Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A number of people have said that a lower price on the Touchpad would hurt sales. Of all the iPad competitors out there, only two have actually done well: the Nook Color ($249) and the Asus Transformer ($399). BOTH have prices well below that of the iPad 1 and 2.

ASUS to ship 300,000 Eee Pad Transformers in June, surpass all non-iPad tablet sales -- Engadget

ASUS has had a hard time meeting demand for its Eee Pad Transformer since the device's launch earlier this year, but we clearly don't have component shortages to blame. Jerry Shen, the Taiwanese company's CEO, says that he expects to sell 300,000 of the tablets this month, following shipments totaling 400,000 in April and May. That figure puts the device in the number two spot for worldwide tablet shipments, just behind the prevailing iPad 2...
    NO other tablet has sold well.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post

NO other tablet has sold well.

yet
    until TP comes along....
    Sprint | Palm Franken Pre
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    We are talking pure hype without actual evidence.

Asus is a listed public company in Taiwan --- in a country where public disclosure laws and public accounting laws are much weaker than in the US.
    eh I don't think this is diffinitive.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I had to wait to get my Assus.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    so does the acer iconia. it's not doing so hot right now

http://forums.precentral.net/other-t...0-percent.html

Ops. Wait, waait. How much is that iconia? (eats words) - Yah, i'ts $449. hmm.
    Last edited by Rkguy; 06/15/2011 at 01:10 AM.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    The Nook Color can function as a tablet, but I'd say it's competing more with e-reader space, than with tablets.

As for the Asus, I don't think it's just the price that is allowing it to sell well, but the way it docks with a keyboard to act almost like a laptop. The keybord dock also greatly extends the battery life by almost double, and I think that's what makes it stand out among other tablets.
    Well, iPad's lower price one of big reason is from OEM's cheap labour!
    I think other tablet should learn from Apple, some components and parts production giveto the OEM.
    The Nook is small plus it's marketed as more of an e-reader+ than as a full fledged ipad competitor. It has a 7" screen and a ARM A8 processor. Not exactly cutting edge but plenty of power for an e-reader.

The ASUS transformer has sold well because it's been one of the few Honeycomb tablets out there and it's more marketed for it's "transformer" characterstics of becoming a netbook than for it's quality as a standalone tablet. It's also noticeably cheaper than the Xoom. But that's the issue here. Android tablets are competing first and foremost with each other before the iPad and TP.

The iPad and the Touchpad are singular products. They aren't competing against other companies making a different hardware for the same OS. Samsung, Motorola, HTC, and ASUS are battling each other to sell the same product in different packages. They have to use price and gimmicks to separate themselves from the pack.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    so does the acer iconia. it's not doing so hot right now

http://forums.precentral.net/other-t...0-percent.html

Ops. Wait, waait. How much is that iconia? (eats words) - Yah, i'ts $449. hmm.
    It's only $50 less than the iPad 2 and the same price as the iPad 1. That's not really setting a new price point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    The ASUS transformer has sold well because it's been one of the few Honeycomb tablets out there and it's more marketed for it's "transformer" characterstics
    It hasn't been "marketed" at all.

Unless you count having a page on the ASUS website, there's been nothing to generate attention other than the regular gadget sites geeking out over it based on trade show coverage.

You won't even find a hint of it on store shelves because all the stores manage to sell everything they can get their hands through their websites without even having to waste floorspace on it. Online stores were even taking down the transformer webpages when they ran out to limit the number of phone calls and lost sales of other tablets.

Right now ASUS top management is ****ed that their lower level marketing guys didnít properly gauge the market that they could have taken from day one. Iím betting that today Leo would admit that would be a good place to be 3 months from now.

Android tablets are competing first and foremost with each other before the iPad and TP.
    Keep thinking that, but the reality is that having 3 or 4 Android tablets on the shelf next to the TP and ipad puts pressure on them.

The iPad and the Touchpad are singular products. They aren't competing against other companies making a different hardware for the same OS. Samsung, Motorola, HTC, and ASUS are battling each other to sell the same product in different packages. They have to use price and gimmicks to separate themselves from the pack.
    Call it gimmicky if youíd like, but the main reason I didnít wait around for the TP is because one of the Honeycomb tablets offered me more for my money. Looking at the various honeycomb forums, Iím not alone. Additionally, in those forums it is pretty clear that people are cross shopping the android tablets with the ipad as well.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    It hasn't been "marketed" at all...
    ...the main reason I didnít wait around for the TP is because one of the Honeycomb tablets offered me more for my money. Looking at the various honeycomb forums, Iím not alone. Additionally, in those forums it is pretty clear that people are cross shopping the android tablets with the ipad as well.

-Suntan
    I was wondering about those marketing claims. I have seen precisely 0 marketing for that product. As for the Honeycomb tablets, I have also been tempted. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is dangerously close to stealing away my TouchPad purchase.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    never seen an asus tablet before but the nook color is everywhere. They are doing very well. They had reps in bestbuy during christmas time and put them at the front door. I purchased one for my mom. I was about to get a kindle but the rep showed me the nook. The thing is awsome. It's pretty much a tablet minus the things people wouldn't use much. Camera, hdmi gyroscope, compas etc. It just started getting apps last month.
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    I was wondering about those marketing claims. I have seen precisely 0 marketing for that product. As for the Honeycomb tablets, I have also been tempted. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is dangerously close to stealing away my TouchPad purchase.
    Same reason I won't get an iPad, I won't get an android tablet... I don't want to have to manage two separate OS devices.

I plaid with my moms iPad, and a cheaper honeycomb tablet would be nice, but I would rather rock a Veer and a TP than a Pre3 and a honeycomb tablet. With all this competition out there, I want my phone and tablet to work together.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I don't think touchpad should be cheaper. I think hp should have different models with different specs with differrent prices. Just like buying a laptop from hp. Also no doubt hp will offer discounts and coupons. I purchased an hp envy with a $500 coupon and free 2 day shipping. Never ever buy hp products without a coupon. There is always one.
    Wait til the 7 incher comes out, wonder what they will price it at.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Same reason I won't get an iPad, I won't get an android tablet... I don't want to have to manage two separate OS devices.

I plaid with my moms iPad, and a cheaper honeycomb tablet would be nice, but I would rather rock a Veer and a TP than a Pre3 and a honeycomb tablet. With all this competition out there, I want my phone and tablet to work together.
    Yeah, I understand that motivation. I am probably going to end up the weirdo running an Android phone and a TouchPad.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Yeah, I understand that motivation. I am probably going to end up the weirdo running an Android phone and a TouchPad.
    Meh. Getting an android tablet is one of the main reasons I'm still keeping the Pre3 as a option for my next phone upgrade.

Not because I "just couldn't live without" WebOS, but because I now have access to vastly more than WebOS offers.

Anyway, these coments lamenting the thought of having to "manage" multiple OSs... Makes me picture my mother-in-law who never bothers to watch a movie because she doesn't want to have to deal with using two different remote controls...

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Meh. Getting an android tablet is one of the main reasons I'm still keeping the Pre3 as a option for my next phone upgrade.

Not because I "just couldn't live without" WebOS, but because I now have access to vastly more than WebOS offers.

Anyway, these coments lamenting the thought of having to "manage" multiple OSs... Makes me picture my mother-in-law who never bothers to watch a movie because she doesn't want to have to deal with using two different remote controls...

-Suntan
    It's not about "manging" multiple OS's, it's about having my mobile devices work together. Being able to share apps, and information. I don't want to have 2 different copies of things I will use on both (especially paid apps). I also really like Synergy, so having synergy on the tablet it a plus for me.

Same reason people pay for mobile me when they have an iphone and ipad....

As far as "managing" multiple OS's, I run 3 different versions of windows at home, dual boot one machine with linux and I am salvaging parts from a couple boxes to build a linux box for the bedroom that will pull media from my HTPC over WiFi. I will be happy to have my mobile devices just be 1, with the ability to apply the knowledge I have of WebOS to both.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast