1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

iPad Vs TouchPad – Head To Head – Main Bout!
    Reported By: Jimmy Borough

iPad Vs TouchPad – Head To Head – Main Bout!

The date has been set – the HP TouchPad will launch July 1 – right on the cusp of the Independence Day holiday weekend. Did that happen by chance? No way! HP wants the TouchPad to go head to head with the extremely popular iPad 2. Two and a half million iPad 2′s were sold within the first three weeks of it’s release. It’s not likely that the TouchPad can garner those kinds of numbers – after all, the first gen iPad was already hugely popular. People knew what to expect – a better version of something they already knew and liked. The HP TouchPad… that’s an unknown. But HP wants to make a splash, and by giving it lots of pre-launch hype, and launching it on a long holiday weekend, they might do just that.

Apple’s iPads have had other challengers. The Motorola Xoom, Galaxy Tab, and BlackBerry PlayBook have all tried to step into the ring with the iPad. But they were brushed aside before they even got close to the champ.
    But this new contender may be different. In many ways the iPad 2 and the HP TouchPad stack up with similar specs. They are about the same weight and size, with the TouchPad just a touch heavier and thicker. They both have a 9.7 inch, LED, 1024 x 768, 1323 ppi, touchscreen display. The both have dual core processors, the iPad 2 a 1ghz, the TouchPad a 1.2ghz. They both are available with 16 gb or 32 gb storage, though the iPad 2 also has 64 gb option. Both are 3G and wifi capable. Their are differences as well, the iPad has a rear facing camera, which the TouchPad does not. The TouchPad has more memory, 1gb vs 512mb.

But like happens with all the major fights, it will come down to the intangibles. The big one – TouchPad’s Web 3.0 operating system, webOS. It was originally developed by Palm, which was bought by HP. Will consumers find it as easy to use, and as fun, as Apple iPad’s iOS? And will the apps be there to allow users to customize and play as they do now on the iPad? In many ways, the specs won’t matter, it comes down to this… will users like it as much? Will the user experience be as good, or better, than the iPad 2? If it is, then the TouchPad and HP will be able to hold their own and make it a battle.

It’s unlikely that the TouchPad will beat or even come close to the number of iPad 2′s that were sold in it’s first month. That was a different situation, and a different time and economic phase. But what counts here is from July 1 and on. Will the iPad 2 and future versions maintain their dominance? Or can the HP TouchPad and it’s future versions pull ahead of iPad’s sales?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I think the iPad will keep its dominance and I really wish HP would have massively undercut the price in order to enter the market place with a splash . . . even if it caused a small margin crunch near term. We need more folks to realize the gem that WebOS is . . . and with the awesome team of distributors assembled at launch, pricepoint I believe will be an issue. Expect the fruitcompany to drop prices on the ipad2 in the next couple weeks or bundle with accessories.

I really wish the tPad could make a huge entrance . . . but I've not found any Lantern's with Genie's in it lately!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    I think the iPad will keep its dominance and I really wish HP would have massively undercut the price in order to enter the market place with a splash . . . even if it caused a small margin crunch near term. We need more folks to realize the gem that WebOS is . . . and with the awesome team of distributors assembled at launch, pricepoint I believe will be an issue. Expect the fruitcompany to drop prices on the ipad2 in the next couple weeks or bundle with accessories.

I really wish the tPad could make a huge entrance . . . but I've not found any Lantern's with Genie's in it lately!
    Hi,

Who knows if sales aren't as brisk as HP wants they may drop the TouchPad's price or bundle it with free goodies for the same price.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    HP has repeatedly referred to the tablet game as a "marathon", rather than a sprint. What this means is that they know that they're behind-- and they know there are more than one racers ahead of them. Before you can even consider the possibility of coming anywhere near Apple's sales numbers, you first have to get past the other guys in the race, I think.

There are a lot of variables in the equation, as well. HP will go after education and enterprise, and it's difficult to guess how that might affect sales and popularity (or at least awareness) of the platform. Certainly if the consumer market was their only market, it'd be a grim race ahead.

HP needs to convince the masses that this isn't the same "iPad wannabe" that so many Android tablets seem to be. It has to be different in some way.

Should be interesting to see how things play out.
    Got this from BGR. I'm rooting for HP webos regardless what the analysts think. The Touchpad is a totally different contender. I believe David will knockdown Goliath.

Analyst thinks buyers will choose iPad over TouchPad in battle of the Pads
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    it is a marathon and to expect all consumers to just drop apple as they have been adopting it for the past 10 years to just switch. but i think from what i see of webos 3.0 it will outsell ms and begin to give google a run for its money starting next year
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    something else I think people need to realize is that the Tablet race is not necessarily the PC race. We seem to be in this mindset that only one platform will win in the end. While there might be a "most popular" platform, I think it's silly to suggest there can't be 3 great options for people to choose from (hell, maybe 4 as Windows Phone 7 matures), based on your preferences with regards to the nuances of each platform.

If all else were equal (hardware and third party app support-- I know that's a big IF right now for HP), I see WebOS as a better / more interesting / compelling OS than Android. I feel like Android has gained the traction they have in the smart phone market due to a) the number of device makers and thus a proliferation of a variety of devices running that software, and b) at least in the US, the nearly 4 years of iPhone exclusivity on AT&T. Palm simply did not have the resources to keep up in that race.

Now, Android doesn't have nearly the head start on WebOS in the tablet market as they do in the smart phone world (where everyone has a phone and smart phones are being adopted ever more increasingly). So HP has a shot at being a solid number 2 in this market, which could be great.
    Anyone remember the leaked memo from the CEO of HP where he basically said they can't afford to fund money-losing ventures? I'd imagine that would be a big reason they're not undercutting the iPad.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Different economic situation? The economy was worse a year ago when the iPad was released and yet it sells like hotcakes.

I'd bet that the TP doesn't sell in two months what Apple sold in the first week
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    Got this from BGR. I'm rooting for HP webos regardless what the analysts think. The Touchpad is a totally different contender. I believe David will knockdown Goliath.

Analyst thinks buyers will choose iPad over TouchPad in battle of the Pads
    Hi,

Thanks...what I found very interesting is the comment section.....I can't get very how rabid Ipad users are.....heaven forbid that you make a negative comment about the Ipad.....

Yet for all of the bluster of the Ipad people....Android as overtaken Apple in smartphones...I think people are looking for an alternative to the Ipad....

I also have to say one of the posters mentioned Jobs' health and I have to say that I've mentioned that before......

Take care,

jay
    The apps are already too much in Apple corner, HP needs to pay out to 3rd party developer to match the App Store.

WebOS is a better OS in mind my currently, but with iOS 5 coming along with iCloud, Apple takes the cake for me.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by zap2 View Post
    The apps are already too much in Apple corner, HP needs to pay out to 3rd party developer to match the App Store.
    Hi all,

HP has said that they will pay to have apps written and/or ported to webOS if need be.....they've no stupid I'm sure they realize this as well.

Take care,

Jay