the app's fault, not the iPad's. Is it even compatible with the version of iOS you are using?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Whether it is the apps fault or not, a true multitasking OS does not depend on the app to do anything when it is minimized. The OS handles the multitasking, not the app.

You prove my point by blaming it on the app.

Don't get me wrong, I like the iPad a lot. I would just love the iPad apps and iPad hardware with WebOS running on it.
    Nokia 6185 > Sanyo SCP-5300 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Pre> Franken Pre 2 > iPhone 4S
    (All Sprint)
    Android apps behave the same way. I also think the app has to actively take advantage of the multi-tasking.

Looking at some comments under Android banking apps(yes I know this is iOS, just had the Android phone on me), maybe the mobile website would have been better to use.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/13/2011 at 08:23 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    Whether it is the apps fault or not, a true multitasking OS does not depend on the app to do anything when it is minimized. The OS handles the multitasking, not the app.

You prove my point by blaming it on the app.

Don't get me wrong, I like the iPad a lot. I would just love the iPad apps and iPad hardware with WebOS running on it.
    Wrong. Even webOS has hooks to determine when an app is not active. There are guidelines on how to handle applications that are not "active" so that they are not detrimental to a users experience.

This is definitely the applications fault but not entirely. Most likely an oversight when they had security in mind (when one closes an app, you would expect to be asked for your credentials when reopened).

https://developer.palm.com/content/a...ed-application
    That's why I mentioned the mobile website. Mobile banking apps seem to have some restrictions to begin with.

And this is why mobile web apps are a better choice than downloading "native" apps for banking.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Wrong. Even webOS has hooks to determine when an app is not active. There are guidelines on how to handle applications that are not "active" so that they are not detrimental to a users experience.

This is definitely the applications fault but not entirely. Most likely an oversight when they had security in mind (when one closes an app, you would expect to be asked for your credentials when reopened).
    Not quite Daniel-Son. You see iOS apps (and AOS) have to "change state" when you leave their "active window" screens in order for them to save or use a background api.

webOS apps "can" have state changes but it is not required because the apps "active screen" is the card and as long as the card is unchanged (e.g. Minimized or closed) then the active state remains.

The OP's scenario on webOS:

-Open banking app
    -Ask aurhentication
    -Quick Wave to email (or card view\just type
    -Copy code from email
    -Adv Gesture back to app (or card view swipe back)
    -Paste code and done.

None of that "state change" nonsense.

(p.s. WebOS FTW. )
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Not quite Daniel-Son. You see iOS apps (and AOS) have to "change state" when you leave their "active window" screens in order for them to save or use a background api.

webOS apps "can" have state changes but it is not required because the apps "active screen" is the card and as long as the card is unchanged (e.g. Minimized or closed) then the active state remains.

The OP's scenario on webOS:

-Open banking app
    -Ask aurhentication
    -Quick Wave to email (or card view\just type
    -Copy code from email
    -Adv Gesture back to app (or card view swipe back)
    -Paste code and done.

None of that "state change" nonsense.

(p.s. WebOS FTW. )
    ... You're missing the point here. The developer of this bank app specifically developed the app to handle the way it's behaving. Had s/he left it to the OS to manage it would be the exact same flow you described above.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    ... You're missing the point here. The developer of this bank app specifically developed the app to handle the way it's behaving. Had s/he left it to the OS to manage it would be the exact same flow you described above.
    Not in iOS. The developers have to implement the savestate manually, iOS restarts the app if you leave it and return otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Not in iOS. The developers have to implement the savestate manually, iOS restarts the app if you leave it and return otherwise.
    Its automatic when compiled in the latest XCode. So that applies only to old, never-been-updated applications