1.    #1  
    The solid state drive:

http://pda.physorg.com/news/2011-06-...notebooks.html

These babies pack 128GB of storage and are designed for tablets. Being SSDs, they improve the speed of pretty much everything, so load times for anything that doesn't require a data connection will be either very small or imperceptible. Plus, they offer low power consumption.

They're developed by SanDisk, who are providing the storage for the Touchpad. I would love love LOVE to see HP coming out with an SSD tablet in the near future.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I disagree completely. The only piece of hardware that matters is the GPU. That can have a lot bigger effect in my mind. Hardware acceleration is expanding its uses big time, its not just gaming anymore.

I will buy a laptop without a SSD today, but I will not buy one with an intel or other weak GPU.
  3.    #3  
    GPU will improve graphics performance, yes, but it won't have nearly the effect that an SSD will have. You can do a lot with a "weak" GPU, you just won't be able to run the cutting-edge games on the highest settings. But, an SSD will improve performance system-wide much more than good GPU. That, and you won't get people complaining about the lack of an SD card slot, since you get 128GB on-device storage.

But, a tablet with an SSD AND a good GPU will surely sell out.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    um, nething that creates a bottleneck sux.... from cpu, to cpu to mem, to circuit boards. everything is intergrated. wats really important is the software. its the software that can get arround the bottlenecks, the software is what we interact with. the software is what matters~!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    What sort of storage will the TouchPad have?
    Conditioner is better, I make the hair silky and smooth.
    The storage on the TouchPad is already solid-state.
    David Vogt - Founder and administrator of Photography Union
    Follow me on Twitter! --- Add me on Facebook!
    I think he's trying to say that we need to go higher with the solid state storage on tabs. 64GB max is the norm for tablets and some only go to 32GB. I'd go for 128, but the price will likely be the same as a laptop at first. You've already got the 32GB ones at laptop prices(albeit lower end laptops).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidVogt View Post
    The storage on the TouchPad is already solid-state.
    Meh, I guess you can say it is, but it's not the same as the SSD described in the article.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    The device in the article is a SATA SSD on a chip. SSD's use NAND for media, this is the same NAND that is used in all smartphones and tablets today. If anything using SSD's in tablets will make things slower since now the data will have to move through an interface that is optimized for HDDs not SSD's. However it will make things easier for the design engineers since they will be able to just drop in the chip and not be bothered with designing a storage subsystem.
    I upgraded my old 1.4ghz core 2 duo laptop to an ssd drive and it is now faster than my new hp envy. It does everything faster except it can't play games cause no graphics card. Anyway ssd makes a huge difference but! The touchpad already has solid state memory and it's very expensive to use higher capacity drives like that.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by chekmate View Post
    Here's the specs that matter. Google apps, Bing, xbox, Office, iCloud, itunes, netflix, facebook, twitter, connected devices, airplay, kindle, nook. Well, i guess that list of specs could go on.
    Those are apps, not specs.
    A bigger thing will be when HP is hopefully the first to replace the flash memory in their embedded device with memristor memory in the next few years.